Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:52:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Supersystem Marvel/DC/Champions Universe Mash-Up  (Read 1560 times)

Offline SgtHulka

• Librarian
Supersystem Marvel/DC/Champions Universe Mash-Up
« on: April 17, 2014, 04:50:25 PM »
In my youth I was a Champions fanatic. A few years ago, I started playing Supersystem with my kids. Part of the motivation was all the superhero movies and TV cartoons they enjoyed. And the thing I discovered was that they really wanted to play in a world populated by those specific superheroes. Meanwhile, I really liked the Supersystem background and villains and heroes, and, of course, I wanted to throw in my fond memories of Champions Enemies, as well. So I decided why not just mash all the universes up into one? My kids didn't care about separating them out and remaining "canonical", so why should I? You could probably even throw Pulp City in to the mix. I don't play that game, but the figs look really cool.

So here's a (very) brief outline of the universe I've been playing in with my kids. It's far, far, far from true source material, it's mostly just who populates which cities, separating the various comic book "worlds" geographically.

New York City -- this is the realm of the Marvel Universe. I do like what the alternative movie universe, however, so New York City is really just the realm of Spider-man and his villains, Daredevil and his villains, Punisher and his villains, and so forth. The Avengers are elsewhere, even though they obviously travel to New York to save it's ass. The most public superheroes of New York City are the Fantastic Four, though they spend more time dimension-hopping than protecting New York.

Washington D.C. -- This is the realm of Captain America, S.H.I.E.L.D., and the loose headquarters of the Avengers.

Malibu -- This is where Iron Man keeps his pad, and he extends his protection to Los Angeles, regularly partying with Hollywood stars and (especially) starlets.

White Sands -- Anti-Hulk Headquarters. Bruce Banner himself often wanders throughout the Southwest, visiting spiritual Indian sites that help calm him.

Metropolis -- The home of Superman and his villains. I've never been sure exactly where to put it. I pretty much stick it in Toronto. I kind of like it not being in the U.S., for some reason.

Gotham City -- The home of Batman and his villains. I imagine it to basically be Chicago.

Emerald City -- When I was very young, Green Archer was my favorite hero. I guess I had an Errol Flynn obsession or something 'cause I thought he looked super cool. So Emerald City has to be part of the mash-up. Seattle, of course.

San Francisco -- Teen Titans, but not the horrific cartoon version. Instead, it's the angsty teen X-men rip off. I never was really into the West Coast Avengers, but it actually makes more sense now than it did in the eighties. There's a lot of supervillain stuff that can be happening down in Silicon Valley. I can kind of see Hawkeye and Mockingbird busting heads down there. Problem is I've always liked Green Archer and Black Canary better. I also think Dr. Strange fits better in San Francisco than he does in New York. I actually have him living in Chinatown.

Connecticut -- Speaking of the X-Men, I stick Charles Xavier's school in Connecticut.

Steel City -- Pittsburgh, and home to the Supersystem Universe. I'm not sure why all the alien invasions took place here, but they did. There's something about the city that seems to drive metahuman activity.

Millennium City -- I'm not a huge fan of the current Champions canon, but the destruction of Detroit and building of Millennium City actually fits into a mash-up universe pretty well. So this is the home of all the Champions villains and heroes, including UNTIL and VIPER. Until is a U.N. version of SHIELD who are given temporary jurisdiction of Millennium City after they were called in to help  during the Battle of Detroit. Now the U.S. can't get rid of them. They have an adversarial relationship with SHIELD, but neither can move against the other without prompting an international incident. Viper has infiltrated the city in an attempt to find superhero and villain artifacts lost during the city's destruction. They also want to find a way to resurrect Dr. Destroyer so he can help them crush their main rival, Hydra.

Vancouver -- Home of Alpha Flight. Probably not the most realistic choice of Canadian Cities, but the east coast is so over-populated with superheroes I decided I wanted a major government-sponsored group out west. And I really like the idea of Alpha Flight/Green Arrow crossovers and team-ups. I also don't stick with the canon of Alpha Flight losing its government sponsorship and the dissolution of Beta and Gamma Flight. Alpha Flight is an official Canadian version of the Avengers, and Beta and Gamma Flight are Canadian versions of the New Mutants or Teen Titans.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
Re: Supersystem Marvel/DC/Champions Universe Mash-Up
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 04:54:36 PM »
Steel City -- Pittsburgh, and home to the Supersystem Universe. I'm not sure why all the alien invasions took place here, but they did. There's something about the city that seems to drive metahuman activity.

Hah-hah!  It's the manufacturing and biotech the Host was after!

Vancouver -- Home of Alpha Flight. Probably not the most realistic choice of Canadian Cities, but the east coast is so over-populated with superheroes I decided I wanted a major government-sponsored group out west. And I really like the idea of Alpha Flight/Green Arrow crossovers and team-ups. I also don't stick with the canon of Alpha Flight losing its government sponsorship and the dissolution of Beta and Gamma Flight. Alpha Flight is an official Canadian version of the Avengers, and Beta and Gamma Flight are Canadian versions of the New Mutants or Teen Titans.

All of your ideas are awesome, but I like this one best!  Think Rusti will agree!
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Supersystem Marvel/DC/Champions Universe Mash-Up
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 05:11:04 PM »
Hah-hah!  It's the manufacturing and biotech the Host was after!

All of your ideas are awesome, but I like this one best!  Think Rusti will agree!

I have to get some Alpha Flight figs also to get my team together. They was my favorite for Marvel!
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com