Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:02:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690852
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cross Blog Sci-Fi Pulp Alley Campaign UPDATE: FINALE! 20Sep2014 pg.2  (Read 7102 times)

Offline Maj Guiscard

• Librarian
    • The Governor General of Sector Six
Hi Folks,

First, some eye candy:

The rest of the episode can be found at:
http://govgensectorsix.blogspot.com/

Now, Buckle-Up, this is a little long, but it does include a couple more pics…

So, a couple years ago I was surfing some miniatures blogs and I came across the concept of Imagi-Nations.  I was fascinated.  Then I found a couple of blogs (the Kingdom of Wittenburg, Archduke Piccolo) that actually shipped miniatures to each other and ran storylines from one blog to another. I was captivated!

Then my young daughter came home from school one day and told me about their “Flat Stanley” project. The gist of the story is that Stanley is a boy who is flat and can mail himself all over the world.  This story is then translated into a project by having the students make a Flat Stanley doll, mailing him/her to someone geographically distant (a Grandparent is most common), pics are taken, and then the doll is mailed back.  Students then present their doll and travels.

Now, I was inspired!

I quietly reached out to a few bloggers that seemed to be compatible with the loose concept of a few miniatures that would be mailed between blogs as characters in a cross-blog story arc. Two blogs, http://sho3box.wordpress.com/ , and http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/ immediately agreed that there was an imminent threat to the galaxy, and it was just too big to be contained by just one blog. Hopefully, our combined efforts can save us all  :o .

Ambassador / Secret Agent Sophie (and Team)

will first rendezvous with Inquisitor Verhoeven on Krellborn IX (and cheetor's blog)

to investigate a Sector wide conspiracy.  
Next, A/SA Sophie (and Team) will engage with two plucky young Superheroes (at Major Tom Foolery's)
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-bad-seed-superhero-aar.html

and battle the enemy there.

The plan is not complete, and right now there seems to be enough "stuff" to take the timeline through the end of July. Hopefully, there are additional destinations / travelers / plot points to be added on the way.

There will be 1 or 2 more posts at Sector Six before the action moves on.  Please keep an eye out.

I would like to show my gratitude to my fellow conspirators, Major Thomas and cheetor!

And as always, thanks for looking!
Maj Guiscard
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 09:18:23 PM by Maj Guiscard »

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
Re: The Flat-Stanley Cross Blog Sci-Fi Pulp Alley Campaign of 2014
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 06:01:41 AM »
An inspired idea :o, can't wait for thr AARs to come

Offline Oriol Barcelona

• Bookworm
    • Shadows over Galaspar
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 10:59:44 AM »
Great work! An absolutelly amazing blog. I really love your wise use of different period miniatures (napoleonics and sci fi) and manufacturers. It's really perfect.

The idea of social adventures with pulp alley rules is yours? or the "option" comes with the rules. It's exactly what I was looking for

Oriol

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 02:12:01 PM »
The Sophie figure is lovely - from which manufacturer did you obtain her, please?
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 09:09:14 PM »
Sounds like a great idea. Loving the crazy robot figure in the top pic. Who makes that?

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 10:20:35 PM »
This is a brilliant idea.  I love the idea of mailing minis to "Guest Star"' in other campaigns.  I would love to try this with whoever wants to!  Mini-Jam!  Lets figure out some basic guidelines!  Modern?  Fantasy?  I'd be keen with pulp and up!

Many years ago I worked on an animated film called Anijam. The director sent the first drawing of his 20 second scene and the last drawing to two other animators in other parts of the world.  THEY had to begin or end their 20 second scene with that drawing. Neither knew what anyone else had done.  The director (Marv Newland) got them all mailed back to him and shot them all in order.  Amazing piece.

"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 11:01:02 PM »
Another enthusiastic vote for 'brilliant idea'. Looking forward to the AARs

BTW, received my Pulp Ally expansions in the mail today.  :-*

Offline Maj Guiscard

• Librarian
    • The Governor General of Sector Six
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 02:22:23 PM »
Thanks everyone for the encouraging words!

Oriol Barcelona asked:
The idea of social adventures with pulp alley rules is yours? or the "option" comes with the rules.
The original idea was put forward by David Phipps on the PA Forum during a discussion about scenarios. There are no special rules for a Social Adventure, but PA focuses on "effects", so you simply re-name the effects for the specific narrative you are trying to game. PA is very flexible that way.

I really love your wise use of different period miniatures (napoleonics and sci fi) and manufacturers. It's really perfect.
Sort of born of necessity. There are not enough sci-fi civilians, diplomats, or other non-shooty types.  However, since I started over a year ago, these variations are showing up more and more, and I am slowly swapping out to a more conventional future look.

SBRPearce
The Sophie figure is lovely - from which manufacturer did you obtain her, please?
Diakon:
Loving the crazy robot figure in the top pic. Who makes that?
A two-fer! Both are SuperFigs from Old Glory.  The robot is one of the poses from the "Alien Host" pack. Ambassador Sophie is from the "Super" sub-category, Super 4-Cat.  She has a headswap from Statuesque minis.

Hi gary42, watched the vid, that is crazy! It looks like it was fun to make. For a much more fleshed out cross-blog concept, head over to the Emperor vs. Elector blog.  A couple years ago it was a craze with them. It looks like they are gathering momentum to have another go at it.  I'm hopeful.

Maj Guiscard

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 05:08:54 PM »
The AAR's are on the blogs?  I couldn't find them.

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 05:40:34 PM »
This is going to be quite a bit of fun - sadly with my summer plans we won't get to my section until July. However, the boys' S.H.I.E.L.D. team is on the painting table and they will be ready to deal with any alien threat to Earth.

Chris
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 06:56:10 PM »
The AAR's are on the blogs?  I couldn't find them.

As joekano mentioned, the AARs have yet to be written up as the games have yet to be played :) 

My initial game/short series of games are due to take place at a local con in early June.  I expect that there will be a primer blog post or two on my blog to tie in with those the Maj Guiscards before June and the AARs will probably publish in early June.  I will put up abridged posts/links here when the batreps are up.

Im looking forward to it.  Its going to be a fun way to add further serialise the exploits of our various toy soldiers (plus some of them will get to go on a foreign holiday this year, which is more that I can say for myself :D  )

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 06:49:17 PM »
The S.H.I.E.L.D. team is getting prepared:

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 06:53:11 PM »

They look great! Nice and crisp.

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 01:02:51 AM »
They look tight!  One small thing...  They look a bit like they're wearing white socks with sandals:)

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 01:39:52 AM »
They look tight!  One small thing...  They look a bit like they're wearing white socks with sandals:)

Haha - maybe they should rebase to Florida