Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:56:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

How do you guys like the clear base?

Yes!
13 (39.4%)
It's ok...
10 (30.3%)
Nah.
10 (30.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Clear Bases for OW/DF games.  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Clear Bases for OW/DF games.
« on: April 20, 2014, 09:47:35 AM »
Hey Guys,

Just curious if anyone else thinks this looks like a good idea :D

I'm pretty happy with the result.

Cheers!

"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: Clear Bases for OW/DF games.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 10:08:44 AM »
Only if you paint the edge rim black/dk grey.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 03:56:54 PM »
I think it looks pretty good, though I've never been a huge fan of clear bases as a whole.  As long as you don't use glue that clouds them up, I don't see why not.  Clear bases just seem to distract me from a miniature in the way overly ornate bases or black-edges do.  Any more progress on your project?  Do you have a project thread somewhere?
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 04:12:46 PM »
My only problem with clear bases is getting the figure to stay on. I pin everything, so the pin would show if I used them. Looks pretty good on your demo fig. I assume you don't pin the figures to the bases.
Also, it's hard to hide the washer underneath. (if you transport your miniatures on magnet sheet)

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 04:32:48 PM »
I think it works well for skirmish/dungeon games
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 11:08:46 PM »
Only if you paint the edge rim black/dk grey.

I think for the effect that I want, that would spoil it a bit.  I want to demphazise the basing as much as possible, and I imagine an outline would look like rights when viewed down.  Of course, that would be desirable depending on the game, so I do see you point.   Cheers for the feedback Mate!

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 11:10:43 PM »
I think it looks pretty good, though I've never been a huge fan of clear bases as a whole.  As long as you don't use glue that clouds them up, I don't see why not.  Clear bases just seem to distract me from a miniature in the way overly ornate bases or black-edges do.  Any more progress on your project?  Do you have a project thread somewhere?

My plan is to use these almost exclusively with the DF tiles and playing skirmish games.  So I thought to balance the minis and scenery.  The other thing is that although the OW characters come with a very nice lead base, the monsters almost all do not.  So this way I also for my obsessive mind, get to get a more uniform basing system...  lol

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 11:11:47 PM »
My only problem with clear bases is getting the figure to stay on. I pin everything, so the pin would show if I used them. Looks pretty good on your demo fig. I assume you don't pin the figures to the bases.
Also, it's hard to hide the washer underneath. (if you transport your miniatures on magnet sheet)

He's pinned through the front foot in the heel.  The pins tend to be small enough and seen from enough of an angle, you can see them.  No problemo :D

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 11:12:40 PM »
I think it works well for skirmish/dungeon games

That's what I was definitely going for.  I think in other applications I'd opt for the included dungeon base.  Cheers!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 01:08:10 AM »
My plan is to use these almost exclusively with the DF tiles and playing skirmish games.  So I thought to balance the minis and scenery.  The other thing is that although the OW characters come with a very nice lead base, the monsters almost all do not.  So this way I also for my obsessive mind, get to get a more uniform basing system...  lol

Gotcha, yeah I'm doing uniform bases for all of my stuff too so far - just using 25mm rounds from Renedra and 40mm rounds from the same for larger creatures.  "Huge" creatures will feature a third larger Renedra base depending on needs.  At some point I'll get around to actually taking pictures and starting my own thread.  Have you painted any more minis?

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 01:20:58 AM »
I have a couple started.  The thief is up next and then the old GW mini that was on the cover of the WHRP box set.  My first bad guy...  But I got caught up in doing my SAGA project for the last few months.  This is what's up next, I'll have the 5 main characters plus a bunch of monsters and villains to choose from.  It will take me a long time to work through my OW collection.  One of the very next minis will also we the Marauder Giant.  It's always been my favorite...