Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:23:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Latest news from Victrix  (Read 11742 times)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Latest news from Victrix
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2008, 09:06:26 PM »
Well they're jolly good, and set your riders off a treat. Lovely.

On the musket front, I have been in a few erm.. events and theatrical productions in which we have had cause to run around with replica Brown Bess muskets, and I can tell you from first hand experience they are bloody huge - not nice neat, well-proportioned things like modern rifles.
Those Victrix British muskets don't look out of proportion to me.

I agree I did have an indian parttern one that sat over the mentlepiece for a long time, big heavy beasts

Offline garyapsledene

• Bookworm
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2009, 06:54:34 PM »
A little note to say that Victrix has now included the British Flank Companies for both the Peninsular and Waterloo wars.

http://www.victrixlimited.co.uk/online_shop/index.php?
I've been told that I am an all round nice guy, well, that what he said before I shot him

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
Hmmm. Speaking as someone who hasn't played Napoleonics for 20 years - and has no intention of starting again, despite the admitted appeal of what Victrix are doing - can somebody please remind me as to the difference between British flank and centre companies?

Much as I like the product, it seems peculiar to go to all the trouble of making 4 variant sets of what are basically, bog standard British Napoleonic infantry  ???

(I'm guessing one sort had furry epaulettes and a longer tassle on the shako, or something equally unimportant to all but the purest purist?)

I'm sure a lot of people will find the accuracy laudable, but reading the Victrix statement in Gary's other post, about how very costly it is to produce plastic sets, and the very high sales volume required to achieve a return, I really do wonder why they started out down this route of tooling 4 different sets of a basically similar product when they could have just pressed ahead with one box of British infantry, and - ooh, I dunno... French infantry? 

Just a bit odd... 

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2009, 11:14:08 PM »
Hmmm. Speaking as someone who hasn't played Napoleonics for 20 years - and has no intention of starting again, despite the admitted appeal of what Victrix are doing - can somebody please remind me as to the difference between British flank and centre companies?

Much as I like the product, it seems peculiar to go to all the trouble of making 4 variant sets of what are basically, bog standard British Napoleonic infantry  ???

(I'm guessing one sort had furry epaulettes and a longer tassle on the shako, or something equally unimportant to all but the purest purist?)

I'm sure a lot of people will find the accuracy laudable, but reading the Victrix statement in Gary's other post, about how very costly it is to produce plastic sets, and the very high sales volume required to achieve a return, I really do wonder why they started out down this route of tooling 4 different sets of a basically similar product when they could have just pressed ahead with one box of British infantry, and - ooh, I dunno... French infantry? 

YOu must know how anal some Napoleonics gamers can be :D one wore Belgic whilst the others wore stove pipe. I am assuming that the tooling would be limited for the different sets possibly heads etc.

Just a bit odd... 

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2009, 11:15:09 PM »
The flank companies have a sort of 'wing' on the shoulders instead of a coloured epaulette with a furry edge (apart from that, there may be some equipment differences, but I don't know).

The biggest difference between the pre-1815, and the Waterloo uniform is the shako. Could easily have been included as an optional piece...??
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2009, 03:59:24 PM »
I had thought that the flank companies would come in skirmish and assault poses. if not it does seem a bit silly as they could have just done a sprue of "wings".

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2009, 08:56:23 AM »
I had thought that the flank companies would come in skirmish and assault poses. if not it does seem a bit silly as they could have just done a sprue of "wings".

They could have done that anyway - a skirmish pose is essentially just a firing, or a loading pose. Remember, that rarely the entire company would be skirmishing at any particular time.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2009, 01:27:05 PM »
True, but I am thinking of it from my biased "Sharp Practice" and "Song of Drums and Shakos" skirmish game point of view. I want maximum pose variety for that stuff.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2009, 08:41:21 AM »
What'd like to see in plastic are the earlier (1790's-1806-ish) French in long tailed coats and bicorns and their Austrian opponents.

While the Brits and later French from both Victrix and Perry are excellent they are already well represeneted by at least a dozen manufacturers in metal. Now I know that kicking off a new range in plastic is probably at this particular time a bit of a risk, but I'd have thought that plastic would have been the ideal way to capture the irregular feel of that earlier period and at the same time tap into the period of some of nappy's greatest victories.

Similarly the Austrians - France's implacable foe.

And finally..
Is anyone looking at 28mm WW1 plastics?? given the quantity of figures required for something like Warhammer Great War and the simplicity of uniforms compared with Napoleonics I'd have thought this was a sure thing...

Keep up the good work tho - its always good to see well designed figures in any period.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2009, 12:43:21 PM »
Eureka have the early French covered and are working on the Austrians. Not as cheap as plastic, I know, but well worth the expense IMO. I bought the "one-of-everything" deal at Fall In and I love them.

Offline garyapsledene

• Bookworm
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2009, 01:56:07 PM »
The 3 up galley from Victrix is up and now showing photos of the French Infantry, which as I understand is a box of 60 figures with  fusiliers, voltigeurs and grenadiers. And a choice of bicornes bearskins for early French and belltop shakos and bearskins for the later French. As well as infantry this will include Officers, NCOs' Drummers, Horn player, Porte Aigle, Eagle bearers and Porte Fanion.

http://www.victrixlimited.com/3-up_gallery/index.php?

Intesting enough, but why didnt they do the same for the British Infantry instead of putting Flank and Centre companies in separate boxes? :?

I plan to use most of the Victrix flank figures for Light regiments as Victrix states that they will plan to release Light Infantry heads (stove pipe shako).

Perry are expecting to release the British Infantry as well, but their set will include shakos for both the Peninsular and Waterloo eras. Also will include Riflemen! :P

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2009, 03:27:07 PM »
I've got 72 Crusader and Front Rank French infantry which is more than enough for Sharp practice, but I suspect I will fail my discipline check and grab a box of these also.

Actually if they aren't too out of scale with my Eureka early French I may grab a few boxes...