Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:38:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691029
  • Total Topics: 118364
  • Online Today: 745
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Started my very own Lost World - project  (Read 16715 times)

Offline Paul Pogge

• Assistant
Started my very own Lost World - project
« on: July 02, 2008, 11:52:25 AM »
Hello all,

I have always been more of a part-time painter than a gamer in the past. So when the miniature fever hit me once again this summer I decided to paint something that wouldn't be too time-consuming, i.e. a system where I won't need to paint hundreds of minis. As I have children I also opted for something that might catch their interest. What else could this be besides dinosaurs?

So in the last few weeks I have started to collect rules, build trees and vegetation, collect plastic dinos and order some Big Game Hunters from Mark Copplestone.

My aim is to have a complete expedition force some time in the future. For now I plan to have some 10-15 dinosaurs and 4-5 hunters. The most time-consuming thing hitherto has been the scenery-building.

To share some of my progress I will post some pictures now and then. I am afraid these updates won't come on a regular basis, but whenever I think something worth posting has been completed I'll let you know here.

So here come my first two pics of plastic dinos. My miniature-photographing skills have to be described as non-existent. I believe it's not the fault of the camera but the fact that I do not have the right lamps to get a good effect. I'll experiment with that in the future...

I appreciate any comments, suggestions or tips from the Lead-Adventures!

Allosaurus from Schleich (only added base) and Copplestone Hunter (German Officers):

Stegosaurus from Epixx (partially repainted) and Copplestone Hunter (German Officers):

Online JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Re: Started my very own Lost World - project
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 12:04:27 PM »
Brilliant. :-* I have that exact same Stegosaurus, but you've made a much better job of it than I did.

I'll look forward to seeing more of your stuff.  :)

Offline Sendak

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 12:04:47 PM »
I like your trees to the extreme. Good to have such specimens in a dino hunt.

The explorer is great! He's a bit smallish but I can see your skill. Marvelous!

Liking the dinos.

More pics when you are able?

Thanks!

"Primative life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth." Stephen Hawking

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 02:00:34 PM »
Plase, can I join the expedition, please...?  I promise to eat less to shrink to 28mm  :D

Rudi
do visit my websites & photobucket:
http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
http://www.tsoa.be/
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/geudens_photos/

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 06:59:57 PM »
Very nice.

Will be following your journey (and hopefully, more photos) with anticipation.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 07:11:28 PM »
Great job they look cracking

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 10:23:57 PM »
oh cool !!

I get the Allosaurus  also .

what Rules do you use and what sort of Dinos will be next ??

Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Paul Pogge

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 08:29:19 AM »
Thank you all for the kind words!  :)

oh cool !!

I get the Allosaurus  also .

what Rules do you use and what sort of Dinos will be next ??

I have to admit that you are one of my main sources of inspiration, Grimm! I have seen your Displaced Miniatures dinosaur-gallery and of course your brillant homepage with the Jungle and Lost World - sections! I love your terrain crafting skills and I envy you for your great selection of dinos.

Next up will be a Styracosaurus from Epixx that I have repainted completely and that only needs basing to be finished. Then more terrain needs to be done (I mostly use aquarium plants and pine-tree roots (Kieferwurzeln - Danke Kyrill!) that I flock). Then I wait for my first set of velociraptors from the Tamiya 1/35 Mesozoic creatures that I managed to get from ebay. When HLBSC releases their new dino-range this will be interesting as well. There's lots to do and so little time but this problem seems to be commonplace! ;) I am also looking for gun bearers and normal bearers from Foundry but they are somewhat expensive. Maybe I'll order some bearers from the Dixon Mahoney range in the near future...

I haven't decided which rules to use yet. I have the PDF-Ruleset from .45Adventures with the Thrilling Expeditions Supplement and have just ordered Saurian Safari 2nd Ed. from Battlefield Berlin. Furthermore I downloaded the free rules Mesozoic Hunter and Big Game Hunt (this one for gaming with my daughter).

Further inspiration is drawn from "Die vergessene Welt" from Ripper Records, which is an audio book based on the novel Lost World from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and "Reise zum Mittelpunkt der Erde", another audio book based on the novel by Jules Verne. Currently I look for a cheap opportunity to get my hands on the 1905 book "Mit Blitzlicht und Büchse" by C.B. Schillings, a german "Großwildjäger" who describes his hunts in colonial German East-Africa in the beginning of the 20th century.

Offline Boggler

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 10:13:15 AM »
Excellent stuff! Nice work on the Stegasaurus  ;D

I just left mine in it's pre-painted colours but I think I may follow your approach and give it a little wash and brush up. I'm looking forward to seeing the Tamiya figures as well, which I haven't got but would like to add to my collection.

If you haven't joined already then please feel free to sign up over at my Lost World Safari Yahoo Group; you'd be very welcome:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/lostworldsafari/?yguid=93046637

Hopefully you may find something useful in the files section for your gaming?

Keep up the good work!

Jim

Offline Paul Pogge

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 10:42:21 AM »
If you haven't joined already then please feel free to sign up over at my Lost World Safari Yahoo Group; you'd be very welcome:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/lostworldsafari/?yguid=93046637

Hopefully you may find something useful in the files section for your gaming?

I am already a member. Great Yahoo Group you started there, Jim! The dino size comparison PDF has helped me a lot in finding useable plastic dinosaurs! The Tamiya Velociraptors have been sent to me. I expect them tomorrow. I'll post some pictures when I have finished them. Meanwhile you may want to visit Grimm's Displaced Miniature Gallery with lots of superbly painted dinosaurs.

http://www.displacedminiatures.com/Grimm/images.html?galleryId=2671&from=%20My%20Jurassic%20Park

He also has pictures of the Tamiya Velociraptors:

Used as Utahraptors:
http://www.displacedminiatures.com/Grimm/image.html?galleryId=2671&imageId=26740

Used as Ornithomimus:
http://www.displacedminiatures.com/Grimm/image.html?galleryId=2671&imageId=26739

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 03:10:56 PM »
For playing with your daughter I can recommend Dinosaurierdesaster. These are fast playing, multiplayer megafun rules I made up some years ago to play with my pal Yyrkoon, my nice and his daughter or some friends in more or less alcoholised state. They are free - and in german! It works best with in between 3-6 players each with a team of 5 Dino-Hunters and a native guide, several explorers and 7+ Dinosaurs. You might even take a trip to Halle (Westf.) to learn it first hand from us grizzled veterans of dinosaur hunting :D
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Paul Pogge

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 03:47:21 PM »
For playing with your daughter I can recommend Dinosaurierdesaster. These are fast playing, multiplayer megafun rules I made up some years ago to play with my pal Yyrkoon, my nice and his daughter or some friends in more or less alcoholised state. They are free - and in german! It works best with in between 3-6 players each with a team of 5 Dino-Hunters and a native guide, several explorers and 7+ Dinosaurs.

I have just "googled" for the rules and had a short read-through. Sounds very interesting and fun!

"Achtung! Ist einem Trupp eine Forscherin angeschlossen, macht der Eingeborene sich mit ihr aus dem Staub, sobald er auf 2" an den Trupp herankommt. Beide Figuren werden aus dem Spiel genommen."

:-*  lol

Thank you for pointing me to the rules. I will give them a try once I have enough painted miniatures.

You might even take a trip to Halle (Westf.) to learn it first hand from us grizzled veterans of dinosaur hunting :D

I would love to do that. That would be about 150 kilometers. I was in Halle once and watched a great match of tennis between Paul Haarhuis and Andre Agassi. I believe it was the first or second time the tournament was being held. If you plan a game of Dinosaurierdesaster some time in the future then please let me know. I'll try to join you if possible!  :)

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 08:05:11 AM »
OK

Offline Paul Pogge

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 09:01:59 AM »
I have based another plastic dinosaur. This one is a Cryolophosaurus from Epixx. It's paint-scheme isn't too bad so I decided not to touch it.

Cryolophosaurus from Epixx:

To my surprise the Tamiya Velociraptors had already arrived yesterday. As Boggler showed some interest in them here are some pics of the box, the sprues and the completed models:

Tamiya 1/35 Velociraptors Box:

Box-Art on the back:

The sprues:

Completed Raptors:

Close-up:

Assembly is a little fiddly but the documentation on the back of the box is quite helpful. Overall I'm impressed with the quality of the miniatures. Only thing that might become complicated is that two of the models only stand on one leg. As I don't want to use the (stone-look-a-like)-bases that are included in the set I'll have to see how stable they are once applied to a base.

Finally, a teaser pic of things to come:

Styracosaurus from Epixx (completely repainted):

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 09:04:39 AM by Paul Pogge »

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 10:21:57 AM »
I'm inspired by those pictures. Great stuff!!