Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:08:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Raid on the Fergusson Farm - song of Drums & Tomahawks  (Read 22896 times)

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
Re: Raid on the Fergusson Farm - song of Drums & Tomahawks
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 12:55:51 PM »
As you say  ;)

"Green" could be interesting for civilians or militia new in the country...: Morale test for someone seing a friend one killed for the first time in the game.
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 04:14:48 AM »
Great suggestions and conversation. We will definitely be introducing some new Traits and characteristics for weapons in the Sourcebook covering the early period of European and native contact. Here was our thinking on the ones you mention from Song of Drums and Shakos:

Green -- we don't use the gruesome kill rule in this set, so as written, it would have no effect. Use the "Wavering" rule instead.
Fervor -- I'm thinking "Elan" would give the effect of an aggressive attacker
NCO -- we are talking about adding it back in, but our "unit" size is so small in these games, a sergeant could easily be the Leader.I know technically NCO is any assistant leader. We are seriously thinking of adding it in with the Sourcebooks.
Hero -- already in the rules, plus we beefed him up a bit, too.

As for the "fast reloader" suggestion, I would keep that for special characters -- like legendary heroes and such. I would not introduce it for rank and file, as there really is no historical justification. It is a nice idea and could easily be used to represent some historical figures who could load very fast...or fictional ones like Hawkeye.

As for the Song of Drums and Shakos two-rank fire, I never really liked that rule. This is a skirmish game. There are some things you simply need to drop when you get down to this scale. Fighting in ranks, for one. When you are talking a dozen guys against another dozen guys, the whole idea of ranks would disappear very quickly. I think what happens is in reading about the battles of the period we want to replicate the tactical features. But this scale is not meant for that. Would you try to have your foot figures form square against mounted figures in a game with less than a dozen figures per side? No. Same thing with the two rank fire. It belongs in a larger scale game -- not a skirmish.

That said, ideas like the husband-wife team as reloading and passing weapons DO fit in a skirmish game. They are probably best as a scenario rule, but still, a good fit.

Let me know if you playtest your ideas and give me your views. This past Sunday, we got together and playtested a bunch of stuff for the early period...war dogs (de Soto and the Spanish had them), native splinted light armor -- all kinds of stuff!

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 10:27:56 AM »
hey Mike,
happy to see back in the LAF.
I propose the Nco option because when we play on several tables and forces are split, it's could very usefull...
I understood the "Leader" trait as the overall commander on the table....that's why i see in the NCO trait a possibility to improve the reload process for common troops....

Will try that option, in our next battle, friday 20th. The follow of the Raid on the Fergusson farm"...Or how Sasquash and his warparty (and his two female captives) will deal is return trip to his canoes to leave the american river side. In pursuit, there are the militia patrol, some neighbours and a ranger patrol coming at the opposite.
Who reach the canoes first ?
How the young warriors, guarding the canoes, will react to rangers.
How long they hold their position before the arrival of Sasquash and the warparty ?

Just wait and read the next battle report ......... :-*

Cheers
Eric

Offline Orange

• Student
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 01:13:13 AM »
Regarding the rank fire thing, watch Last of the Mohicans again to see why they don't use it. During the ambush early in the film, the British form a firing line when the Indians attack. The Indians see it, and when the aim order is given, they hear and and hide behind trees. Then they charge through the smoke. Just a movie, but I could imagine that you'd learn very quickly how the European tactics and orders worked.

Volley fire works great when you're following the "gentlemanly" European style of war, but when you're fighting amongst trees against people who aren't playing by your rules I can't imagine it'd work so well!

If you were to have it in the rules, I could almost see it as being something where you givea group order to set the line, then you'd have to give a separate group order to fire in a following turn. This would give your opponent the opportunity to react--to get into cover I'd imagine.

Offline sespe

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 02:54:49 AM »
As I've said before, my biggest love/hate is the "2 consecutive for reload" rule.  I love the simple "he's either loaded or unloaded, no in-between."  But I hate that some low-quality folks will never get to participate after the first shot.  I understand why it was designed that way, but a Q5 behind a stockade wall becomes pretty useless.  I end up picking less characters at higher Q.
I'm the Sergeant of an AWI re-enactment unit.  We have a live fire requirement for all our riflemen.  Even the most fumble-fingered middle-aged desk warrior can meet our requirement after a bit of practice. 
I'm still looking for the perfect solution. I don't want to give up the simple loaded / unloaded mechanic, but I want even the Q5 folks to have a chance.

My next idea:  I use small white cotton puff balls to mark unloaded. I'm going to dye some of them grey.  The first time a character fails a reload attempt they go from white to grey puff ball.  The second time they fail there is still a turnover but they are reloaded.

I'll try it this weekend...

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 07:35:55 AM »
we use the small cotton smoke marker too.

Your idea of a white and grey smoke could resolve the boring problem of book recording of actions.
That's could be a solution...

tell us if it's work well   ;)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 06:28:50 PM »
If you have a scenario where some figs are behind a stockade and can reload without worrying about the risk of being charged in melee, I guess you could try this. It would require 2 different colors of markers (or 2 per figure).

1. Man on stockade fires, mark as unloaded with 2 markers (or fully unloaded style marker).
2. Next turn, man on stockade forfeits his roll for activation, and instead removes one of the markers ((or switches it to the "partially reloaded" style.
3. 3rd turn, man on stockade chooses either
(A) forfeits his roll for activation and is fully reloaded
(B) rolls normally, needing one activation to be fully loaded

Why choose A over B? If you want to fire that turn, you will still have to risk turnover by rolling for two or more activations. This preserve the decision making aspect of the game. I honestly believe one of the reasons players enjoy the system is because they are constantly being called on to make decisions that dramatically affect the course of the game.

So. With this method, the player still chooses on Step 3, "Do I risk it? Or stick with slow and steady?"

Let me know what you think.

Mike Demana
wow.firstcommandwargames.com

Offline sespe

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 03:00:17 AM »
Mike, you are a genius! 

The 'forfeit instead of roll' idea is great.  It incorporates the choice / risk decision that we like so much. 

I will try it out...

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 11:11:29 AM »
that's could be the solution.

;)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 10:42:40 PM »
Mike, you are a genius! 

Ha, ha...you're too kind!  lol

Mike Demana

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
Part 2 - Raid on the Fergusson Farm - song of Drums & Tomahawks
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 10:57:07 AM »
That's the next adventure of Sasquash, the Huron Leader ! With some much delay !   :?

Back from the Fergusson Raid

right here for some details (use the translate Button)  

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr/p/de-notre-envoye-special-pascal-alias-le.html

No too much pictures (we forget our camera).  :'(

Cheers
Eric
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:15:58 AM by nervisfr »

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 03:15:32 PM »
A new episode of the Saga :

right here :

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr/p/apres-votre-fuite-reussie-du-territoire.html

The huron raiders are near their destination, but......

o_o

cheers
Eric

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2015, 03:12:05 AM »
I love the storyline format of your scenarios! Hope your players are having as good a time gaming them as I am reading them...!

Keep them coming...

Mike Demana

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2015, 08:34:03 AM »
they were.  :)

For each battle they don't know how the story will develop (or not if they fail their mission).

I always have some ideas for the next story (aka scenario) even if they change the situation during a game. Like the kill on the Huron Chief, Pahassapa. That wasn't expected so i have to change my story lines, with new situations....

Thank you for your interest.

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2015, 09:59:11 AM »
I think that is the thing with these small scale skirmish games- the narrative is always very strong. You only have a handful of figures so you get more involved in their individual stories, give them names, attribute them personalities and back-stories. it really adds to the fun in a way you juts don't experience in larger games.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/