Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 03:46:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697749
  • Total Topics: 118856
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) Reaper CAV: Strike Operations  (Read 14452 times)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
(KICKSTARTER) Reaper CAV: Strike Operations
« on: September 01, 2014, 02:11:12 PM »
I just signed on for this one. 
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-cav-strike-operations
Nabbed an early bird, which doesn't save any $, but does get you the first set of minis as soon as the KS ends.   I'm not totally sure about the KS, but I can always drop my pledge before the end if it doesn't look like there's going to be much in the way of extra swag.

Still, the 32 mechs (4x8 designs) for $100 and free shipping isn't bad, especially if I can get a club member to split with me.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 01:51:57 PM by Prof.Witchheimer »

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
Re: Reaper CAV: Strike Operations Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 02:31:01 PM »
Reaper Bones Material is utterly crap imho  :-X even when nicely painted they look "cheap"
still interesting to see how well this one goes  :)

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 03:06:20 PM »
I am tempted but the current lineup doesn't really include any of the CAV's im interested in.  >:(
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 04:15:21 PM »
Reaper Bones Material is utterly crap imho  :-X even when nicely painted they look "cheap"
still interesting to see how well this one goes  :)

And, just IMNSHO, Bones material works well enough and is reasonably affordable (which larger metal figures no longer are no matter who makes them.)

But then I am more "army" minded then "figure" minded.

And 3/6/15 mm minded than "larger" sized figures.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 08:17:00 PM »
I have to say I think Bones and CAV would work well together.  Bones loses detail and is pretty blase for small figures..but bigger blockier CAV should work well with it.  Personally CAV leaves me suuuper bored so I won't be partaking, but good for the guys that like it.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 255
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 07:12:44 AM »
I backed at early bird, but will probably drop out I imagine. Nothing really inspiring me but have always liked big robots.

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 08:29:17 AM »
Reaper's unwillingness to figure out bulk European shipping kills this for me.

Looking at the prices the current BONES figures command, I'm probably better off just waiting it out and buying the ones I actually want from the local store.

IIRC I paid $10 extra for a giant model with the KS. PLUS shipping, PLUS %22 taxes. Today I can order one from the FLGS for 9 euros (little under $12), no extra costs.

I specifically asked Reaper about this during the KS. They said the final retail price on the extras would be "much higher". Yeah, right, those $10 giants seem to go for $8.99 to $9.99 now -- direct from Reaper, less if you find a discount dealer.

This could be an ok deal, IF you're fine with BONES as material and IF you really want ALL the figures. If there's any you don't really want...

Brr.... I just got a PlasTech vibe down my spine. I feel I need to see these first.

So why Kickstart? The earlybirds are already all gone, the project is already well funded, and they're probably going to cost around $5 retail each anyway...

Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 08:35:00 AM »
I backed at early bird, but will probably drop out I imagine. Nothing really inspiring me but have always liked big robots.
And dropped it already. If I want some, I'll pick a few up later on. But I really think bones isn't a great material for these. Hard plastic yes, bones, no. The bendiness of bones will make guns look strange because it will be very hard to get them exactly straight. Even if you drill a hole and put a brass rod down it after heating then cooling it.
Instead I may just spend some money on a big destroid mini to go with some 28mm troops I have.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 11:52:13 AM »
<snip>and they're probably going to cost around $5 retail each anyway...

Sorry, this is a no go for me because of the asinine subject Big Stompy Robots.  <Shudder>

Staying on topic, since you raised costs, have you seen the mark-up on jewelry (another luxury like miniatures,) or electronics (some also think an Android or iPhone are necessities but they aren't,) or (based on reports, not actual experience since all my classmates that sold drugs are dead now,) street drugs?

Business is business and the (still relatively) free market will determine the success of Bones and miniatures in general.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 01:08:55 PM »
So why Kickstart? The earlybirds are already all gone, the project is already well funded, and they're probably going to cost around $5 retail each anyway...

Probably because the price of the mechs in the Kickstarter come out to less than 3 dollars each right now, and that's only day 3! 

I do agree mostly on the price of the add-ons, I can't see them costing much more at MSRP and my guess is that at most online dealers they'll be about the same cost.  I'm probably not going to buy any/many and just get them at my FLGS.  Even though nearly everything I buy is used,  I try to always buy something at my FLGS when we game there.

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 01:18:17 PM »
Staying on topic, since you raised costs, have you seen the mark-up on jewelry (another luxury like miniatures,)

I based the $5 estimate on what the extra models cost on the KS right now, and how the KS extra price vs. actual retail price went with the previous KS (see previous post).

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 01:26:58 PM »
Probably because the price of the mechs in the Kickstarter come out to less than 3 dollars each right now, and that's only day 3! 

After I add in Reaper's insane(* shipping charges and taxes, they'll end up costing me just about what they'll cost locally anyway after release. AND I don't have to put money down a year in advance, AND I get to choose which ones I like instead of blind buying everything.

*) Really, individual air mail parcels to everyone? They honestly couldn't come up with anything better even with hundreds of backers in Europe nevermind European distributor deliveries? Even with services like ShipNaked now available?

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 03:11:04 PM »
I based the $5 estimate on what the extra models cost on the KS right now, and how the KS extra price vs. actual retail price went with the previous KS (see previous post).

Ah!

Apples (you) and Oranges (me.)

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
Re: (KICKSTARTER) Reaper CAV: Strike Operations
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 05:48:46 PM »
It is unfortunate that backers outside the US get hammered on postage.  But for us in the states, it's a bargain on a line of models that ran something like $10-$15+ US in metal.

I'm of the opinion that Bones plastic will work out okay for models the size of the CAV robots, which are pretty substantial.  It is possible some gun barrels might be an issue, but I'm going to take that risk, considering the price.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: (KICKSTARTER) Reaper CAV: Strike Operations
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 07:37:21 AM »
Even though it's already doing very well it's going to go nowhere near the previous reaper kickstarters. Just not the market I guess for this type of mini. Seeing as I should have a 3d printer on the way I think I'll go into making my own mechs.