Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:13:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686445
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vladimir's Miscellaneous Fantasy Thread  (Read 53581 times)

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
That's a great looking dragon. Good luck with him, and be sure to post pics once you have him painted up!

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
Fair enough Pete.

You could try sanding and filing the saddle flatter, if it breaks from the spines perhaps the plastic cement will be enough for the spines to become one with the dragons back. And you could try adding some GS scales where the seat used to be. Just a thought.

I've broken the propellor on my tiger moth 3 times now, each time plastic cement makes it almost as good as new! Hahaha.

Results may vary with the colour scheme based on overall skill and large things taking a long time and making me go, 'stuff it, I just want to finish this now and move on to the next thing.'

lol I know that feeling! Try and take it slow Pete. If you get bored do something else for a while, but I think it deserves a once in 10 year paint job :D use all your skill Pete, I know you can do it. And good luck with the yellow! ;)

Cheers
Matt.

Offline Thew1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
That's a great collection of reptilian rapscallions you have there! Also I have to approve of the 'if in doubt - get a Dragon' approach. Can't wait to see it painted  :)

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
Re: Valdimir's miscellaneous fantasy thread (it'll end up being mostly warhammer)
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 12:20:11 PM »
That's a great looking dragon. Good luck with him, and be sure to post pics once you have him painted up!

Ask and ye shall get stuff, friend! Pics to come.

lol I know that feeling! Try and take it slow Pete. If you get bored do something else for a while, but I think it deserves a once in 10 year paint job :D use all your skill Pete, I know you can do it. And good luck with the yellow! ;)

Cheers
Matt.

I would, but if I keep moving on to new projects, I just have a bunch of half-painted models staring at me as I go out to buy more shinies. I passed a major bump this arvo though, so the going will be much smoother from here on in.

That's a great collection of reptilian rapscallions you have there! Also I have to approve of the 'if in doubt - get a Dragon' approach. Can't wait to see it painted  :)

You mean there's any other approach than getting a dragon?

Here he is, basecoat all done and ready for washes. You might notice that his wings are a slightly different colour than his body. That's because he is a special dragon and I definately didn't run out of a paint that isn't sold and more and then bought the wrong colour to replace it. Fortunately, I had enough of the original paint left to tidy up my mistakes from this point.

This thing has proven not only a delight to put together, but to paint as well. There's a few challenges up near the rear legs, but nothing that can't be solved with a little elbow grease, patience and this: https://youtu.be/BSLPH9d-jsI

Say what you will about GW, agrellan earth comes up a treat!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:29:09 PM by Vladimir Raukov »

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
Re: Valdimir's miscellaneous fantasy thread (it'll end up being mostly warhammer)
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 07:22:05 AM »
'Nother post. The stonework came out a little darker than I planned, but I was using the absolute last dregs of that pot of black, so that's what I've got to work with.

The yellow flowed a little here, but it'll be fine once I get cracking on the next stage.

Dat face.

Is there something on my shoulder? Is it a spider? Oh I really hope it's not a spider...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:29:42 PM by Vladimir Raukov »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2015, 07:45:30 AM »
Great start on the dragons colours. Looking good

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2015, 10:05:04 PM »
Nice work, the yellow wash has really helped to tie the slightly different yellows together, further highlighting will finish the blending perfectly I think mate. 8) 8)

Hahaha lol lol that guys face is awesome. Let's not tell him it was just Dragon breath :D

Cheers
Matt.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
Re: Valdimir's miscellaneous fantasy thread (now with added dragon)
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2015, 02:29:12 AM »
Great start on the dragons colours. Looking good

Cheers beefcake! He was a lot of fun to paint, compared to the troglodon.

Nice work, the yellow wash has really helped to tie the slightly different yellows together, further highlighting will finish the blending perfectly I think mate. 8) 8)

Hahaha lol lol that guys face is awesome. Let's not tell him it was just Dragon breath :D

Cheers
Matt.

Well, if you liked that...

Look at him, just sitting up there.

What? You new around here or something? Figures. That dragon up there used to belong to Kresh, eater of babies. Real nice fella, that.

Kresh was a warlord 'round here. Real big goals, you know the type.

Now, Kresh is long dead, but his dragon just sits up on that mountain. Our livestock are too scared to leave the stables. Who knows what it's planning?

Say, you lot're adventurers, aren't ya? Go kill that thing and we'll give you gold. That's how it works, right?

I had a lot of fun doing this one. The belly didn't quite turn out the way I expected and there's a few imperfections here and there, but I like it this way.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:30:58 PM by Vladimir Raukov »

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
Just a quick update here.

I picked up Dana here at MOAB last year at the paint and take table. Her skin tone looks more natural in person. Perhaps she's casting a spell?

Fed up with the restrictions of the local Mage's Guild, Dana took to the forests to do things her own way. I initially thought of her as a halfling, but she is comprable to some of my human-sized miniatures if I took the time to base her. Then again, some of my dwarves are nearly human sized as well...

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:31:30 PM by Vladimir Raukov »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Nice. Very good variety of colours used, they suit the mini well.

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
Ooh she turned out well, the stone and potion flask especially 8)

I agree with Kieran, the purple top contrasts nicely. :)

Cheers
Matt

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
Nice. Very good variety of colours used, they suit the mini well.

Cheers! I wasn't too sure about the purple, but sometimes a good gamble pays off, eh?

Ooh she turned out well, the stone and potion flask especially 8)

I agree with Kieran, the purple top contrasts nicely. :)

Cheers
Matt
Cheers! I'm still not sure what made me pick purple, but we are now in a world where it is a thing. And now for more miniatures! The first comes with a story and everything!

This little waif was sent to a prestigious (some would say pretentious) school for white mages (mages? magi? maguses?) at a great cost to her family. She studied hard, but the fact that she couldn't afford a full uniform led to her classmates taunting her relentlessly.

When she couldn't take it any more, she slipped into the woods, leaving behind naught but a note that said, "I'm sorry." After wondering through the fog, she came across what she thought was an abandoned camp.

The owner was not impressed.

The girl threw up her arms. "Please, sir knight! I'm cold and starving and I've nobody to teach me magic!"

"Magic, eh? Well, Miss Cuthburt's isn't too far from here, I'll take you there."

"But I just came from there! I tried so hard, I did, but the other girls call me a filthy peasant...and other things that were worse! Please, surely you know someone who can teach me! I...I can cook and clean real well if you need me to pay you back, but I-I..."

"Enough, child. I won't send you back there, but I'm a tad between fortunes myself. Tell you what, you come with me and we'll find someone. Now, could you do one thing before we settle in for the night?"

"Sure, what?"

"Can you make my soup not be on fire? I'm not one for a meal that spicy before bed."

The girl took a breath, placed her hands in front of her and willed the fire to vanish. Fortunately, there was just enough for the two to share. Where will their adventures take them? Tune in next time...(which will probably be a month or two from now when I paint the next thing)

This guy doesn't have much of a backstory compared to the girl, but I did relearn the lesson of not attaching a rider to the mount before painting, so that's something, right?

His shield is covered in skin from the first dragon he helped slay. He could have lived comfortably for years on that one act, but adventure is not a calling that is so easily ignored!

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:32:24 PM by Vladimir Raukov »

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
Liking the dragon shield Pete, very cool stories too!  8)  8)

Cheers
Matt

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
Liking the dragon shield Pete, very cool stories too!  8)  8)

Cheers
Matt

It's your turn now, mate! Crack open the paints already!

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
Behold, I live!

First up is some LotR scenery I picked up at MOAB last year. I tried to make it match a deserty/mine floor, for a little project that Bertrand needs to start at some point. If I keep this up, I might finish what I got last year in time for MOAB next year!

I wanted to make the stone the statues were made from look out of place, but still matched to the ground in a way, like they'd been dragged from somewhere else. Where could they have come from? Where are they going? Nowhere, silly. Statues can't move...or can they?

Just a shot from the top. I wonder what caused the campers to flee before they had a chance to start their fire?

Well it sure wasn't this guy, that's for sure. This is Wildfire Magni, an adventurer from a noble house of mystics. He himself can't use magic and set out to prove himself worthy of respect, admiration...and ladies. He normally doesn't have a goatee, but this is as close a model to the character as I could find and I couldn't be bothered trying to get the beard off.

While stalking the woods for dinner one night, he chanced upon a knight clumsily trying to teach a young mage how to use magic. Seeing that their attempts would likely get the forest (and anything edible) burnt or possessed to a crisp, he stepped out and offered his services.

At first, they rejected his offer, until he pointed out that he was probably the only person willing to offer help to them for miles around for a low, low price, so they'd best think again.

So now they're travelling together, for good or ill...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:33:12 PM by Vladimir Raukov »