Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:15:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: In Need of Some Desert Flora  (Read 4337 times)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
In Need of Some Desert Flora
« on: October 05, 2014, 01:24:40 AM »
I've been putting together a load of terrain to suit the various locals that the Fallout games take place in (namely the deserts of the western/mid-west United States-Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, etc). For the moment I've been getting away with just using blocks of static grass on bases, but I feel the larger pieces there's more opportunity to show off a bit more flora. To that end I'm on the lookout for things like shrubs, cacti and the like. My issue is finding a source for these. I'm doubting that I'd be able to find specific species for sale in an applicable scale (28mm's what I'm using, but its not like plants don't grow in a variety of sizes, so the scale's fluid), so tutorials may be my best bet.

I'd appreciate any help with this matter really. I know that certain bits and bobs are available, for instance Dead Man's Hand has a few cacti, but well, I suspect that others may know a bit more on this topic than myself. Hell even pointing me in the direction of flock suppliers could be helpful. Anyway, this is what I'm attempting to emulate (I may well put together sheets with shrubs stuck to them in order to show just how much plantlife there is in those deserts, rather than having a flat board).

Ah, that last one may have been shot in Texas, but I'd like to think that not many who see my stuff are enough of a rivet counter to point that out. ;)

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
Re: In Need of Some Desert Flora
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 02:27:10 AM »
For Cactus use Pegasus models
http://pegasushobbies.net/catalog/Peg.-School-Project/c5/index.html?osCsid=1a65o5nc2sglqg1j7gp5vutku5
also have excellent palm trees, always available on ebay.
For a good selection of flora, tufts and static grass look at Antenociti
http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/wargaming-materials-tools/grass-flock-scatter-clump.html
this should give you a good start.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 02:29:07 AM »
Agree with the Pegasus Cactus recommend and I have just been using Wilderness tufts (for desert basing) that I bought from Warlord Games.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 03:38:45 AM »
Actually what's really annoying is that I placed an order with another webstore today which happened to carry Pegagus trees, but none of the cacti. I wouldn't have been aware that they even sold them unless it was mentioned here. Thanks, those are bang on. :D

As for tufts I'm currently using a mix of the Army Painter ones (which are easy to get a hold of, but a little expensive considering how much I tend to work through. *That said my local shops sell those same tufts that Warlord has for £4 for £6-7, gits) and one I picked up at a show. I'm actually kicking myself right now for not buying more of the latter (by a German company called mininatur) as well firstly they come in large sheets, and that at the show they literally had a stall which sold only static grass in tons of variations (even worse that the sheet I did buy is for the highlands, whilst they had plenty of desert/wasteland types). Heh, not to say that I'm unwilling for more suggestions about that stuff though, as knowing more supplier's is always good, just plugging what I'm currently using.

Tah for the help so far. Particularly its the bushes I'm after ....but failing any suggestions to that end I may just dump a load of cash on those cacti and use those rather liberally. ;)

Offline cacofold

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 03:43:45 AM »
Purchase on of the more inexpensive static grass applicators and make your own tufts using a variety of static grass sizes and colors. It's way cheaper than buying the premade sheets after a certain point.

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 04:38:57 AM »
Take a look at your local craft store ( in USA Hobby Lobby, Michaels and Joann fabrics come to mind)

Check out their floral department. I have found a variety of plastic flowers, stems, etc. over the years that are suitable for arid or desert areas. Anything spindly, bumpy, etc works. In some cases I break up the whole stem into its component parts, or cut pieces and reassemble as a single bush, plant etc using hot glue.

Not sure I have any pics on hand, but willing to take a few and post if there's interest.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 07:55:34 AM by pacarat »

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 06:11:56 AM »
Many of the old west lines have some Cacti sets. Old Glory, Monday Knight Produtions & Riveresco are just a few.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +109

Offline Redmist1122

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 09:27:08 AM »
Wyrmalla,
  Since I live in Tucson, Arizona, will give you a little insight about the desert out here.  If you plan on using any Saguaro cactus, then you would be safe to say you are depicting Arizona.  This cactus, though popular looking, only grows in this state.  Other than that a variety of Yucca, mesquite trees and a lock of rock and shrub will work fine.

Post some follow-up pictures. Good Luck!
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 09:29:29 AM »
did you look at plastic aquarium plants in your local pet shop ?
Several of those can be plucked, cut and hotglued together to form interesting flora.
Some examples in this thread : http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=30751.0
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 10:53:10 AM »
A friend of mine is a gardener and has access to infinite dusty yellow-brown lichen as bedding..? wadding..? ...something for plant pots. A garden centre might have something useful for not too much money.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 11:28:07 AM »
A friend of mine is a gardener and has access to infinite dusty yellow-brown lichen as bedding..? wadding..? ...something for plant pots. A garden centre might have something useful for not too much money.

Brrr... Hate that stuff.
It's all fluffy and soft when you buy it, but dries out and crumbles eventualy.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 08:07:58 PM by zizi666 »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 05:22:27 PM »
Checkout Pardulon's gaming table displays. The cactus and flora aren't a Pardulon product, but the flora work he's done is very nice. I think it might have been the Pegasus cacti he was using, but I'm not sure. 

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline General

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 06:07:38 PM »
Spiny lichens make great tumblweeds

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 09:48:18 PM »
I grew up and lived most of my life in Arizona so I can give you some ideas.  The majority of vegetation looks pretty bare.  Creosote, sage, Palo Verde trees, Mesquite trees and plenty of cactus.  
Here are some images that you can work from.  
Creososte:  Can be made with painted lichen possibly flocked with home made sawdust flock.  

Palo Verde tree.  Yes the bark is green.  Can be made with standard tree armatures.

Mesquite trees  Again can be made with standard armatures.

Depending on where you are there are also white oak, Pondarossa pines, Joshua trees and regular pines.  
For cactus look for Barrel, prickley pear, saguaro, ocatillo and my favorite cholla.
Cholla  I have not figured out how to do these yet.

Ocatillo which should be easy to make.  Strands of wire covered with home made sawdust flock.  

You should be good with a variety of low brush that imitates the creosote and sagebrush.  Trees do not grow overly large think 2-3m high.  The only time anything but Saguaros grow big is near water.  That is where you find the white oaks.  If you build a board ensure that you include dry ravines.  The whole area is covered with them.  Use Google maps on Tucson Arizona with the satellite function and you can see what I mean.  The cactus  usually grows in small clusters of 8-10 plants or large fields of 100 or more.  Have lots of rocks on the ground and large rock features.  Search words that would be helpful are Sonora desert and Mojave desert.  
Hope that helps.
Snitchy sends.
Edit:
Sorry I forgot to ad tumbleweeds.  Just use small uncolored pieces of lichen.  Blue Agave and century plants are also common.  You can use painted paper to simulate those.  The agave can grow naturally in fields numbering in the thousands of plants. 
Blue agave

Century plants Tend to be separated by several meters from other century plants.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 10:32:44 PM by snitcythedog »
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Denizen Kane

• Librarian
  • French Army? What,s that?
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 03:05:10 AM »
I made these cacti and they were as cheap as cheap could be!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 03:08:22 AM by Denizen Kane »
The world is changing so fast and we,re just trying to catch up...