Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:09:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Interest in Generic Troops and Western Civilians: Modern 28mm  (Read 13929 times)

Offline arget8

• Scientist
Interest in Generic Troops and Western Civilians: Modern 28mm
« on: January 13, 2015, 02:16:06 PM »
LAFers,

I am looking to determine interest in a miniature range that I am considering having made and trying to determine what are the most desired ranges for modern conflicts (post 1985 for the most part) for a potential kickstarter. At this point, I am thinking that I would like to produce generic Middle East military (i.e. Syria, Iran, Iraq, etc.) and generic insurgents in western clothes and paramilitary garb (i.e. Syria, Ukraine, etc.). Potential future projects are the IDF and other unavailable options such as generic African troops.

I am doing this as I am tired of not having the variety of other scales in 28mm and I think that a project like this will fulfill a lot of gamer wishes, including mine. At this point I am planning on contracting eBob if there is enough interest in this project.

At this time, I am just judging market interest in my proposed projects, so wild suggestions are completely welcome. If you guys have any other suggestions or think that another potential range is needed more than the proposed ones please let me know.

Thanks,

Gunnar
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 06:58:39 PM by arget8 »

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Interest in Modern 28mm
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 02:40:01 PM »
You will need to look at Empress, Eureka, Gripping Beast and Spectre and decide where there are commercially relevant gaps.

Generally, I think there is an good supply of up to date and high tech forces - US Army, USMC, Delta, Seals, SAS, British Army, Australian Army, Russians and even Chinese.  I think Empress also said that they plan Germans at some point.  There are also good ranges of Taliban and a few insurgents from Empress and Eureka.  Spectre have just launched quite a good range of African militia.  Mongrel used to have some Israelis etc but they are hard to find now.

There is a definite need for generic figures to represent soldiers and militias of many Middle East, African and South American nations.
Many could be actually be the same figures with head swaps.

Mick

« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 02:48:57 PM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 02:54:07 PM »
That is why I am looking to do the generic soldiers and western civilians. I've been doing a ton of looking as I have recently gotten into the modern scene and I feel that there are gaps when it comes to Middle Eastern militaries and civilians not wearing either a dish dash or shemaghs. I want insurgents that can be used for conflicts all over the world. There are lots of Middle Eastern and African options out there, but I've seen that there is a gap in the market for western style insurgents. The soldiers are also something that I hope can be easily modified to serve for former Soviet nations as well. I know for a fact that the IDF hasn't been done, either.

Gunnar

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 03:26:08 PM »
You will need to look at Empress, Eureka and Spectre and decide where there are commercially relevant gaps.

There is a definite need for generic figures to represent soldiers and militias  many Middle East, African and South American nations.
Many could be actually be the same figures with head swaps.

Mick

What Mick said. Those are all good places to start. And have been looking for decent figs to use in decent western (Europe, N. America..etc) attire to use in a future, imagination or my Shattered Union modern American Civil War project.
Or even American militia types. would think a few types, mostly with LBEs or chest rigs. if they have armor its just chest plate's. mix of shot guns, hunting rifles and standard ARs and Aks. Optional separate heads. Bare head, boonie caps, baseball cap, and cold weather caps.
And troops from say India. I just love the Pakat helmets. And I would be down to get some modern IDF too. Can do double duty for middle east and for my fictional Caribbean country Atlántico!
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Nimrod

• Scientist
    • Слишком много ножей
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 03:29:12 PM »
Considering militia forces be they African, middle eastern or European, it is quite surprising that nobody still not made them in plastic in style of excellent wargames factory zombie survivors.
For a big forces like militias  plastic is the best choice to make a very characterful forces.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 04:54:19 PM »
Considering militia forces be they African, middle eastern or European, it is quite surprising that nobody still not made them in plastic in style of excellent wargames factory zombie survivors.
For a big forces like militias  plastic is the best choice to make a very characterful forces.
I think the Zombie Survivor sets are a good start if your going the plastic route. I am looking for a bit more uniform myself. Which I guess you are too.

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 05:05:20 PM »
I have seen the survivors from WGF and while impressive as models, they don't feel like rebel militia/insurgent to me. I am looking to create gritty and realistic looking group of people that you would expect to see in Syria or Ukraine rather than random people wearing shorts and flip flops who just picked up an AK yesterday. I considered picking up the survivors at one point, but I decided against it.

Gunnar

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 05:18:11 PM »
I have seen the survivors from WGF and while impressive as models, they don't feel like rebel militia/insurgent to me. I am looking to create gritty and realistic looking group of people that you would expect to see in Syria or Ukraine rather than random people wearing shorts and flip flops who just picked up an AK yesterday. I considered picking up the survivors at one point, but I decided against it.

Gunnar
Pretty much my view on them too.

Offline Nimrod

• Scientist
    • Слишком много ножей
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 05:30:13 PM »
It seems that my language skills failed me. :)
I mentioned WF survivors as an example of variability of possible combinations of body parts and weapons but not as an example of how militias must look.
Would be nice to see something like that for lets say African militias-armies.
Lots of plastic bodies with different hands, heads and weapons, and some accessories, all of them  must be definitely African looking so i can construct more or less unique mob  from them.
And same also applies to generic middle eastern and European guys.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 05:34:03 PM »
Oh no you are fine, I just posted my response up assuming you might not have see the survivors set. But those are some good ideas too. Hard to pull off but interesting none the same.

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 06:30:33 PM »
Like the good commissar said, no worries. I think plastic manufacturing might be a little beyond my current state of the business at the moment, but maybe if things work out well I may take a look into plastics in the future. Below is what I am thinking for the potential ranges:

GENERIC ARMY: Total poses = 20

-   Firefight (4 unique poses)
-   Patrol (4 unique poses)
-   Skirmish (4 unique poses)
-   Command (4 unique poses)
-   Heavy weapons (4 unique poses)

INSURGENTS: Total poses = 32

-   Militia firefight (4 unique poses)
-   Militia skirmish (4 unique poses)
-   Militia heavy (4 unique poses)
-   Militia command (4 unique poses)
-   Paramilitary firefight (4 unique poses)
-   Paramilitary skirmish (4 unique poses)
-   Paramilitary heavy (4 unique poses)
-   Paramilitary command (4 unique poses)

I'm thinking of adding a support unit to the military to separate the RPG's and RPK's as well. Bringing the total for the army to 24 poses. I'm still doing research as to whether I want to go completely unique poses or have say 10 poses and then change up the arms and have separate heads. At this point, I am definitely leaning towards having separate heads as it will allow for more customization (i.e. helmets, winter/patrol hats, berets, bare heads, and masks)

Let me know what you guys think of the above.

Gunnar

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 06:51:43 PM »
I am guessing the Gen military will have AK style rifles,  body armor and all that jive?  Militia will be in civies and paramilitary will be police? Just making sure. Aside from that seems like a good start.

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 07:00:52 PM »
Army: Ak's, body armor and decent kit, probably original K-pot helmet (style-wise)

Militia: civilian clothes (sneakers, jeans, cobbled together kit and assorted weapons- mostly AK's). Think Syrian/Middle East rebels

Paramilitary: assorted weapons (mostly AK's), most have fatigues and various kit. Think pro-Russian rebels in Ukraine and professional fighters.

I may be able to cut the number of completely unique sculpts for the paramilitary by having them use sculpts from the army range and changing up the arms and heads.

Offline gimzod

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 07:03:59 PM »
As I need more for my fictional country I'd love  insurgents in western clothes. Some modern female soldiers would be great as well.

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 07:05:55 PM »
Female soldiers are definitely going to happen when I do the IDF. I may consider doing a stretch goal for female insurgents, though.