Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:32:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690820
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SPECTRE: Operations now online!  (Read 5332 times)

Offline Spectre Miniatures

• Librarian
SPECTRE: Operations now online!
« on: February 01, 2015, 08:13:23 PM »
Thought I would start a separate thread for this so it isn't missed!

Spectre: Operations is now available as a free download!

From the forward:
'Spectre: Operations has been designed to reflect the reality of modern combat while still retaining fun, momentum and playability. It encourages the player to apply modern tactics to effectively command his troops, or rely on numbers and brute force to achieve the aim.  It stresses the importance of the individual soldier and illustrates the many complexities of the modern battlespace. The rules can be used for operations as small team-level skirmishes to task-force sized, fully fledged combat operations.'

Suitable for skirmish up to around 100 figures on the table. With some mods it can even be used for WW2 up to Scifi gaming.
Download, give it a go and tell us what you think!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ascu51oyml953i3/Spectre-Rules-v1.0.pdf?dl=0
www.spectreminiatures.com
Bleeding edge warfare in miniature

Offline nils

• Librarian
Re: SPECTRE: Operations now online!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 08:29:41 PM »
i spoted new figures!!
you thought about a "printer "frendly version?

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 08:48:35 AM »
I downloaded them yesterday and had a read.

They look quite good and not too complex. Will have to try them out once I've printed them (or put them on my iPad).

Will there be any extra stats for Tanks etc?

Thanks Dan.

Offline Pentaro

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 11:41:59 PM »
Thanks for the rules! We played (or tried at least) the first version and I liked the concept. I can see lots of new stuff in this one.

First question, can Rapid fire or Automatic weapons shoot at more than one target in a single turn? Sorry, p73: Automatic weapons can.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 11:47:37 PM by Pentaro »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 10:20:52 PM »
thank you for this new ruleset !

I think the focus on special forces/individuals is very interesting. The "command actions" is also very promising.  The "lethality" of weapons is also a fresh concept (as far as I know), and the way suppression is managed sounds cool too !

I would be also happy to see a printer friendly (for me, simply means no colored/textured background) version.

Now some positive criticism :

I readed the rules fast and diagonal ( so maybe I simply missed the chapter/section of the concerning rules) but the only thing missing is the psychological/morale side of warfare. For instance, the "bleedout" rule is original, but I was surprised to not see any psychologic impact rule for it.

Reading the rules, the combat sounds a bit like everyone is an elite, hard boiled operator (or robot  :D), keeping cool nerves in every situation. Wich sounds logical for special forces or elite (often former special forces) contractors, but sounds a bit weird for militia or even regular troopers. I know there is the suppression rules, but for me suppression is more a "mechanical" problem than a morale one;

To conclude on a more positive point, the figures and scenery is simply gorgeous, some of the all time best modern warfare wargames pics I've seen. And I have to say that it's already a very impressive work, both rules and publishing work, considering it's a free ruleset !

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 03:45:16 PM »
thank you for this new ruleset !

I think the focus on special forces/individuals is very interesting. The "command actions" is also very promising.  The "lethality" of weapons is also a fresh concept (as far as I know), and the way suppression is managed sounds cool too !

I would be also happy to see a printer friendly (for me, simply means no colored/textured background) version.

Now some positive criticism :

I readed the rules fast and diagonal ( so maybe I simply missed the chapter/section of the concerning rules) but the only thing missing is the psychological/morale side of warfare. For instance, the "bleedout" rule is original, but I was surprised to not see any psychologic impact rule for it.

Reading the rules, the combat sounds a bit like everyone is an elite, hard boiled operator (or robot  :D), keeping cool nerves in every situation. Wich sounds logical for special forces or elite (often former special forces) contractors, but sounds a bit weird for militia or even regular troopers. I know there is the suppression rules, but for me suppression is more a "mechanical" problem than a morale one;

To conclude on a more positive point, the figures and scenery is simply gorgeous, some of the all time best modern warfare wargames pics I've seen. And I have to say that it's already a very impressive work, both rules and publishing work, considering it's a free ruleset !

Thanks for the comments and kind words.. A lot of work has gone into this project and we are really pleased with how it is panning out.
A large portion of the rules are actually written by a member of our team who, shall we say, has plenty of experience with this kind of thing in the real world.

We have considered a moral effect - but we have found that suppression already has quite an impact on movement and shooting. There may be scope for figures close to a model which is removed as a casualty having a 'suppression' effect. We are very conscious not to introduce too many new rules though!

Doing a printer friendly version is a definite though!

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 03:53:07 PM »
Roughly how many models would you say this plays best at? I realise the game can be played from just a few models up to 100 but what level would you say it plays best at?

These rules look like a great way to recreate something like the old Rainbow Six or S.W.A.T games on the tabletop.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 04:08:03 PM by carlos13th »

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 05:24:29 PM »
Roughly how many models would you say this plays best at? I realise the game can be played from just a few models up to 100 but what level would you say it plays best at?

These rules look like a great way to recreate something like the old Rainbow Six or S.W.A.T games on the tabletop.

We tend to use around 6-12 on the SpecOps side and 20-30 on the Militia side. But it depends on scenarios (Which we will be adding soon!), Kit etc.

Glad you think so, Rainbow Six is still one of my favourite games. Looking forward to the new one!

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 11:45:08 AM »
To help you get to grips with Spectre: Operations, we have designed these laser cut acrylic tokens to help you keep track of what is happening in the heat of battle!

Check them out here! http://www.spectreminiatures.com/collect…/gaming-accessories

Also, we have been working hard behind the scenes to enable us to drastically reduce postage charges on all orders!

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 12:06:34 PM »
I note from Facebook that these are designed for 20mm round bases.
Do you think that you will do 25mm versions of these markers at some point?

Most of my moderns are on 25mm EM4 plastic slottabases.
I try to keep the whole figure within the base, to protect the weapons from damage, so I also have some figures with long weapons on 30mm bases.