Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:35:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686599
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Keren 1941: Perry Sikh & British conversions - Finished 31.5.14  (Read 10713 times)

former user

some very good conversions You have done there

I also must say that I am somewhat stunned to see 1/72 heads being large enough to match as well as better defined than even metal perry miniatures, or crisper for that matter. could the valiant ones be useful as youth or kids in 28mm?

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
I have been following this thread and the one for the Keren game at Salute 2014, absolutely loved it. I have now read Barkers book on Eritrea 1941 (picked up one on Ebay), great read. i have a couple of questions as a result;

1: Shouldn't the water carriers be holding British flimsies i.e. 2 gallon or 4 gallon tins? I don't think British and Commonwealth had access to Jerry Cans until the Germans had suffered some reverses.

2: There is mention of armoured cars for the CIH and Skinners Horse, does anyone know what they were in? Were they the AC9s (CS9s) or had they been issued Marmon Herringtons. Doubt very much that they would have had Humbers.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 09:55:25 AM by Poiter50 »
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist

I also must say that I am somewhat stunned to see 1/72 heads being large enough to match as well as better defined than even metal perry miniatures, or crisper for that matter. could the valiant ones be useful as youth or kids in 28mm?

if im correct (unlikey lol) in saying that Valiant is more 25mm, so closer to 28mm than 20mm
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

former user

I'd be more concerned that the jerrycans are rather smallish, didn't the italians use them too?

Anyway, I am waiting to see the free french
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 10:12:35 AM by bedwyr »

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
sorry forgot to say in my last post...fantastic work, really inspiring me to start the perry figures i have. looking forward to seeing alot more  :) :)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Absolutely awesome stuff.  If I ever get into WW2 skirmish I'll likely be stealing some of your ideas.  The end results are nothing short of lovely - some of the most inspirational stuff I've seen on this forum.  Awesome.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes

Thank you.  Just swapping a few plastic bits around, really.

Valiant are marketed as 1/72 scale.  Perry are sold as '28mm' and Michael P has been fairly clear that they are sized for 1/56 scale vehicles.  Here's a comparison shot (I already posted this last year but it may be of interest) which shows that they are not too far off each other, size-wise. Valiant German on left, Perry Brit on right:

The Valiant heads are different to the Perry ones; they have more deeply incised detail in keeping with the style of the figures generally, which I find makes them a useful extra for characters and casualties.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
I have been following this thread and the one for the Keren game at Salute 2014, absolutely loved it. I have now read Barkers book on Eritrea 1941 (picked up one on Ebay), great read. i have a couple of questions as a result;

1: Shouldn't the water carriers be holding British flimsies i.e. 2 gallon or 4 gallon tins? I don't think British and Commonwealth had access to Jerry Cans until the Germans had suffered some reverses.

2: There is mention of armoured cars for the CIH and Skinners Horse, does anyone know what they were in? Were they the AC9s (CS9s) or had they been issued Marmon Herringtons. Doubt very much that they would have had Humbers.

I'm really glad you've been inspired to get the Barker book - definitely the best out there and a real shame it's OOP.

1.  Yes.  I just happened to have the Jerry cans in the bits box (admittedly small) and did some quick conversions.  I'm afraid I didn't research these any further!

2.  Dunno.  I suspect they were older models but would have to do some more research to find out which.

Cheers

James

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
I might start a thread on the ACs in use otherwise it might get lost in the admiration of your work which is really inspirational. :)

I was lucky with the Barker book, found someone in the US who was selling off her father's old books, got one on Greece 1941 as well.

I'm really glad you've been inspired to get the Barker book - definitely the best out there and a real shame it's OOP.

1.  Yes.  I just happened to have the Jerry cans in the bits box (admittedly small) and did some quick conversions.  I'm afraid I didn't research these any further!

2.  Dunno.  I suspect they were older models but would have to do some more research to find out which.

Cheers

James

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Just cottoned on to this and really glad that I did.
 :D

Some great conversions in there, very imaginative.
They paint up lovely too.
 :-* 8) :-*

Online aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
Brilliant stuff James  8) 8) :-* :-*

former user

this picture is a good reminder for people who consider uttering dogmatic remarks about scale and proportion.....
Your approach is really the best, to see what can be done with the material at hand

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Interesting theme and very nice miniatures and conversions. I am surprised about the comparison picture between Perry and Valiant.
Björn
, ,

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Finally got these based up on the eve of Partizan, ready for action on the tented mountain tomorrow!  Here they are:

West Yorks riflemen and NCO

Close up of two riflemen. 

Back shot showing the yellow 'screens' - not sure I like them but the real things must have looked weird!

Capt Osborn command stand - spotting an Italian sniper, clearly.  He looked rubbish until I gave him a moustache.

Bren team; my favourite since basing - I cut off a nice chunk of cork bark and it props up the Bren a treat.

Casualty with a mate stopping to help him out.

Leg wound.

That's it - cheers!  See some of you at Partizan tomorrow.

James

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
Re: Keren 1941: Perry Sikh & British conversions - Finished 31.5.14
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2014, 10:26:41 PM »
so very very nice  :-*