Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:35:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Trench Signs  (Read 2633 times)

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
Trench Signs
« on: October 26, 2007, 12:40:55 PM »
After being suitably impressed by the GWM WWI terrain boards, I've started my own trench building project.  I figured out that I'm too lazy to build my own trenches so I'm using these very nice ones from Acheson Creations:

http://www.tin-soldier.com/arrow/Trenches.htm

In order to make the trenches multi-purpose, I'd like to have a three sets of signs - English, French and German.  That way I can "dress" the trenches for each potential set of defenders!

I've been able to pick up some ideas for the English signs (typically named for streets from back home in Blighty, as far as I can tell - Pall Mall, the Strand, et al).  Charley's War and the GWM website are providing good sources of inspiration for these.  If I build a bunker, it will probably be called "The Ritz (no riff-raff)"!

Can anyone advise me on naming conventions used by the Germans and French for their trenches?  I've got "Bingo Crepescule" from "A Very Long Engagement", but is that typical for the French, or just a one-off for the film?  And while we're at it, how about the Turks and Russians?

Many thanks,

Will

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Trench Signs
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 12:57:19 PM »
Well, if you're going with high-end street names, there's always Unter den Linden or Kurfürstendamm though I don't know if the Kudamm had the same significance in WWI that it did in the post-WW2 era.

For the Turks, I'd use "Karagöz and Hacivat" who are sort of their equivalent of Punch and Judy. Sort of.