Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:30:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Master Thread for Things Found in Poundland, etc  (Read 82951 times)

Offline Jimmyg

• Bookworm
Re: Master Thread for Things Found in Poundland, etc
« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2017, 07:42:13 PM »
latest find from Morrisons supermarket a whole £3

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
« Reply #136 on: March 17, 2017, 09:53:52 PM »
Am I the only one who regularly carries a mini with him when I visit the dollar store and thrift stores?

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #137 on: March 17, 2017, 10:30:24 PM »
Am I the only one who regularly carries a mini with him when I visit the dollar store and thrift stores?

Probably! But I think I am going to start doing that too....
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Jimmyg

• Bookworm
« Reply #138 on: March 17, 2017, 11:25:16 PM »
I have to admit I measured a mini against my finger so I can judge that way

Offline bookshooter0

• Student
« Reply #139 on: March 18, 2017, 12:40:00 AM »
No, I carry a 28mm modern fighter armed with a ak47 were ever I go. At first I used to feel embarrassed when I noticed other parents watching me compare vehicles against it at wilko's, poundland, toysrus etc. But nowadays I just don't care & it at least saves the "do I/ don't I buy it moments"

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #140 on: March 18, 2017, 07:20:52 AM »
I always mean to have a figure with me, but often seem to have on the wrong jacket etc. I too then decided to 'scale' a figure against my thumb, I always remember to bring my thumb.

Offline Jimmyg

• Bookworm
« Reply #141 on: March 18, 2017, 03:12:08 PM »
1mt x 1mt false grass from home base £5.45

Offline Zaheer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #142 on: March 18, 2017, 03:14:07 PM »
I don't know about a figure, but I keep meaning to make a 'credit card' with silhouettes of figures on them to carry around.

Offline manfred

• Assistant
« Reply #143 on: March 18, 2017, 03:16:50 PM »
I always mean to have a figure with me, but often seem to have on the wrong jacket etc. I too then decided to 'scale' a figure against my thumb, I always remember to bring my thumb.

Brilliant! Particularly good for us who are "all thumbs".

But seriously, great idea!
My Terrain Blog
http://universalterrain.blogspot.com

My Figure Blog
http://heroesonthetable.adventuresandhobbies.com

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2017, 02:37:42 PM »
I had scaled figures against various coins, but I forgot which coin corresponded to which scale, lol!

Aha! The Canadian $2 coin is 28mm diameter; the $1 coin is 26.5mm; and the dime is 18mm.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 02:41:02 PM by WuZhuiQiu »

Offline chantyam the 2nd

• Assistant
  • Grrrr...
« Reply #145 on: March 21, 2017, 10:18:32 AM »
Home Bargains (U.K.) have the Batman vs Superman "Batwing" & others for £3:99 each ,looked at the cockpit it seemed more ideal for 15mm

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #146 on: May 15, 2017, 02:07:38 AM »
Hotwheels Warthogs from Halo
Poundlands the 1st place i've seen them

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #147 on: June 02, 2017, 10:50:07 PM »
Found in "Dollar Tree" (a dollar store chain) in the US:

According to the side, it's made of glass microbaloons in an acrylic binder:

Did some tests:

My initial intent was to see if it would be useful as a general gap-filler and texturing agent for foam and/or cardboard, but on testing it, the real gold is that it seems to be a really good snow.

Has a smooth powdery feel when wet, sort of like damp/wet sand, but finer, super low inertia, and with more binding. Very, VERY soft, so a feather-light touch is need to shape it, but mechanically it behaves a lot like scale snow. Very easy to push around into nice looking drifts and clumps, and you can see my attempt to make a 28mm scale footprint with a ball tool. Apologies for not getting a better photo of that, BTW. I think my next project is going to have to be finally sorting out some decent photo lighting kit.

When dry it has a finely porous powdery look with a touch of subsurface scattering, and is surprisingly firm. It flexes slightly, and takes fingernail impressions, but holds together solidly; rather similar to EPS foam, actually. It lacks the "glitter" of real snow, but otherwise looks really, really good!

The "wetness" visible around the edges of the cardboard sample in the pic is not part of the spackle, but rather results from my attempt to give it a little bit of "shine" using Future. The spackle itself doesn't soak or puddle substrates like that.

The Future experiment didn't really work. It soaked in, and looked good at first, but once it dried, it didn't really change the spackle's appearance at all, aside from that bit of gloss on the cardboard itself. The Future also seemed to rewet the spackle a bit, making is soft (not re-dissolved, just squishy like soft rubber) until the Future dried. Pure water also has this effect. The major takeaways from this experiment were 1) that the dried spackle is fully porous like an open-celled foam, and 2) it may be worth repeating the experiment with a non-water based clear. Would want to make sure it's a non-yellowing clear though.

The label says you can soften it with a little water if it's too dry. I tried that, and although it works, it seems to cut the acrylic binder unevenly, causing the Spackle to dry with a much coarser porosity. Not good for regular snow, but good for slushy, partly melted snow. Strength seems unaffected though.

Although the label says "paintable in 30 minutes", this was not the case with my tests. In my experience, you really want to let it dry overnight. Very, very thin applications are safe to handle within an hour or two, but anything with any thickness needs to be carefully set aside and not touched 'till the next day. By said next day though, it'll be completely safe to handle or paint or whatever.

Oh, and it does work well as a gap filler and texturing agent. It's even sculptable as such, and could be used to add nice 3D stonework to cardboard and other things like that. Though as previously noted, it really takes a feather-light touch to sculpt.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 11:24:05 PM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline rjo

• Lurker
« Reply #148 on: June 03, 2017, 03:04:44 AM »
I use stuff called 'no more gaps' for adding texture to cardboard. Just dab it on with a brush.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #149 on: June 03, 2017, 04:33:47 AM »
Sure, sure....

But can you apply it 5mm thick and sculpt with it? Does it look like snow? Does it cost less than a buck?