Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:35:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686451
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Medic Talent: Is it to cheap?  (Read 2203 times)

Offline Mingans Marauders

• Bookworm
Medic Talent: Is it to cheap?
« on: July 15, 2014, 12:28:10 AM »
Playing this last weekend with my friend who I game IHMN with he mentioned how he felt the medic talent, for what it is, is far to cheap. I countered with the fact like anything with the rules, it comes down to would your company have one? I was running my Mexican bandits, who I feel wouldn't have a doctor with them and thus I don't have a medic with them. When I run Lord Curr at times I tend to swap Mad Mick out for a doctor, because he seems like someone who at points would bring along a doctor to treat the wounded. 

So the question I bring up to everyone, do you feel its to cheap a talent? Do you agree its based on “would my company even have a medical professional with them”? Or both?

Offline copeab

• Bookworm
Re: Medic Talent: Is it to cheap?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 04:18:05 AM »
Did your friend give reasons why he thought it was too cheap?
Brandon

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »
I think a round/turn spent "attempting" to "heal" (return to combat) a character is no more (possibly less) 'effective' in combat terms than directly firing/fighting/using mystical powers or talents of a similar cost.  It depends on the success of the attempt and the value of the character being affected. (affected or effected?)

Edit:  While it may be 'in character' for a priest to heal a peon, how much 'added value' is that act in game terms?

Gracias,

Glenn

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 10:38:54 AM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Silbuster

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 03:08:13 PM »
I think it may depend on how many points one fields. With a large army, a medic could be a worthwhile investment. With a small one, every hand is needed on a weapon. Usually, I do not have the points to spare on a medic. I did field Alice in Wonderland as a medic once on the grounds that nobody would shoot at little Alice... How wrong I was.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 10:17:31 AM »
I think it may depend on how many points one fields. With a large army, a medic could be a worthwhile investment. With a small one, every hand is needed on a weapon. Usually, I do not have the points to spare on a medic. I did field Alice in Wonderland as a medic once on the grounds that nobody would shoot at little Alice... How wrong I was.

By smallare you saying 250 points?  Or are you saying a small number of 'elite' pointed figures?

Gracias,

Glenn

I have played, on paper, with designing 250 point forces from 6 figures (Martial/Star God Monks) to circa 20 (Peon heavy rebel force.)

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Silbuster

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 10:12:04 PM »
By smallare you saying 250 points?  Or are you saying a small number of 'elite' pointed figures?
It's the number of figures which count.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 10:18:35 PM »
It's the number of figures which count.

Thought so and I agree.  few figures make every action towards success vital.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 04:31:44 PM »
Most medic characters are 20-30 pts so a reasonable cost.

If you added Medic to a 2 or 3 pt grunt then it perhaps seems a bit cheap.

After my appalling dice rolls last game I might be thinking a medic would help a lot.

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 06:52:07 PM »
I don't think it is too cheap.  the medic not only has to succeed, he also has or get there first.  Unless he is neck to the injured figure, he will spend a turn just moving there.  he is out of action at least two turns, for a chance to bring back a figure.  Of course both the downed figure and the doctor/medic remain stationary and extra vulnerable. 
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----