Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:59:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Female Indian Shaman: any figures suitable?  (Read 11134 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Re: 28mm Female Indian Shaman: any figures suitable?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 02:31:29 PM »
<snip>Being Privateer Press figures, which require lots of fiddly and irritating assembly, they may already come with detached heads. That would help.

It's an unintended benefit!

In between the fantasy and wishful thinking there are some images that may be helpful.  I have only begun to plumb the depths to find gold among the dross.

Gracias,

Glenn

« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 02:34:12 PM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de Espańa,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 03:13:41 PM »
As far as the Tharn go, the first one in the middle has a separate head, the other ones have their heads attached.

You can buy individual parts from their store:
http://store.privateerpress.com/circleorborosunits.aspx

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 06:20:41 PM »
As far as the Tharn go, the first one in the middle has a separate head, the other ones have their heads attached. You can buy individual parts from their store:
http://store.privateerpress.com/circleorborosunits.aspx

Good to know! This is a nice figure, and there should be plenty of heads out there for potential swapping.

I feel these are obviously posed but might be more realistic...

I wasn't there. I am not sure how you would get this look in a miniature.

Very interesting stuff! But an added complication, not noted here so far, is that the Indian Shamaness I'm working with is a Cheyenne (doesn't have to be, but for now she's based on an actual warrior named Yellow Haired Woman) and is a member of a Wild West Show touring the world but doing covert work for the US Secret Service. So her costume, whatever it is, would be an idealized or "Hollywood" version of her traditional garb.

I wonder what tribe the shamaness in your first link is from?

Moving on, someone told me about the following figures from Eureka's Fantasy range that have promise (mainly the two ladies on the ends):

These are not listed on their US website, only their main Australian website. Shipping to the States costs nearly twice the cost of the figures! Ouch!

I went through Dark Sword's figures (expensive, yes, but I love them :-*) and came up with three possibilities, all of which would have to be converted in some way:

Female Wild Elf Warrior DSM1164 (needs a halter top [she's bare-breasted] and a more substantial loin cloth)
http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/female-wild-elf-warrior.html

Wood Elf Goddess Avatar form DSM7442  (needs more American Indian detailing bits and perhaps feathers in her hair)
http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/featured/wood-elf-goddess-avatar-form.html

Female Amazon Warrior DSM7422 (needs more clothes up top [she's wearing a skimpy bra-type top] and a more substantial loin cloth)
http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/female-amazon-warrior-504.html

All three have feathers as ornamentation in some way, but the weapons and/or staffs would have to change, and shields would have to go. Again, Reaper's Deadlands accessory sprue would be the ticket here.

Mike O

« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 06:31:26 PM by oabee »
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 08:28:43 PM »
Wyrd Miniatures Myranda from the Malifaux range might be suitable if you can find someone with a 1st Ed metal model in stock?
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline Harrymason

• Bookworm
  • keeping my brain
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 06:49:54 AM »
How about Yrsa the Accursed from Red Box Games? This is the old version of her, which I prefer.

Offline aiteal

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 10:50:32 AM »

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 02:49:22 PM »
Good to know! This is a nice figure, and there should be plenty of heads out there for potential swapping.

Very interesting stuff! But an added complication, not noted here so far, is that the Indian Shamaness I'm working with is a Cheyenne (doesn't have to be, but for now she's based on an actual warrior named Yellow Haired Woman) and is a member of a Wild West Show touring the world but doing covert work for the US Secret Service. So her costume, whatever it is, would be an idealized or "Hollywood" version of her traditional garb.

<snip>

Some (God knows not all) might be useful for inspiration::

http://www.google.com/search?q=traditional+cheyenne+woman+clothing&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=45YxU4GnK6GSyQGBw4DYBA&ved=0CCcQsAQ&biw=1259&bih=593

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 02:54:26 PM »
How about Yrsa the Accursed from Red Box Games? This is the old version of her, which I prefer.

I was unaware of this figure---duh, that's the point of this whole discussion, isn't it?---and it's a wonderful sculpt. For those also unaware, the NEW version looks like this:

Although these are well done and I can think of multiple uses for them, and will definitely pick one up, all the skulls and the nudity don't fit my immediate purpose without a lot of conversion. Thanks for the heads up, Harrymason!

Foundry's Thousand tribes command?

Another very nice figure! The dress is very appropriate, but the headdress wouldn't quite work---that shouldn't be a big problem removing and building up with green stuff. The eagle (I think it's an eagle, could be a hawk, hard to tell from this angle) would also have to go---she could be holding the Reaper staff there easily enough. The sword could become a knife. Definitely a possiblilty, with some work. Thanks, aiteal.

Wyrd Miniatures Myranda from the Malifaux range might be suitable if you can find someone with a 1st Ed metal model in stock?

Noble Knight Games here in the States had her in stock, I ordered her last night, and she's already been shipped as of 9 AM this morning! Don't know how good their international service is, but Noble Knight is a superb source for everything about gaming, whether what you're looking for is out of print or brand new. Shipping options are cheap, as well.

OK, enough for the plug for Noble Knight. Myranda is very nice, and is one of the best options for my shamaness. She's a figure I'd like to have in any case. Just a few minor additions, like more feathers and maybe a knife in her hand, painting her clothing as buckskin, turning the skulls-belt into a simple belt or sash, and maybe adding some fringe, and she would fit the bill. Thank you julesav! For those who haven't seen her, here she is:

Wow  o_o there are a whole lot of fine figures out there! If they won't work for this project, many will fit the bill for my next: a Martian female company based on the girls from Tin Man's latest Kickstarter (Lost Worlds' Princesses). Many of these figures listed above would fit right in with minimal or no modification.

Regards,
Mike O

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 02:54:43 PM »
<snip>

I wonder what tribe the shamaness in your first link is from?

<snip>

This may help:

Clayoquot
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Clayoquot /ˈklękwɒt/ is an anglicization of the Nuu-chah-nulth language name "Tla-o-qui-aht", one of the indigenous tribes of the region so named. It may refer to:
Clayoquot, British Columbia, historically also known as Port Cox, a community on Stubbs Island, just northwest of Tofino, British Columbia
Clayoquot Sound and the associated region, including:
the Clayoquot River
Clayoqua 6, an Indian Reserve at the mouth of that river
Clayoquot Arm Provincial Park
Clayoquot Plateau Provincial Park

the Tla-o-qui-aht First Nations, a band government of the Nuu-chah-nulth peoples, incorporating a number of historical tribes including:
the Tla-o-qui-aht people (the two other groups comprising the Tla-o-qui-aht First Nations are the Hesquiaht and the Ahousaht)

HMCS Clayoquot, a Canadian minesweeper sunk in World War II

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 03:12:14 PM »
Some (God knows not all) might be useful for inspiration::

Isn't the internet wonderful? Do you young-uns realize how difficult it would have been 25-30 years ago to gather the information about native Cheyenne female dress Glenn did with just a few keystrokes?  :)

Anyway, Glenn, a great point. My character would go in one of two directions: as a dedicated shamaness whom has found unique favor with Wise One Above, she would shun ornamentation a-la-Crazy Horse, or, as a member of a Wild West Show she would go the Hollywood route (or the 19th Century version thereof). The heavily ornamented-showy look---beads, fringe, jewelry---would require green-stuff work or other modifications on just about every one of the figures discussed here.

My initial conception of the character is that she would eschew unnecessary ornamentation, and wear only those items of ritual importance and power, including a medicine pouch/bundle (the character's medicine bundle, for example, provides the mystic force that gives her armor protection from all attacks), feathers, jewelry featuring objects of power, etc.  But, hey, I'm open to alternatives.

Thanks, Glenn!

Mike O

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2014, 03:34:12 PM »
Clayoquot /ˈklękwɒt/ is an anglicization of the Nuu-chah-nulth language name "Tla-o-qui-aht", one of the indigenous tribes of the region so named.

Oh, I thought Clayoquot was her name, not her tribe!

As to Eureka USA: I contacted them about acquiring the Native American Warrioress figures in Eureka's Fantasy range (discussed above). Robert emailed back that he was going on vacation and Eureka in Australia is about to shut down for 3 weeks, so it would be about two months until I could get the figures through Eureka USA! So I bit the bullet, ordered from Australia, and paid the shipping.  :'( On the plus side, Eureka notified me yesterday the order is already being packed, and should be on its way soon.

Another thing I haven't mentioned is that I will be doing the Apache Company for IHMN at some point, and will need another shaman (I definitely prefer female) and wouldn't mind having some female warriors in the band. So I have multiple uses for all these ladies we're discussing.

As to using 18th-century Native Americans; again, that would require modification. I have a large collection of French and Indian War Woodland Indian warriors, and they differ in many aspects from 19th-century Plains Indians. But then, every figure we've discussed seems to require some conversion.  o_o Oh, well......

Mike O

Offline Mainly28s

• Scientist
  • Granddad, 28/8/1944
    • The 28mm review site
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2014, 03:37:16 PM »
What about Goldmoon from the Dragonlance setting-

http://www.fantasypartystore.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=121
Olaf Meys
admin at Mainly28s.com
also known as le Comte du Flandre and Immelmann

http://mainly28s.com

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2014, 07:20:23 PM »
What about Goldmoon from the Dragonlance setting-

Figure:  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Price:   :o :o :o :o :o :o

This figure is perfect for my character. Before I spend an EXORBITANT amount of money on it, is this a true 25mm figure? Does it mix with 28mms, especially some of the "heroic" figures like the Cowgirl Tombstone figures from Black Scorpion (which aren't as tall as the male Tombstone figures)? Or does the fact that it has been built up on its base slightly (and will be further built up on a 25mm base) compensate for any shortness compared to other figures? Could she pass as a shorter---say 5'0"--woman?

Thanks for the heads-up, Mainly28s. To anybody listening: I really need to resolve the height-compatibility issue before making a decision on this one!

Mike O