Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:33:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Is Skirmish Sangin Solo friendly?  (Read 2036 times)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Is Skirmish Sangin Solo friendly?
« on: April 05, 2014, 03:02:44 PM »
All,
      I seldom have a face to face opponent, and most of my gaming is solo.  I am fairly used to trying to play both sides fairly, but it doesn't always work. I am very intrigued by what I have heard about Skirmish Sangin.  From your experience so far, will it work solo?
                                                                              Nick

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
Re: Is Skirmish Sangin Solo friendly?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 03:28:52 PM »
Caveat: I have only read the rules and have still to play...

but there is no hidden stuff in the rules. No secret cards. The author even encourage people in two player games to no react to things their soldiers on the table cannot see. I would say there is nothing that will hamper sound solo gaming.

Of course there will be more on this on my blog after extensive playings but at the moment I judge this game extremely solitaire friendly. 

Arrigo
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 01:02:15 AM »
I would love to buy the hard copy, but with no US source, it would cost me $66.00 with shipping from the UK!!!!  I would never pay that sort of price for a set of rules.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 04:48:40 AM »
Yip, the P&P cost are rather hefty indeed. I contacted them about the P&P through their website but never got a reply back... so instead of purchasing the book I bought the pdf instead.

Still reading the rules so no comment on the solo friendliness at this point yet.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 06:46:55 AM »
I got the PDF too and just finished reading it last night. As activation is based on a figure's Body rating it would make activation in solo play easy. Assuming that you took a 'threat assessment' approach and targeted the closest or most immediate danger with each figure it should work fine for solo play. Some of the more advanced features may be less interesting to play (for example catching your opponent out with an off-table sniper or mortar strike) but the single figure activation approach looks like it could suit solo games. If you played one side as 'your' side you could also randomise the 'enemy' side's actions by making a morale test to see how aggressive they were or something like that; pass it and the figure makes an aggressive move or attack, fail and the figure fires from cover (possibly quite ineffectively), for example.

I really liked the rules, with only a few niggles here and there. What I did find a bit off-putting were the text errors that made the rule or example a little unclear. It could have done with tighter proofreading.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 07:39:32 AM »
The company appears to be New Zealand based so quite possibly the text errors are actually translation errors. Read it again and substitute most of the vowel sounds with 'uh' and sees if it makes more sense. Kiwi is a notoriously difficult language to translate into English.

:D
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 07:46:11 AM »
 lol lol ^^

played a game with the writers late last year, really impressed with the rules
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 01:36:47 AM »
The only kiwi phrase you need to know is "yeah, nah".

I think they would work as a solo game if you add some rules for solo play.The combat phase is great and would suit solo play IMHO.

Cheers
Kieran