Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:20:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Radioactivity signs  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
Radioactivity signs
« on: October 20, 2013, 09:35:26 PM »

20 scratch built warning signs for radioactivity. 15mm/20mm scale (though should work fine as 28mm as well), made with a paper punch and thin plastic card for the correct size, a piece of brass wire and Renadra 20mm bases. Decals are from the OOP set Hasslefree did years back and I never found a replacement for them so I'm now officially out, sadly. If anyone knows a source for these, let me know, ok!! Flocked with a ton of Mininatur tufts.

I want to use them to cordon off non accesible or otherwise heavily radiated areas like forests, junk yards and buildings. Of course, the first time that I will use them I will propably find out I don't have enough <sigh> They took forever, 4 weeks of using spare time in between feeds when I wasn't too tired to do them.

In the background is my Pripyat sign, still proud of how I managed to capture the real thing in a model.
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline forlorn

• Librarian
Re: Radioactivity signs
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 09:39:57 PM »
Great looking signs. Here's a funny story..

I do security at movie screenings for anti piracy and I was screening Chernobyl Diaries for the film society. A group of old women comes in thinking the movie is a documentary about the Chernobyl disaster.  About 30 minutes in when the Russian tour guide gets dragged away they stood up and walked out.

Anyhoo. Good job.
A dash of salt. A pinch of make believe. A dose of wishful thinking. A smidgen of truth. There you now have the recipe for a rumor.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 09:42:55 PM »
Decals are from the OOP set Hasslefree did years back and I never found a replacement for them so I'm now officially out, sadly. If anyone knows a source for these, let me know, ok!!

Great to see that Pripyat project again! Have a look for H0 scale decals by truck line or Herpa. I remember them doing some dangerous goods labels for containers and tankers which included class 7 (radioactivity) too.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 11:24:10 PM »
I saw a catalogue for a firm that makes security equipment - hard hats etc, plus door signs and things like warning tape.
The catalogue images are about the right size for 28mm when cut out, and give plenty of options for different hazards.
Unfortunately cannot remember where it came from (or where I put it).
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 10:50:32 AM »
Excellent work- reminds me of Call of Duty.
And you should feel proud of that Pripyat sign- its lovely.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 12:27:12 PM »
Nice signs! I'm glad you could find the time to make them.
Where did you get the paper punch?

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 03:20:10 PM »
<double post>
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 10:39:23 PM by wayswatcher »

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 10:39:00 PM »
Michi, already have a hazardous good sheet on order for pickup at Crisis...sadly, you only get 2 of each sign, no where near enough for my (weird) needs.

Fastolfrus, I really prefer decals over sticking paper to signs, just more practical for me I guess.

Modhail, Kruidvat, though I think Pippoos has a nice selection too, the models vary a lot though.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 01:08:08 AM »
Oooo... Nice.
You must be planning on some heavy duty radioactivity (Radio Activities  ;D).
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/