Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:20:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: "Battle For Skira" modern PLA vs. USMC  (Read 22608 times)

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
    • Small Scale Operations Blog, my wargaming blog
Re: "Battle For Skira" modern PLA vs. USMC
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2014, 11:16:33 PM »
I have 1/72 scale kit from Trumpeter that should do it for now.  ;)

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2014, 05:11:51 PM »
Today I continued with sanding the parts of the wings and fuselage.

Here is what the wing's upper and lower half are looking like after I sanded them down:

And then glued together:

Obviously the parts will need some trimming here and there but more or less they fitting together quite well.

The two parts of the fuselage.

The fuselage was sanded down to a certain degree, too. I opened up the air intakes and cut out where the cockpit will be placed later on.

The parts so far...

I expected the wing to need some major trimming and cutting before it will fit onto the main fuselage, but to my surprise it won't be necessary.

I added small stripes of styrene sheet to one side. It will help to align the two halves and gives the model some sturdiness.

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2014, 07:52:34 PM »
It's been a while since I last worked on my Q-5 "Fantan".

I have added the air intakes and put together the two halves of the fuselage. As you can see, a lot of green stuff was necessary to fill the gaps. :-(

I have not sanded the model yet so the filled gaps look pretty rough on those pics. Once having sanded them and adding a layer of fine putty (even more sanding afterwards) I am sure it will be looking OK.

I have ordered a 1/72 scale MiG-19 since the Fantan and the MiG are similar in appearance and the Q-5 is based upon the famous Soviet fighter. Some parts of this kit will come handy to complete the Fantan.

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2014, 03:43:35 PM »

Slowly everything is coming together. The cockpit canopy (which I took from a MiG 19) still needs some filling with green stuff, the fuselage needs another go with putty in some places but other than that its starting to look like a proper airplane. If work continues to go on like today I might be able to put primer on next weekend. :-)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2014, 03:49:09 PM »
Do you actually use Kneadatite (Greenstuff) for the putty works? I always found that to be terrible to sand and switched to Milliput and MagicSculpt for that reason.

Apart from that, looking great now that the plan is coming together! It still is a strange-looking plane to me (somehow I find the side intakes irritating), but I'm sure it will look rather fine once assembled and painted.

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2014, 03:59:35 PM »
Do you actually use Kneadatite (Greenstuff) for the putty works? I always found that to be terrible to sand and switched to Milliput and MagicSculpt for that reason.

I do. I use it to fill larger gaps. Putty (Revell or Milliput) is then used to smoothen the surfaces. I haven't tried magic sculpt yet but I have heard that its not bad.

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2014, 08:54:02 AM »
Another couple of hours went into the build and this is the current status: some more work with putty here and there and I think I really can go over with primer this weekend. *yeah!*   :D

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2014, 06:19:08 PM »
I have put primer on ;-) All coming together now. Barely visible that it was not an injection-mould kit.
DSCF2867
DSCF2866

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2014, 11:27:34 PM »
Top effort - all the birds in here are beauties.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2014, 09:40:50 PM »

I have decided to give the Fantan a classic gloss white paintjob like its used with the PLA Navy air units. It just had the first layers painted on, so this is far from being finished of course. I painted the pilot (he's missing one arm, because otherwise I won't be able to fit the ejection seat into the cockpit - I'll glue it in place once he's in there).

Four FAB-250 low drag bombs that will go under the fuselage can be seen as well as a WIP of the Fantan's flight base.

This is what I am looking to achieve once completely painted:

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2014, 07:50:35 AM »
Excellent job on the build, you must have a very steady hand when it comes to cutting plastic!
Looking forward to paint.

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2014, 03:47:49 PM »
Excellent job on the build, you must have a very steady hand when it comes to cutting plastic!
Looking forward to paint.

Thanks. It needed A LOT OF sanding, putty and green stuff to get it look like this. Never again. ;D

Painting should be interesting. I want to put gloss varnish on top of the model (with decals in place of course) and then give it a pin-wash of black oil paint for panel lines...

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2014, 04:10:39 PM »
I have spent this afternoon with painting little details here and there, that I wanted to be finished before the gloss varnish layers are applied.

The decals have been taken from various Soviet aircraft and out of the vaccu-form kit itself. Surprisingly they went on quite easily although they were already pretty faded (probably very old). Good thing about faded colours is: it looks natural on an aircraft that is used by the Chinese navy.

The decals were applied using the Micro Set and Micro Sol solutions. I will let everything dry over night and apply the varnish tomorrow. That will allow weathering and pin (panel) wash with oil paints next week.

I am really excited how the kit turned out. I would have never imagined I am capable of building a vaccu-form model. But I can also tell you: it was probably the one and only I will ever assemble. ;-)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2014, 07:18:40 PM »
Coming together nicely
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2014, 07:30:50 PM »
Very cool...can't wait to see it mounted.  You going to dirty it up at all?
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!