Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:08:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Artizan 2nd Afghan British and Sikh Infantry  (Read 30550 times)

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Artizan 2nd Afghan British and Sikh Infantry
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 12:35:24 PM »
Tartan puttees?! I think I'll be avoiding the Seaforths let's put it that way..  ;)  lol
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 01:36:54 PM »
I'm not very clued-up on this particular war, I'm afraid. But I think the jury is out on that particular question. One source says loose trews, another puttees of an unknown colour. It could be that both are true at different times.

I do know the officers had tartan puttees that matched the trews, which would be either heaps of fun or an absolute nightmare to paint, depending on how you feel about tartan.  ;)

Fun  :)

Darrell.

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 02:05:19 PM »
I like the kneeling figures, but the standing loading figure looks distinctly knock-kneed...

Rickets?  ::)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 08:31:54 PM »
I really like those British infantry! Will definitely order enough for a unit in T&T!!

I could have done with these a couple of year ago when I painted my cover diorama for Wargames Soldiers and Strategy magazine (I did the Last 11 at Maiwand...here's a pic I took at home prior to sending the diorama to the magazine)

Don't get me wring, the Empress models I used for this diorama are utterly brilliant, but for accuracy's sake, these Artizan ones would obviously have been even better...

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 08:34:41 PM »
I remember that issue, a lovely diorama, excellently painted.  :D

I wonder if Mike would consider doing a special pack for the last 11?

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 08:41:54 PM »
Now THAT would be a great idea!  :D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 10:12:57 PM »
Now THAT would be a great idea!  :D

Andy, a bit OT but where did you buy the regimental dog from?

Darrell.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 10:30:35 PM »
Believe it or not, Darrell, it's actually the hound from the Warlord Games resin 'Maximus' miniature blister pack!!

Offline Bindonblood

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 10:36:06 PM »
Knowing that various different types of equipment were worn by different regiments, do we know which units these British figure  an represent? Presumably the 66th and one or two others?

Also, do we know if they will bring out other versions with say no puttees?

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 10:51:42 PM »
They do seem to have the correct kit to represent the 66th, but other regiments did have the same, if memory serves me...

Artizan don't usually do loads of variants within ranges, and there are so many other things we could ask for in this range without doing more Brits just with kit differences, e.g. Muslim Sepoys (why does everyone always do Sikhs first?), Gurkhas, Highlanders, cavalry (British and Indian), artillery, plus the Afghan regulars... The list goes on...

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 11:28:24 PM »
I second the plea for Bengal and Punjab sepoys : manufacturers have the annoying habit of considering that the only Indian regiments worth depicting are the Sikhs and the Gurkhas. Granted, both were deemed to be the elite of the Indian army but they only accounted for a small fraction of it. We need the unglamourous Bombay, Madras and Bengal infantry just as much.  

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 11:42:56 PM »
Believe it or not, Darrell, it's actually the hound from the Warlord Games resin 'Maximus' miniature blister pack!!

Ah, I thought I had read that in the article but was too lazy to hump it out of the humungous pile that my wargames mags have become!

Ta.

Darrell.

Offline Bindonblood

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 06:30:43 AM »
I suppose I'd agree with the rather have other types of Anglo Indian troops than "minor" variations of British kit, although figures without puttees would be good.

If Mike doesn't tend to do lots of variations, it makes me wonder whether he will do just Highlanders in kilts and not those in trews... unless it is a range he personally wants to do and do completely for his own gaming needs...

Tim

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 07:24:40 AM »
They do seem to have the correct kit to represent the 66th, but other regiments did have the same, if memory serves me...

Artizan don't usually do loads of variants within ranges, and there are so many other things we could ask for in this range without doing more Brits just with kit differences, e.g. Muslim Sepoys (why does everyone always do Sikhs first?), Gurkhas, Highlanders, cavalry (British and Indian), artillery, plus the Afghan regulars... The list goes on...

I think we need a petition!!  lol Seriously though, if we all write to Nick you never know!! Seriously!!

Just as a quick aside, one of the things Michael told me that was incorrect British troops in the Sudan freshly in from India was that they would have been carrying with no water bottles as the massive amounts of water needed would have been carried in the baggage in the main. He seems to know what he's talking about when it comes to these matters  ;) :)

Darrell.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 10:20:36 AM »
Luvely Diorama !
Got that issue of WSS
, ,