Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:01:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: York  (Read 4420 times)

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
York
« on: March 22, 2014, 11:23:21 PM »
Going to York for a break soon. Anyone know of a good model shop in the town that isn't GW?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: York
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 06:34:00 AM »
Going to York for a break soon. Anyone know of a good model shop in the town that isn't GW?

I'm not sure about model shops but you could do a lot worse than to stop off at the Jorvik Viking Center:

http://jorvik-viking-centre.co.uk/

Darrell.

PS. Jorvik Viking Centre is a little way out of town too but really worth the visit if you're interested in Early Medieval history. Here's the address in the event you may fancy going:

Coppergate Shopping Centre, York, North Yorkshire YO1 9WT

The Richard III exhibition starts in April I think- that's at Micklegate Barr and

2014 Opening times: (usually open every day).
1st January – 24th January, 2014: Closed
25th January – 9th February, 2014: Open weekends, 11am – 3pm
15th February – 23rd February: 10am — 4pm
24th February – 30th March: 11am – 3pm
31st March: Closed, re-opening 3rd April

Hope that is of some help?

Darrell.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 05:48:55 AM by Atheling »

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 08:33:58 AM »
Monk Bar Models is mainly trains, scenery, plastic kits, etc. I don't recall it having any wargames stuff. It's also next to the Richard III museum if I remember rightly; it's just up a tower on the wall.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 08:56:03 AM »
Monk Bar has a pretty good selection of kits though, including quite a good range of HaT figures, Zvezda, etc. Last time I was there they had an interesting range of pre-assembled WWII vehicles (unfortunately 1/32, but some interesting ones including a Landing craft), just in poly bags rather than the expensive boxed ones.
The Model rail stock can have some useful terrain bits.

Also worth looking in Boyes department store (not far from Monk Bar) they have stuff in the hardware department. Not sure what York branch has, but Scarborough stocks the full range of Valejho paonts  (including airbrush ones) and pigments. They sometimes have the "optivosor" lens things. They also had a beginners level airbrush for about £8.

Apart from that there is Travelling Man (pretty much opposite Boyes), a comic book store that sells board games, RPGs etc.
When are you going?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 04:52:08 PM »
Fastolfrus has it.

IIRC, there's also a model railway/RC car shop on Piccadilly that has modelling materials.

Best thing you can do is take loads of pictures of the Roman and Medieval walls and ruins for inspiration.  I'd take in both museums, the Clifford Tower, the Minster and Jorvik for ideas.  Go on AT LEAST one evening ghost walk - they're pretty good historical talks as well.

Eden Camp is out of town, but has a lot of WWII vehicles and historical artefacts.

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 10:34:07 PM »
When are you going?

All being well we're going at the end of April.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 11:55:06 PM »
I don't know how solid your plans are but theres more going on in the York,in early May,Elvington air museum has a ww2 re enactors weekend with a fly over of period planes,lots of vehicles and a collectors market,Theres also Merton farming museum sound odd I know but its great for the Dark Age fan,as it has a full size reconstruction of a viking/saxon village on the foot print of a real site.The thatch on some of the buildings is getting a little shabby,but its a easy going site were you can access most building and poke around without leaning over red ropes.
Sundays are the best time to visit as re enactors often there.if you leave York on the A1079 both sites are sign posted on the main road about 2 miles out of town.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 07:06:41 AM »
Clifford's Tower is nice, too.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 07:28:06 PM »
Cheers, folks! This is really helpful.

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 07:35:52 PM »
Last time I was in Monk Bar they had Perry and Warlord plastics, but no blisters.
Travelling Man usually carries Mantic, GW and PP stuff.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 07:42:51 PM »
The Richard III exhibition starts in April I think- that's at Micklegate Barr

It's actually at Monk Bar immediately above the model shop. Micklegate Bar is going to be Henry VII.

There's also Boyes for modelling supplies but they don't go much beyond paints etc and a few Perry/GW packs.

Alongside the other suggestions if you are in town you could visit the Castle Museum (very near to Jorvik and Clifford's Tower) or the Yorkshire Museum. Don't forget the Minster as well if you're into that kind of thing, it's a magnificent building.

PM me if you have anything specific in mind I could definitely point you in the right direction as I live in York.

Offline Mahwell skel

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 09:26:39 AM »
Go on AT LEAST one evening ghost walk - they're pretty good historical talks as well.

Do this definitely. Went on one (admittedly a long time ago) it was brilliant.

Offline Diplomatist

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 09:08:28 PM »
Monks Bar have a website if you want to suss it out in advance - http://collectable-models.co.uk/

No chance you'll be there on 3 May?  Blog-Con will be at the Yorkshire Air Museum - http://wargamesblog-con.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 09:14:42 PM »
This is great info. Now all I have to do is convince the wife that looking in model shops is a legitimate use of a holiday.......!

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 09:45:11 PM »
York is my nearest town and I have spent plenty of time and money in travelling man ... didnt know Biyes sold paints ... must pop in next time I am in!