Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:55:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Too long?  (Read 3951 times)

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
Too long?
« on: November 19, 2014, 01:55:44 PM »
I placed an order with a UK based miniature company for goods to my UK address thirteen days ago, and I know that some of you will think that I am being impatient, but I am a bit peeved that they have still not arrived.

Granted that UK postal advice is usually to 'wait 28 days for delivery' but the majority of companies I buy from  manage to get stuff to me in about a week, usually a bit sooner.

The other issue, is that Paypal gives 30 days from the transaction to open a dispute, so if I wait the recommended 28 days for delivery, I have only two days for that to go ahead?...

Is it time to contact the company, do you think folks?

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Too long?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 03:08:26 PM »
The Royal Mail has a policy of not leaving parcels unattended unless a previous signed agreement to permit this has been lodged with them.

This policy tends not to be adhered to on a constant basis. We have had several parcels left in our bin store (that isn't lockable) without any agreement. Some these parcels have been sent signed for but obviously no signature was given  :-[

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 03:48:25 PM »
See no issue, as I have done the same before with sending a polite email asking what is happening of the supplier.

I have had similar frustrations with supposedly large miniature companies in the UK. My favourite being able to track parcels that sit for 2 weeks being "picked". Not even getting to actually being posted

I agree and would lean towards its busy post or just slow initial send, especially nearing xmas, even if frustrating, and mainly slow initial sending.

Our regular 'postie' is usually very good, and its really easy to tell when he is on holiday by the number of extra post thats not ours...

Best/worst one was a signed delivery, it was missing did not have it,  and when I traced the package online - it said 'Signed for by "Bin"'.. Ok it was in the bin when I looked, but I didn't recognize its signature...

former user

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 04:22:29 PM »
one second too long...
back to the OP

I don't thing there is any harm in asking after two weeks wait, they might not be aware of the problem. Have they confirmed the despatch?
usually in Germany I would ask after one week, from abroad after two.
even earlier if I posted an order and they did not confirm, which should be the usual procedure.

post order
order confirmation
despatch confirmation
delivery
for every step not taken there is a reason to ask.
Also, if they are not responding to anything, there is also no harm in cancelling paypal. You can always pay again, that's what they are for

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 04:33:55 PM »
Ha Ha Dusty Bin!

I have no issues with the posties here they are very good. Also we are friendly with all the near neighbours who we often take in and sign for postal and courier deliveries for, and Vice versa. Also in all honestly, miniatures are not the most likely thing to be stolen in transit as they are not that resalable,

There is an outside chance that it has been lost in the post, but I strongly suspect that the company has not dispatched the item and this is why I posed the question. If they haven't I think that is a bit off, frankly.

The original order was confirmed, they money has gone out the account, but no miniatures.

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 08:09:05 PM »
Does anyone ever consider the weekends? Thirteen days ago...so the 5th or the 6th, right? And Rememberance Day is a holiday, correct?

So that is 13 - 5 = 8 business days. Or seven if they took a long weekend (ie. the 10th as a holiday).

What time of day did you place the order? After everyone had shut shop? (ie. that day doesn't count). And then your stuff goes into the queue of orders to fill (and other committments).

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 08:45:21 PM »
also don't forget if the miniature company in question was at shows they will have been busier than normal ,I always wait the 28 days (or whatever ) before contacting them .

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 09:57:56 AM »
Does anyone ever consider the weekends? Thirteen days ago...so the 5th or the 6th, right? And Rememberance Day is a holiday, correct?

So that is 13 - 5 = 8 business days.

Rememberance Day is not a holiday as far as I am aware...Arguably the powers that be here think that us British have too many Holidays already...but that is off topic ;)

As for business days, I hear you, although the UK Post still moves over the weekend- there are no postal deliveries on Sundays but I believe that the movement of post still carries on.

Erm, I don't know what is so contentious about Dusty Bin?? ???  I didn't watch the clip was that the problem, maybe it is a copyright thing?

Anyway, thanks for your input. The main purpose of the topic, apart from venting, was to question what others think is a reasonable time to wait for deliveries in an age where most large and small Businesses (certainly in the UK) can get parcels to internet buyers within about five days at the most.

I know that there are exceptions and situations where miniatures have to be cast to order but as far as I am aware, in this instance, this is not the case. If it is I would have liked to be informed of the reasons for the delay :)

Offline Bergil

• Mad Scientist
  • Toy maker
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 10:19:56 AM »
Last week I sent a package first class and signed for however it arrived a week late.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 10:38:40 AM »
i've had stuff delivered from LAF members in the UK within 4 working days (and vice versa)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 10:42:26 AM »
Had recent issues where only part orders recived place 3 weeks or more ago

One company replied and said waiting on delivery from caster the other hasnt bothered replying to my emails yet

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 01:00:35 PM »
in an age where most large and small Businesses (certainly in the UK) can get parcels to internet buyers within about five days at the most.

I think that is a myth. I believe that it does happen, but I don't think it should be considered an expectation.

Of course, the UK is so small it is almost practical to hand deliver the mail.  lol 

Re. Remembrance Day. Surely a holiday for government and Royal Mail?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 01:13:47 PM »
I binned a couple of posts because some people tend to ignore the rules about not posting "funny pictures" lacking direct relevance to (or derailing) the topic discussed - get a Tumblr account already if you feel so inclined. ;) The actual discussion of the deplorable practice of placing parcels in bins is of course allowed, provided it contributes to the ongoing topic.

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 01:26:22 PM »
I think that is a myth. I believe that it does happen, but I don't think it should be considered an expectation.

I only speak from my own personal experience as a UK citizen. We may complain about it from time to time, but in my opinion, it still does a pretty good job, letters posted first class, really do often arrive the next day.

(I realise that this thread does read rather differently to those of you who live in much much bigger countries, and I have no idea how long mail takes to arrive in the majority of them)  :)

Not even the Queen gets Remembrance Day off... She is workin' Gawd bless 'er...

former user

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 01:32:52 PM »
things can get delayed and take longer that the average five days. Communication is therefore paramount and should be a given without having to ask. Many online sellers tend to forget that. Service habits have always been the defining quality of a good trader - what else do they have to offer - in the long term
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 02:11:24 PM by bedwyr »