Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:12:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690916
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anybody tried out Skirmish Sangin?  (Read 8280 times)

Offline richarDISNEY

• Mad Scientist
  • Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club
Anybody tried out Skirmish Sangin?
« on: March 19, 2014, 03:48:48 PM »
I just saw the YouTube review for this game ( ) and I am really intrigued by it.

I was hoping that someone can tell me if its a good game compared to Force on Force.

Also does anybody know who sells it in the USA?

Thanks!
"What exactly is a 'Headpiece to the Staff of Ra'?"

RicharDISNEY

Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club

Offline ivelilla

• Bookworm
Re: Anybody tried out Skirmish Sangin?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 04:29:15 PM »
Yes I like a lot the system.

You need less miniatures than Force & Force. For me F&F is for 1/72 and Sangin for 28mm. But this is my personal opinion.

The mechanics is very easy, first I read was the free example, and with this, I understand very easily the book.

I'm from Barcelona, I paid for the pdf. I don't know who can send you to USA.

best regards
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 04:31:10 PM by ivelilla »

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 05:01:53 PM »
A very good ruleset in the very small skirmish level. You can download an small AAR in their web. It is perfect to play with 28mm miniatures.
I have some entries in my blog about this ruleset: http://juan-manche.blogspot.com.es/2013/04/skirmish-sangin-game-2.html

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 06:51:12 PM »
Isn't this the one where the authors insist bad guys don't use RPGs?

Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 06:59:11 PM »
Never mind.   I was thinking of operation squad.

Offline Mathyoo

• Scientist
    • My blog here!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 06:32:05 AM »
I'm trying to get hooked by it, too, as all I see are great reviews.
What puts me off even from trying the sample rules (and I am not proud of that!) are the percentages. This is very personal opinion, as I am no fan of numbers, so don't listen to me :D. Perhaps someone who plays it regularly could explain that to me in a very user friendly way? :D

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 12:26:28 PM »
Played it once and quite enjoyed it.

Offline Watts

• Bookworm
    • Toronto Historical Miniature Gamers
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 01:31:41 PM »
I love Skirmish Sangin. Our group plays in 28mm so we get a chance to use the gorgeous Empress models ;)

I would say the rules seem odd on paper but flow really well on the table top. My one gripe is that there are potentially a lot of counters on the table (something I don't like very much) but I found a way around it by making a "unit card" for all my models and putting the counters on there instead (similar to the way Warmachine/Hordes works).

Anyway, it's my favourite skirmish level game and you can get the rules as a PDF if shipping is too much to your location.

Offline AlexM

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 01:45:16 PM »
It's a wonderful game! The % rolls are actually quite easy, it's all whole numbers, so it's basic math :)

Having contributed to the Despatches supplement, I may be biased, but I think it's hands down the best small scale skirmish game out there, and definitely captures the in-theatre feeling of Afghanistan the way it's been written. Easily adaptable to other conflicts as well.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 09:25:14 PM »
Hey RD,
I ordered the PDFs and printed them off at office Max, But if might actually be cheaper if you want a full color version to just order it from them.

Here is a link to their blog. Lots of help on how to build a force and some ARRs.

http://skirmishsangin.blogspot.com/
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 10:36:52 PM »
I purchased the hard copy of the rules a while back, and while I haven't played it yet I can already tell I like it a lot. The website's tutorial/demo PDF convinced me to buy it. Low figure count games look to be as good (if not better) than bigger actions, and I really love the D100 system, always have, always will. It isn't any more complicated than any other system, just offers more depth. Judging by some of the content on the Sangin Blog, these rules will easily work for other stuff as well as Afghanistan.

Offline AngusPodgorny1969

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 01:01:46 PM »
There are over 20 modifiers just for spotting a target and another 20+ for shooting.

:o

And then there are the Star Fleet Battles-style "interlaced impulse system" for actions and the numerous status-tracking counters.

How can anyone possibly describe this as "simple" or "easy"?

Seems like one of those bottom-up designs from the 70s in which the writers try to model every possible last detail and hope the result is something like the real world. WRG-style laundry lists of modifiers are best left in the 70s and 80s along with bell-bottoms, wide ties, and perms on men!   :)

Offline Watts

• Bookworm
    • Toronto Historical Miniature Gamers
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 04:54:42 PM »
It's really not as bad as it looks on paper – on the table things flow very well. I was a bit daunted at first read as well but it's really a pretty easy system to pick up.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 10:39:33 PM »
It's really not as bad as it looks on paper – on the table things flow very well. I was a bit daunted at first read as well but it's really a pretty easy system to pick up.

I've been looking at something to use with my new Empress moderns and was looking at this. I like the focus on the individual figured but I can see my group being put off by the level of detail. It would be one of those games where only I ever learn the rules!

I've also looked at Flying Lead and modifying the Hearts & Minds supplement to a more South China Sea locale. That seems less onerous while retaining character.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 04:49:47 PM »
I've also looked at Flying Lead and modifying the Hearts & Minds supplement to a more South China Sea locale. That seems less onerous while retaining character.
Now the "rules I only read"-Problem. With Flying lead you can also easy use Fistful of Kungfu and all the other stuff of "Songs of...". It is not a fault to use this.

Skirmish Sangin is more Roleplay for me, what makes it so interesting. This is real skirmish
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/