Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:55:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Z-Day 005 -Thor's Journal -There's No Place Like Home -Pt2  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
Z-Day 005 -Thor's Journal -There's No Place Like Home -Pt2
« on: December 02, 2014, 10:32:16 PM »
Z-Day 005 - Thor's Journal
Day Five- There's No Place Like Home
Part 2
an ATZ FFO Batrep

Day 1 http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=73105.0
Day 2 http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=73108.0
Day 3 http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=73135.0
Day 4 http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=73176.0
Day 5 Pt1 http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=73326.0

After seeing off the gangers [see part 1], we ran down the street to Rebecca's apartment. We're not waiting for the Police this time. Besides, we need to bustle if we don't want to be caught on the wrong side of a Police quarantine line. Rebecca's Mom's apartment is in the Papalina Building that is right next to a county health clinic. That wouldn't be a bad place to be during the zombie apocalypse would it?

The doors to the building are open, not a reassuring sign in this neighborhood. The apartment is on the first floor and the door is unlocked. rebecca wanted to run in, but Gwyn held her back as I opened the door and called in. A gurgling moan was the reply followed by the stench of Zombie. The undead charged me from the poorly furnished living room.

I put 2 shots into it without slowing it down, grasping claws reaching for me. I struggled and Stark tried to get a shot off.

Gwyn screamed as a neighboring door opened and a dead old man staggered out and attacked her.
She knocked it down with her tier iron but is trashed and tried to get back up.

Stark, stepped over and put it out of our misery.

As I slammed this one down, crushing its head against a old hall tree. Rebecca looked past me and started screaming. It was her Mom that was in the apartment. Gwyn grabbed her and I tossed an old blanket across the zombie. Gwyn held the sobbing child as Stark and I made sure the apartment was empty. A sad tale was laid out on the kitchen table. Bloody bandages were scattered and the moms ATM card was next to a receipt showing her account was overdrawn. Next to the card was a pair of gold rings. Later Rebecca told us those were her parents wedding rings, her father having died in Iraq. It seems her Mom had come home to get the rings to pawn for money when she was attacked.

Gwyn helped Rebecca gather up what meager clothes she had to take. We also looked thru the aprtment for anything that might help us, but as you can imagine there was nothing here. We put the rings on a string around Rebecca's neck and Gwyn took an old Louisville Slugger that Rebecca's Mom had.
[Gwyn's now the figure with the baseball bat, we still need to get her a gun!]

Meanwhile as we were in the apartment, it seems the Police had set up there quarantine, with a roadblock up on Jackson by the Park.

Four officers led by Sgt Apone [Rep 5] Frost [Rep3]

Vasquez [Rep 4] & Hicks [Rep3] [figures armed as shown]

We had to get out of the aprtment and make it back to the Japanese Garden to escape the quarantine and make it home.

We eased out fo the building.

and ran across Adams street

With a smash, a ton of Zombies poured from the clinic out of the Washington Ave door

the Zeds stood moaning as if they were unsure what to do

It seemed the Police were taken aback and were also unsure what to do, what was the crowd going to do?

Apone moved for a better look

3 Zombies turned from the crowd and started towards us

We fled for the fence. Stark and I helped the girls cross and clambered over ourselves hoping there wasn't a junkyard dog on the other side.

Apone rejoined his team and told them to get ready.

The Zombies stood still, moaning [another round the Zeds failed to activate]

Meanwhile, a Hummer came barreling down Jackson, Rap blaring from the windows.

We slowly cross the junkyard, hoping not to draw anyone's attention.

three more Zeds joined the group and the slowly started to head down Washington towards the roadblock.

Apone faces down the Hummer, the driver deciding discretion was best, slowed and began to turn around as directed.

A fire erupts in the abandoned pharmacy behind the Police

As it accelerates back up Jackson, we move thru the alley and can see the Moon Gate to freedom!

The Zombies keep moaning and staggering towards the Police who are still unsure what to do.

The Police aim as Apone shouts for the crowd to disperse. At this point I don't think he knew what they were.

We run for the gate and almost get run over, but the asshole stops in time.

Apone yells something about a final warning.

The Hummer peels rubber and is gone.

Just as the Police open fire

The drop the first line [face down is rally dead, face up is just knocked down]

The remaining Zeds rush the Police

Vasquez gets knocked over, but Frost steps up and drops the Zombie

Apone is rushed and is bashed the Zed down with his scattergun

Vasquez gets back up and the Police drop the remaining Zombies

While we head to the Park

Ah... Sweet Victory! But What the Hell are they? Zombies?

They're getting back UP!?!

We leave to the sounds of gunfire and melee! Frost goes down!

The rest of the Officers are sicked as the Zeds start to eat Frost!
[The d6 is there to show how many turns Frost's body will occupy the Zeds]

Hick's flees, Vasquize take cover, then Apone ralys them, leading them into the park, radioing in the roadblock is overrun!

As we run as fast as we can back across the Park to my waiting Cruiser. We pile in and I peel rubber to the sounds of sirens and gunfire!

We staggered into my place and collapse stunned. Rebecca is still crying in Gwyn's arms as she takes the little girl into the bedroom to lie down. Stark turns on the TV hoping for something to cheer us up but all the news is talking about how the Mayor of Chicago's news conference was over run by infected. That's what the news has taken to calling the Zeds even after now seeing crystal clear HD footage of an attack. From the direction of the Park we can still hear gunshots. I pour Stark and myself a shot of Jack and we settle down to clean the gear. This is going to be a bad night I think.

Well a roller coaster of a game, but at least none of Thor's crew died. This game was based on the Police Quarantine scenario from the Haven book, and it was a lot of fun playing the Officer's first encounter with Zombies. Personally I was hoping for a distraction to let Thor et al slip across the line unnoticed, but I wasn't expecting a mini hoard on turn 1. At least the Zeds didn't get to activate for a few turns. That helps the Police attention and allowed Thor to run for it. It was heartbreaking to find out about Rebecca's Mom, but at least we know what happened and that she is not out there looking for her daughter.

To see if Rebecca's mom was home I made up this chart for a d6 roll. You know by now what I rolled.
1- 1d3 in the apartment Zeds [one will be Mom] [it turned out only 1 was in there]
2- 4-6 Gangers in the apartment [go to meet and greet]
3- 1-3 Gangers in the apartment [go to meet and greet]
4- apartment empty but ransacked
5- apartment empty but intact
6- Mom home safe and sound [go to meet and greet]

Afterwards I realized that I should have had Gwyn finish off the zed in the apartment hallway rather than Stark. That way she could have been up for a Rep increase roll. As it was, neither Stark nor Thor made the roll to increase their Rep. Thor made his keeping it together roll, so everyone's holed up in 201, for now.

Thank you for looking.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 11:49:58 PM by Amalric »