Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:03:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Latest news from Victrix  (Read 11747 times)

Offline garyapsledene

• Bookworm
Latest news from Victrix
« on: September 16, 2008, 08:20:44 PM »
I have to say the Victrix customer service is second to none, earlier today I emailed Steve of Victrix to ask of the progress regarding Victrix new hard plastic Napoleonics, and was surprised to get a full and complete report a few hours later.

Hi Gary,
We will be putting some news items up hopefully by the end of the week.  But the basic jist is that there is going to be a slight delay on getting the first releases out, we are looking at them coming out about 6 weeks from now which will be end of October/first week in November. Everything is  looking fine it is just that there has been a delay at the pattern Making stage due to holidays being taken by key people in August which has put us a bit behind. Frustrating but not a massive delay.The first sets to be released will be the Waterloo and Peninsualar centre companies followed a month later  by the Flank companies sets for both, sooner if we can!

We are going to be making some seperate Head conversion packs for Light Battallion shakos, Guards in oil Skin covers, Hanoverian line and Landwhere heads and some seperate back packs and some speciality figures like a guards officer, Light company Bugler etc...to convert the plastic sets.

The French are being sculpted at present and are looking very nice indeed, fusiliers have been done so far and starting on the Grenadiers/voltigeurs. We shall show some photos in the next few weeks and possibly a sneak peak  of one of them by the end of the week. Currently we are looking at other avenues of production so we can increase the speed the sets are released, once we have that sorted we will be able to give a more accurate release date for the French.
 Hope that answers everything?
Very best regards,
Steve.

Those of you who havent heard of them, their website is as follows
http://www.victrixlimited.com/index.php

The idea of having Head conversion packs is the best news for this range, this I am sure, will give you the widest possible range of figure types for your wargaming.

I look forward to their ranges coming this year, and can see a few boxes in my Christmas bag!!

Gary
I've been told that I am an all round nice guy, well, that what he said before I shot him

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Latest news from Victrix
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 10:44:12 PM »
These look bloody excellent. Hard to tell as we're looking at the outsize masters, not the finished 28mm product, but to my eye they look way better than the various plastic Romans currently out there, and actually, I think even better than the Perrys ACW stuff.

But somebody please shoot me if I ever get into Napoleonics again  ;)

They don't half look tempting though...

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 08:42:02 AM »
These look bloody excellent. Hard to tell as we're looking at the outsize masters, not the finished 28mm product, but to my eye they look way better than the various plastic Romans currently out there, and actually, I think even better than the Perrys ACW stuff.

Blimey, they do look good ;D

I think we are both safe as long as we support each other, you know the kind of thing, stick together, share our thoughts, must not give in.. will not give in.. Although I bought Sharp Practise the other day primarily to use with my Alamo stuff...AAAHH :o
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 09:38:13 AM »

Steady on, Old chap!  Better than Perry figures?  Surely not! :o

Oh, you could be right there. They are superb.

Think I'll go and lie down a bit, till I recover from the shock.......

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 09:55:16 AM »
And I have been thinking of buying Sharp Practise to use with Eureka's new FRW.... A period I really think fit for skirmishing... and now this....my first and greatest wargaming love is the Napoleonic Wars... I need to clone myself to have somebody to send to work to earn money while I paint and game.... preferably 2-3 clones to make money enough for all those toys...  ;D
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 09:57:04 AM »

Steady on, Old chap!  Better than Perry figures?  Surely not! :o

lol Hard to believe isn't it.

Actually - brilliant as the Perrys are and always have been - I'm not altogether keen on the slightly dumpy style they seem to have acquired with their own stuff in the last few years.

Interestingly, it's not evident in their LOTR stuff for GW, nor in the their 40mm figures which are beautifully proportioned.

But whilst they remain, for me, the masters of naturalistic poses, there's just something slightly squat about the anatomy of their 28mm figures that I've taken against (to the extent that I bought most of their ECW range, then sold them on and went for Bicorne / Renegade instead, because I found the foot figures in particular just too, well... short-looking.

Beauty, as ever, is in the eye of the beholder...

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 11:09:31 AM »
Oh again, a temptation. A new collection of plastics??
argsilverson

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 02:08:55 PM »
I picked up Sharpe Practice and it looks excellent. I am playing my first game on Friday if all goes as planned. I have some Old Glory marines and RN types and am eyeing the new Crusader and OG second ed. crapauds, but I think I will be adding at least a box or two of these to the forces also.

Offline Johan

• Scientist
    • http://www.tsoa.be
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 07:27:23 PM »
I've seen the masters in the flesh and they really do look very nice indeed. Actually one wonders why no one ever had this idea before. Airfix once had their multipose range with 2nd world war figures in 54mm scale. and the way they were done made 1000's of conversions possible.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 09:36:58 PM »
I've seen the masters in the flesh and they really do look very nice indeed. Actually one wonders why no one ever had this idea before.

Probably because the cost of producing molds for this kind of minis and 'get started' has lately dropped dramatically with the introduction of new technologies.

Previously, you really had to be sure that you could sell masses of a set of plastic before even considering getting the moulds made. With lower starting costs, you now have to sell far less to break even and start making some money - that's why we see - and will see - many new plastic ranges these days and the years to come...  :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 10:41:46 AM by Argonor »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 09:09:48 AM »
I know they will probably never make them, but I'd love to see Royal Marines and sailors for coastal raiding scenarios.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 10:44:37 AM »
I know they will probably never make them, but I'd love to see Royal Marines and sailors for coastal raiding scenarios.

You can get those in metal. Most of that kind of wargaming 'oddities' will probably come as metal minis for many years to come. To make plastic sets, you still have to do ranges people will need for building units... but a mixed set of sailors and marines, including a couple of swivel guns and small naval guns would be nice....

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 12:12:44 PM »

You can get those in metal. Most of that kind of wargaming 'oddities' will probably come as metal minis for many years to come. To make plastic sets, you still have to do ranges people will need for building units... but a mixed set of sailors and marines, including a couple of swivel guns and small naval guns would be nice....

Yes, I've seen them. They are quite nice figures, but not as good as these. And more expensive, no doubt  :(

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 03:00:31 PM »

Blimey, they do look good ;D

I think we are both safe as long as we support each other, you know the kind of thing, stick together, share our thoughts, must not give in.. will not give in.. Although I bought Sharp Practise the other day primarily to use with my Alamo stuff...AAAHH :o
[/quote]

How difficult would it be to convert plastic French to passable Alamo Spanish ?

I was looking at them for US War of 1812 proxies
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 03:01:46 PM »

Write and ask - they may not have any plans, but then again if you don't ask you won't find out.