Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 03:48:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694510
  • Total Topics: 118611
  • Online Today: 570
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 8
Guests: 498
Total: 506

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (ogre bodyguard for Mordheim)  (Read 411429 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (back to 15mm)
« Reply #885 on: April 20, 2017, 01:29:45 PM »
Some ideas for the 15mm project: I had a look round the 15mm stuff I have to hand, and realised that with orcs/goblins from various different manufacturers, I have plenty of different sorts of humanoid for old-school RPG adventures. I'll probably use the very small Magister Militum goblins as kobolds (in pale, earthy colours) and the Alternative Armies orcs as D&D-style goblins (these guys):

I then have Essex and Demonworld orcs that will do as orcs and hobgoblins (doesn't matter which, so long as they look distinct: I may paint one lot red and the other - shudder - green to keep them distinct on the tabletop). So the large orc I painted the other day will probably be a bugbear. Of course, I may not use those names, but the figures should match the profiles in Whitehack (or any other iteration of D&D).

But what about larger monsters? When I was working on the Mayhem stuff, I sorted out some 28mm figures that looked good as giants and the like in 15mm. This is harder than it seems, I think, as many figures are just far too big, and many others simply look wrong: too detailed or inappropriately armed, or looking up rather than down. But I think the old solid-based Chronicle black orcs will make rather good ogres.

They're strange models; true 25s, I think, which might explain why they're acting so menacing although they're relatively tiny (smaller than the Chronicle wolfriders of the same time, who don't really have a foot counterpart); they're perhaps not even half the size of the slottabased Chronicle black orcs. But their aura of menace translates really well to 15mm, where the crudity of the sculpting looks right. And those that have shields have relatively small ones, which somehow helps to make them more convincing as outsize creatures. There's even a shaman, which gives me an ogre mage. And they'll also work as a little 28mm warband.

I'm also going to use at least one old Chronicle hobgoblin as a fire giant (or balrog, perhaps). He's on the right of this picture. I suspect he'll end up with jet-black skin and fiery hair.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #886 on: April 20, 2017, 02:00:49 PM »
The smaller Fellows are just as BEAUTIFULLY painted as your older & larger pieces. They do have the edge of starting out state of the art. OUTSTANDING WORK once more!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #887 on: April 20, 2017, 03:11:04 PM »
Looking very good indeed!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #888 on: April 21, 2017, 12:51:17 AM »
Thanks, gents!

Here are the first two kobolds. Quick - very quick - simple paintjobs, purposely using the same hues as the bases for a "sons of earth" look.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with kobolds in 15mm)
« Reply #889 on: April 22, 2017, 05:19:09 PM »
Here's a troll and some based goblins for the 15mm project. In a previous burst of 15mm enthusiasm, I'd set aside some GW gnoblars that I thought would work quite well as D&D trolls crossed with their Bauer kin. This is the first of them. The Alternative Armies goblins were painted ages ago, pretty roughly. But they'll do.

I'm keeping the bases intentionally simple and dull. I plan to have PC miniatures in rather bright colours, with monsters tending towards the pallid and ghastly. These burnt-umber bases could be cavern floor, dirt track, forest floor or churned battlefield. I might add some greyish stones to them later, and maybe some patches of moss or whatnot.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with kobolds in 15mm)
« Reply #890 on: April 23, 2017, 01:23:23 PM »
Here's a dual-purpose 15/28mm miniature. He's the right size for a D&D-style troglodyte in 28mm. But his primary purpose is as a 'big nasty' in 15mm games. I've got a few more of these to assemble, some of which have sci-fi adaptations for Rogue Stars, etc. But I'll probably do them all the same way, as I quite fancy surprising a few PCs when some of the primitive monsters of the underworld end up brandishing long-forgotten ancient technology.

In the meantime, I see this beast as a bad result on a wandering-monster table ...

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Here's the first of some 15mm Essex orcs. These are much nicer and more detailed than they appear from the Essex website. They're based on the 28mm Bob Olley range, though I don't think they're actually by him (I could be wrong). In some respects, the 15s are actually nicer figures - or at least more mainstream; I really like the 28s, but I suspect they're not for everyone.

I might touch up the tunic and the severed head a little, though at this scale there's a strong "is it worth it?" factor.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
And a rather over-exposed shot of the giant troglodyte (who isn't used to bright sunlight); but it shows his stone spear to better advantage.

Offline Shub-Nullgurath

• Bookworm
I've had trouble doing Stone / Obsidian spears in the past, how would you recommend it?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Nothing fancy - I just painted it black and drybrushed it white (with a very dry brush). When I converted it from a "metal" spear, I cut lots  of irregular facets into it, so the drybrushing picked all the edges up. I was going for a flint effect; had it not come out as intended, I'd probably have washed it in dark blue or green ink and then drybrushed again.

Again, nothing fancy - but it looks OK, I think - and certainly like stone rather than metal.

Offline Hummster

• Scientist
    • My blog
Here's the first of some 15mm Essex orcs. These are much nicer and more detailed than they appear from the Essex website. They're based on the 28mm Bob Olley range, though I don't think they're actually by him (I could be wrong). In some respects, the 15s are actually nicer figures - or at least more mainstream; I really like the 28s, but I suspect they're not for everyone.

I might touch up the tunic and the severed head a little, though at this scale there's a strong "is it worth it?" factor.

The Essex Fantasy ranges in 28mm and 15mm definitely have character compared to some ranges which just seem to be generic orcs, dwarves, etc.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
Wow, I didn't think the Essex 15mm orcs would look that good. Nice job

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks!

They really are quite nice little figures - but sorely mistreated by their own website!

I've now got three of them done - all in "medieval manuscript" blue - the colour of Giotto's devils. At this scale, I think it's a good idea to give each group of humanoids a fairly strong visual identity, so I'll be varying my orcish hides by group rather than by individual.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Here's the first 15mm ogre - actually an old Chronicle black orc. These guys were about half the size of the slottabase Chronicle black orcs and show their age a bit - which makes them perfect for 15mm use. They also have suitably bad-tempered faces. I've got several more lined up for ogreish duties.

The 15mm menagerie has swollen a bit now - enough for a smallish dungeon-crawl. There are many more underway ...

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
After another game of Sword and Spear Fantasy over the weekend, the participants were restored to the Cabinet of Shame. The number of cave goblins has grown alarmingly in recent weeks; I had trouble fitting them all in. Some are large and evil - peely-wally uruks of no fixed abode ...