Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 09:03:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (undead warband for Mordheim)  (Read 414590 times)

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
I thought it might be you Justin.
I still have those Russian VSF figures you painted for me. They haven't been in action for a while but still cherished.

Offline mikemystery

• Lurker
Hah! sent me to this thread after asking "is this you/" on Facebook. But i'd recognise that painting style anywhere! Hobgoblin: very kind of you to big-up my painting ;) actually in Edinburgh at the mo: moved to Singapore, got "shitcanned" (to use the professional term) couple of months ago, so back in the old country for a few months with the aged parent till I get another job somewhere sunny. Would love to meet up for a pint some time if your free. Great to see you're still painting
Started painting again last year, bus as ever slow as hell. Hk doesn't have much of a scene, but lots of games stores in Singapore: plan is to finish my Empire army one of these days. But all in storage in Singapore. But LUCKILY found a couple of boxes of old lead in mother-in-law's garage. Lots of pre-slotta chaos warriors, orcs (a lot of broken halberd to deal with, broo bodies (to fit the bag of heads overseas ;), and some nice bits I'm trying to fit together (leadbelcher, old orc war machine, elven attack chariot etc..). I'm nitromorsing at the moment (then an extra dettol wash). I'm ashamed to admit I think I stripped a couple of Troglodytes you painted in a rush, lost most of my well painted miniatures to the hunter/bruce's semi regular D&D group (still going strong believe it or not, albeit on a bi-annual basis: my involvement somewhat restricted by geographical remoteness). Anyway! Just got admin approved! I'm gonna check out the rest of the posts and photos in the meantime!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Would love to meet up for a pint some time if your free.

Definitely! I'll send you a PM.

Started painting again last year, bus as ever slow as hell. Hk doesn't have much of a scene, but lots of games stores in Singapore: plan is to finish my Empire army one of these days. But all in storage in Singapore. But LUCKILY found a couple of boxes of old lead in mother-in-law's garage. Lots of pre-slotta chaos warriors, orcs (a lot of broken halberd to deal with, broo bodies (to fit the bag of heads overseas ;), and some nice bits I'm trying to fit together (leadbelcher, old orc war machine, elven attack chariot etc..). I'm nitromorsing at the moment (then an extra dettol wash).

Use Biostrip instead! Works just as well, doesn't smell and is eminently reuseable. It's taken my stripping of miniatures to industrial levels recently.

I'm ashamed to admit I think I stripped a couple of Troglodytes you painted in a rush, lost most of my well painted miniatures to the hunter/bruce's semi regular D&D group (still going strong believe it or not, albeit on a bi-annual basis: my involvement somewhat restricted by geographical remoteness).

Those very glossy green and yellow ones (painted with some Tamiya stuff, I think)? No worries! I stripped the third of those recently myself!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Swiftnick pointed me to a (reasonably) local Hordes of the Things tournament. The only problem was that it's 15mm; all my HOTT stuff is in 28mm. But I've got lots of 15mm, there's a month to go, and HOTT armies are fairly small.

I had a look around, and realised that my 10mm "ogres" (actually very large 15mm Blood Dawn orcs) are already legitimately based as warbands or hordes in 15mm HOTT. Ditto for my Copplestone trolls. So that gives me six points already - a quarter of an army. I could also use my 10mm wolfriders as beasts; the wolves double up as natural-sized 15mm animals in the Copplestone ranges, and the riders are perfectly decent small orcs. At a pinch, I could use my 10mm orcs and lizardmen as hordes.

But I'll still need to get some more stuff done. I made a start last night, with this behemoth. I like my miniatures to work for more than one scale when possible, and this fellow will do that splendidly. He'll be a greater warbeast for 15mm Dragon Rampant (either solo or as one of a three-strong unit); he'll work as a giant or vast behemoth unit for 10mm Mayhem; he's a nice size for a big baddie in 15mm D&D; and he'll do perfectly well as a tough beastie in 28mm Song of Blades or a Brute/Tank in Battlesworn. And, should I ever play Warhammer again (don't think I will, but you never know ...), he's correctly based as a troglodyte - and the right size too.

A very quick paintjob - black undercoat, dry brushed grey then white, and then washed with GW washes before the details were painted in. I used Curis's 'Lauren Bacall' technique to get the blood splatters on the club. It was so quick, in fact, that I think I'll try to get another couple done today. That would give me three behemoths, which would be half a HOTT army ...

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with a 15mm HOTT behemoth)
« Reply #1174 on: October 08, 2017, 03:49:35 PM »
Nothing like an impending day of gaming to get the units moving through the painting table!

Like that big dude - he is certainly a good size, as those Copplestone Oleg Hai aren't small!

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with a 15mm HOTT behemoth)
« Reply #1175 on: October 08, 2017, 04:12:58 PM »
He's a bit good matey - massive though!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1176 on: October 08, 2017, 10:49:33 PM »
Nothing like an impending day of gaming to get the units moving through the painting table!

Like that big dude - he is certainly a good size, as those Copplestone Oleg Hai aren't small!

Thanks!

Yes, he's about the size of a 28mm Citadel ogre of the Golgfag's sort (first or second rendition). So big enough to be a proper behemoth.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1177 on: October 15, 2017, 12:44:52 PM »
I've been crushed between the grinding gears of work this week, so didn't get much painting done. So I blew away some cobwebs with a quick, crude paintjob on an crude plastic miniature. Close-ups don't flatter him, but I quite like how he looks on the table. He's a quintessential RPG/skirmish evil guard - right down to his unworkable combination of bardiche and shield.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Looks good for quick and crude.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
And here's a curiosity: a 15mm Asgard troll. Deano recently painted up the 28mm version splendidly. That one's still in print, but I can't even find an image of the 15mm one on the web. I wonder if Alternative Armies have the moulds. I think it's one of the nicest 15mm troll miniatures I've seen.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (hobgoblin & 15mm Asgard troll)
« Reply #1180 on: October 15, 2017, 03:40:55 PM »
Those are really great! The face on that Goblin is fantastic. Shoddy speed-job my arse!  lol

Second fellow (him with the blue face) looks like he's on the phone.  :)

« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 03:43:03 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (hobgoblin & 15mm Asgard troll)
« Reply #1181 on: October 15, 2017, 04:00:34 PM »
Gotta agree with Plynkes, that Hobs face is stunning.
 :-*

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #1182 on: October 15, 2017, 04:06:52 PM »
That wee troll is a cracker. What is on the end of the chain?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1183 on: October 16, 2017, 12:35:19 PM »
Thanks, all! The sculptor should get credit for the face - it's nicely detailed and horribly leering, even though the rest of the miniature has that typical board-game-piece "softness".

That wee troll is a cracker. What is on the end of the chain?

A great big spiky ball!

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #1184 on: October 16, 2017, 01:32:04 PM »
More great additions to the ever expanding collection
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com