Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 11:03:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696154
  • Total Topics: 118745
  • Online Today: 459
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (undead warband for Mordheim)  (Read 414638 times)

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
@Hobgoblin: Sir, you are a painting machine.  Love the Skaven.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Re: Gesso, it's worth knowing that white gesso can be a bit 'translucent', so appears streaky. It's just the way the pigment carries in the body (you can even get clear gesso). For its intended use it doesn't really matter, even the streaky bits will be primed, but if you're wanting to make use of the gesso colour then that'll cause you problems.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, Ragnar!

I am on holiday, so I can lurk here as often as I want!
Looked up Pabeo Gesso.  I found they have Artist Acrylic Gesso, Studio Gesso and One Coat Gesso.  Which one are you using? 

This is the stuff I've been using: Studio, judging by the pot. It's great stuff - and dirt cheap.

Jagannath: that's a good point. I think the DR white gesso might have worked just fine. I painted most of a beastman last night, and the gesso's receptivity to paint seems top-notch. I'll see how it works with a less stodgy wash over the weekend.

I recall that Aly Morrison suggested painting armoured miniatures by glazing the bare metal; clear gesso might be a good way of doing that.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Great job on the troll. Really nice. Is it still available from rpe?

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Cheers! It was certainly very fast - I'm going to try out that speed technique on a few other things tonight.

I don't think RPE or Iron Wind do this guy at the moment, though he crops up fairly frequently on eBay. I think I got him for a quid or two.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
I have been using Pebeo Acrylic Gesso for some years now it seems.

Its my default go to undercoat, my eyes don't seem to do well with white undercoats.

Watered down of course with either acrylic thinner or water.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
I haven't been watering down the Pebeo black at all, oddly enough: it covered very nicely and didn't obscure even delicate Ral Partha detail on that troll.

Here's a beastman undercoated in white DR gesso. I'm not a huge fan of this era of Citadel beastman, but he'll fill various roles adequately. I want to put together a chaos warband for Battlesworn, and as he's relatively humdrum, he can be one of the four mandatory Fighters (his friend in red will be a Brute or a Beserker). Also, I'd like to have beastman replacements for the five chaos thugs in Shadespire, as we've been playing four-player games with friends, which involves a duplicate warband. The red-armoured fellow will do for Garrek (the leader); this guy could be one of the dual-wielding (alas!) minions. And in the megadungeon I'm planning, I'm envisaging some outdoor areas bordered by near-impenetrable forest, from which such beasties might emerge ...

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with a grey beastman)
« Reply #1387 on: January 20, 2018, 09:36:31 AM »
Very nice!! The beast in the red armour is a cracking looking figure and you have done him proud. :)

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #1388 on: January 20, 2018, 01:01:31 PM »
Lovely job - that group's shaping up nicely.

I had a play about last night with the method you've used on the troll (I used pretty light basecolours) and it's pretty effective and crazy quick... the one 15mm barbarian I tried it on probably took about 3 minutes actually painting time. I wont add a pic to your thread, but he's here:

I've been hankering to do a small, multi-basing project recently - think I'll try out this method for the whole lot... cheers!!

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1389 on: January 21, 2018, 06:32:24 PM »
Thanks, both!

Jagannath - that barbarian looks great. Not a bad three minutes' work! I hadn't thought of using the technique on 15mm, but it looks like a good fit. A lot of my 15s end up quite scruffy when I use a lot of drybrushing over white undercoat and thin washes, so this could be a good solution to that. With the new edition of Alien Squad Leader ordered, I can feel a 15mm revival coming on ...

Here's a Citadel lesser goblin (from the old monster starter set). He's a funny little figure - quite sui generis, as he's like neither of the two sorts of lesser goblin that Citadel used to make. I had toyed with using him as a 15mm troll, but he wouldn't be particularly imposing even at that scale. His scrunched-up expression makes him a bit hard to paint - no visible eyes for one thing.

For some reason, I fancy using him as the leader of a skirmish warband made up of much bigger orcs.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with a lesser goblin)
« Reply #1390 on: January 21, 2018, 11:03:33 PM »
Here's another tiny one: a gnome assassin - though I'm treating him as a goblin. The only use I have for gnomes is as a synonym for dwarfs or goblins - or both (Paracelsus-style earth elementals aside, that is).

I bought him on eBay and he arrived yesterday. One resolution I've set for this year is to try to paint up new arrivals within a day or so.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with a lesser goblin)
« Reply #1391 on: January 22, 2018, 12:02:40 AM »
One resolution I've set for this year is to try to paint up new arrivals within a day or so.

That is one HUGE resolution

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
The principle behind it is that I don't order anything more than the odd single figure!  ;)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
COOL STUFF! The Lesser Goblin & the Assassin really appeal to me...it's a Goblin thing I'm sure. THe Little Folk have an ample amount of character. VERY WELL DONE once more!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
Lovely work again, and that lesser goblin sure has an attitude problem!! :)