Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690674
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Giant Pulp Game at Cincycon (More photos added)  (Read 2332 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Giant Pulp Game at Cincycon (More photos added)
« on: March 23, 2014, 03:09:53 AM »
So, I took Dakota Smith and all his friends and enemies down to Cincycon this weekend. I set up the 6'x4' table with pretty much every piece of terrain I've created recently -- cliffs, SE Asian temples, rope bridges, cannibal cookpot, etc. Rather than use Pulp Alley as I am for the games at home, I trotted out Flying Lead -- the modern equivalent of Song of Blades and Heroes rules engine. I've run those rules for years now, and felt more comfortable handling 8 players at a con with them. The board was actually two separate 4-player games joined together by the rope bridge and island in the river.

I filled all 8 slots both games and the players said they had a blast. Lots of cinematic action, high adventure, and laughs. Here are some pics I took from the first night's game.

The board was a big hit with the players, and got lots of nice comments

Close up of the board, with the river dividing the boards. Notice the large temple in the upper left and the giant, Petco statue in the river island.

Svetlana's international smuggling ring advances towards the jungle hut

Von Jaeger and the German archeological party, with a force of German sailors, advance on the jungle hut on the other board

Harris McLeod leads the British Museum party, guarded by a force of Sikhs, survey the area around the big temple

The Order of the Fire Coral infiltrates the temple area, looking to secure artifacts from the prying hands of the foreign devils...

The Pygmy Cannibals were vicious and deadly, swarming over the martial artists of the Fire Coral and then attacking the Germans and Americans

Pierre Fournereau's French archeological party and their Senegalese Askaris seize the high ground

Tatko and Jaz Minh of the Order of the Fire Coral sprint up the cliff path to be the first to make it to the river island

Other agents follow them and cross the rope bridge in their path, while below Jaz Minh -- who fell when making the leap into the lap of the stone god -- scrambles away from the hungry, hungry hippo

Meanwhile, H.T. (playing the Pygmy cannibals) notices that the martial artists have split half of their strength off...it is a well-known fact that Pygmy Cannibals highly enjoy Chinese food!

One by one, the Fire Coral's agents remaining on that half of the board are surrounded, beaten down, and dragged off to the simmering cookpot -- including the leader, Opay

Meanwhile the British climb up their side of the cliffs to squabble over it with the French

It became quite the scrum on top of the cliffs. Peace broke out for a moment in Anglo-Franco relations, but it was quickly tossed aside as close-range shotgun blasts proved too tempting!

The final, climactic battle royale atop the cliffs. When the martial artists attempted to cross over to join in, Harris McLeod cleared the bridge with a shotgun blast that pitched three into the water

After securing the fabled artifact, the Tears of the Buddha, from the island temple, Tatko decided to bypass the bridge and instead take a shortcut through crocodile and hippo-infested waters. The burly martial artist ended up being guest of honor in the resident crocodile's dinner plans...!

All in all, the game was a blast. I ran it again with 8 new players the next morning, with equally hilarious results. I swapped the positions of Svetlana's Smugglers and the martial artists, which made things more difficult for the pygmies. Friday night the pygmies were the clear winner, with 8 "treasure items" (other players!). They snagged only one on Saturday, as the shotguns and submachine guns of Svetlana's smugglers kept them at bay. The winner on Saturday was the British, as portly Harris McLeod made the leap into the lap of the stone god (the giant Petco statue). He also decided to take the risky shortcut home across the river, but managed to survive 3 maulings by the crocodile with only recoil results.

It was the most elaborate table I have ever set up, and I was quite pleased with how it looked. I will definitely have to do it again sometime...

Mike Demana
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 03:47:02 AM by mikedemana »

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
Re: Giant Pulp Game at Cincycon (Lots of photos)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 07:47:42 AM »
Looks like a BIG, fun game.

Waiting more pics...  ;D

Thanks for sharong.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 08:00:00 AM »
Looks like a lot of fun Mike, wish I could have played!
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 09:58:03 AM »
That table looks excellent. Half a dozen terrain pieces that would be admirable centrepieces in their own right. It must have looked spectacular in the flesh.

Bill.

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 10:25:05 PM »
Very cool...

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 08:32:36 AM »
What a fantastic set-up!  :-*

It's great to see all your great work on the same table.

.....more photos to follow soon....!

Yes, please!

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 08:50:01 AM »
Wow! Fantastic terrain, Mike.  :-*

You should be very proud.

THANKS for sharing

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
Re: Giant Pulp Game at Cincycon (More photos added)
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 10:02:47 PM »
Hi Mike - I was just about to say - fantastic terrain, you should be very proud when I realised that Dave had said it for me, so I will just say, what ever he said. lol

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: Giant Pulp Game at Cincycon (More photos added)
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 07:47:53 AM »
One by one, the Fire Coral's agents remaining on that half of the board are surrounded, beaten down, and dragged off to the simmering cookpot
  :-* :-*  :-*

Brilliant!

There are so many small details here to look at as well as the beautiful large terrain pieces. I love the hippo coming out of the water for example.

I was quite pleased with how it looked

I should think I would be more than pleased with that table, it's bloody marvellous, thanks for the photos.