Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:11:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 600
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Another WotR/Lion Rampant thread [Painted mercs - 27/01/15)  (Read 11706 times)

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
    • EndTransmission's random gaming things
Another WotR/Lion Rampant thread [Painted mercs - 27/01/15)
« on: December 03, 2014, 02:26:06 PM »
I've been lurking in this part of LAF for a while, mostly gazing admiringly at Captain Blood's thread of WotR insanity (like most people it seems) and never really having a reason to dip into it properly. After some umming and ahhing, I finally caved in and bought some of the Perry plastics and Lion Rampant recently to have something new to paint in an upcoming challenge over on Blogger.

History was one of those things that I enjoyed at school, but never took all that far due to hating writing essays. Thankfully, caving in and buying these figures has rekindled that little spark. If you spot me going down the wrong path, feel free to shout and laugh.  

So with that out of the way, I've decided to do two (initially) small forces for LR, but base them so they would be usable in larger scale battles as well... if I ever get around to joining our local gaming group. This does assume they actually play WotR, but hey. Preparation is worth while.

The painting challenge that I'm involved in hasn't started yet, but we're allowed to start building and undercoating the models. Better, painted, photos will start appearing over the next month or two as I work my way through them. So far I've built 6 mounted men at arms, 12 archers, 12 bill, 12 dismounted men at arms, a spare kingly type (just because) and one standard bearer. These all use bits from all 4 WotR plastics, plus some Warlord Commando bits when I needed new hands or some bare heads.

This little force is going to belong to Richard Woodville, 1st Earl Rivers. Why? Purely because I like his magpie livery :)
After a little chat to Citadel6, they kindly made me the livery transfers for him last week to go with the banner they already do. The transfers are now up on their site for anyone else that wants them.

Here's a sneak peek at the dismounted men at arms and the pikes. The middle MaA in the first photo is clearly saying "I'm coming for you..."

Eventually the second small force will be Henry Stafford as my wife is from Staffordshire and various friends used to be in the reenactment group. I've no idea if they ever ended up facing off against each other, but I'm not all that historically ocd that it matters much.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 07:54:47 AM by EndTransmission »

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
Re: Another WotR/Lion Rampant thread
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 06:13:43 PM »
That's looking good so far, nice poses. 
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 07:27:09 PM »
be following with interest
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 09:27:13 PM »
A good start I would say! Clearly if your wife is from Staffs, she is certainly your better half by far.  ;)

I've never looked into him much, but there is certainly an odd irony that a Woodville should have a magpie for a badge.
 lol

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 03:50:53 AM »
I am looking forward to following your progress with great interest.

I have a pile of 15mm WOTR miniatures and I am thinking of building a couple of small forces myself.

Cheers,

Barry
Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 10:25:30 AM »
A good start I would say! Clearly if your wife is from Staffs, she is certainly your better half by far.  ;)

You may be right there, though I'd be sure not to say that at home ;)

I've never looked into him much, but there is certainly an odd irony that a Woodville should have a magpie for a badge.
 lol

I havn't either, but given his family's later desire to grab as much power as possible, the Shiny Shiny reaction does seem to fit nicely.

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 10:28:13 AM »
I have a pile of 15mm WOTR miniatures and I am thinking of building a couple of small forces myself.

I was tempted by a 15mm WotR force, but these plastics were far too tempting as there's nothing more satisfying than hacking apart various plastic figures and making a new one.

Speaking of which, I need to sort out some extra photos from last night as I've got 5 of my 6 mercenary crossbows made. Two of which have had leg swaps from other kits to provide a uniform appearance.

Offline zenbadger

• Assistant
  • Lion Rampant revived my mojo...
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 11:38:12 AM »
Looking like a nice army there. You have a lot more patience than me, I manage to assemble two or three before I get fed up and start undercoating!
His Codpiece Made of Metal - my Lion Rampant (and other things) blog

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 05:46:04 PM »
Looking good so far mate. Yeah I can understand why you didn't go for 15mm after how nice looking the perry plastics are.

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 06:41:42 PM »
As I mentioned earlier, I started making some mercenary crossbows. The four crossbows you see here all started off with exactly the same pose body, but two of them have had leg swaps to provide a bit more diversity on the figures. Hopefully I can use the remaining bits to get at least one archer out of it so the models aren't completely lost. The swordsman head is another Warlord commando head.

These won't be usable in a game of Lion Rampant yet though as I only have one more body left and they come in groups of 12. I need to find another 6 of this head type and 6 of the body with jacket over a breastplate... why oh why did I decide to make the mercs have a uniform?! If anyone has any of this body or head going spare that they would be willing to swap for some of the other bodies/heads on any of the Wotr kits,  PM me :)

The first batch are currently sitting in the cold cold garage being undercoated as tomorrow marks the first day of the painting challenge... so expect painting updates soon!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 06:52:57 PM by EndTransmission »

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 06:42:56 PM »
dammit. double post
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 06:46:41 PM by EndTransmission »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 07:04:09 PM »
Well done. Some nice builds there. Love the mercenary captain.

Beware though, they are addictive  ;)

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 07:27:14 PM »
Tell me about it. I'm already eyeing up the new plastic set!

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 11:19:29 PM »
I was tempted by a 15mm WotR force, but these plastics were far too tempting as there's nothing more satisfying than hacking apart various plastic figures and making a new one.

I quite understand. I was very tempted to go with the Perry Miniatures myself, but decided to stick with 15mm as all my gaming terrain and 99% of collection is 15mm.

I wish the 15mm WOTR miniatures by Foundry were still available. If I remember correctly they were also sculpted by the Perry Twins.

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 11:21:22 PM »
Nice work on the crossbowmen.

Cheers,

Barry