Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 06:42:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696176
  • Total Topics: 118746
  • Online Today: 453
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (undead warband for Mordheim)  (Read 414825 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Still little time for painting recently (though the mincers are now well advanced), but I did kitbash some Isengard Uruk-hai (more or less) from the stumpy Hail Caesar Romans and Wargames Atlantic goblins. They're suitably "squat and broad" and have the "short broad-bladed swords". The shields demand "a small white hand in the centre of a black field", but I suppose the field need not occupy the entirety of the shield (it could just be above the boss, with something else below - checks, abstract patterns, tribal insignia, whatever).

To be fully authentic, they'd need long bows of yew at their backs; not sure I'll manage that! I'm going to base them as blades for HOTT (fast blades for D3H2), less to act as Isengarders and more to add variety to my orcish forces. I'll also base up some 40mm squares of them so that I can use them in 100mm-frontage blocks for KoW. And I'll probably field them as actual Romans in Impetus (currently looking at which army lists in Basic Impetus to use for a fantasy game).

The broad-bladed swords made me think of Roman legionaries when I first read the book; this White Dwarf cover reinforced the effect:

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (WIP Isengard Uruk-hai)
« Reply #2431 on: June 13, 2023, 12:59:05 PM »
That works a treat!

I think I have a block of those Romans lying around myself. I might be tempted to try something along this line too, but I might try and go for round shields as per the WD illustration.

How do they compare sizewise? 'Man-high'?
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2432 on: June 13, 2023, 02:21:49 PM »
That works a treat!

I think I have a block of those Romans lying around myself. I might be tempted to try something along this line too, but I might try and go for round shields as per the WD illustration.

Cheers! Yes, I'd probably do that myself (and add bows) if I were planning to use them in Middle-earth games (though Tolkien never specifies the shape of the shields ...).

How do they compare sizewise? 'Man-high'?

No - gratifyingly below! ;) It's Saruman's half-orcs that are "Man-high"; the Uruks can't be, or the discussion of the half-orcs (by people all too familiar with the Uruk-hai of Isengard) would make no sense. See also Gimli at the Hornburg.

These guys' heads come up to the shoulders of Fireforge, Perry and Oathmark humans, so I reckon they're perfect! (Probably not so good for Romans, though ...)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2433 on: June 15, 2023, 08:57:08 AM »
Having bought some EM4 dwarves on a whim a couple of years back, I've decided to turn them into a Kings of War army. And that means kitbashing - and using up lots of accumulated bits in the process. Here are the first efforts:

They're slightly fiddlier to convert than the orcs because of the beards, so they'll need a bit of green-stuffing. But there's lots of scope to vary the axeman by changing the angle of both the dwarf head and the axehead - as in the example on the right. I'll probably turn some of the axemen into spearmen too, and vice versa. The crossbowmen will be toughest to convert, but I think some of them could be turned into 'hand weapon and shield' types.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 09:00:49 AM by Hobgoblin »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (kitbashed EM4 dwarves)
« Reply #2434 on: June 15, 2023, 09:08:29 AM »
And some orcs with polearms to keep the dwarves occupied!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2435 on: June 15, 2023, 10:52:41 AM »
You make it look so effortless, and they must be great fun to convert.

I find my favourite conversions are those where I can marry the parts together without any filling. So just some plastic cement, cutters, a scalpel and a few small files as tools. And a sizeable bitsbox, obviously...

More great work. The dwarves certainly look promissing too!

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2436 on: June 16, 2023, 06:23:55 AM »
Both excellent sets of conversions! They all look quite good to me, but the spear orcs are especially appealing - the lad with the furry hat in particular!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2437 on: June 16, 2023, 08:32:52 AM »
Thanks, both!

And Daeothar - yes, cutting and glue only is the best. I've mostly achieved that with the orcs, though a few will need a bit of green-stuffing (some might need bigger ears to match their hats, and I might give a few beards to vary the faces a bit).

Here's the latest batch. I'm particularly pleased with the axeman, who benefits from repositioning at the waist and the spearman with the repositioned left arm (and new fist).

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #2438 on: June 16, 2023, 08:54:08 AM »
A nice on job on those Hobgoblin, but get some paint on 'em! lol

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2439 on: June 16, 2023, 08:59:42 AM »
Cheers! That process is already underway ...

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (more orcish kitbashes!)
« Reply #2440 on: June 16, 2023, 04:33:40 PM »
More great conversions! The fellow on the left - his body (and the arms?) is from the Frostgrave Demons kit, but is his head also from there and has the horns shaved off? In any case, he looks quite intimidating and like he’ll be a good leader for a unit armed with double handed weapons!

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2441 on: June 16, 2023, 04:34:38 PM »
Some fun kitbashes there - slightly questionable choice of head gear for that orc on the right!  Looks like he knicked it off a Victorian farmer, perhaps farmer Maggot met an untimely end?

I think the dwarves perhaps don't need a bunch of kitbashing.  Orcs are ragged, undisciplined mobs so you don't want that regimented look.  For dwarves though I think the regimented monopose works well.  They are drilled and ordered with every dwarf doing the same thing implying that close order.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2442 on: June 16, 2023, 09:31:47 PM »
More great conversions! The fellow on the left - his body (and the arms?) is from the Frostgrave Demons kit, but is his head also from there and has the horns shaved off? In any case, he looks quite intimidating and like he’ll be a good leader for a unit armed with double handed weapons!

Thanks! His body and arms are Frostgrave Demon, yes, but the head's a GW Ungor head with the horns removed. And, yes, that's exacty his role!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2443 on: June 16, 2023, 10:10:23 PM »
Some fun kitbashes there - slightly questionable choice of head gear for that orc on the right!  Looks like he knicked it off a Victorian farmer, perhaps farmer Maggot met an untimely end?

Ha - yes! I'm giving a lot of the archers/scouts broad-brimmed hats - slightly influenced by portrayals of Gloranthan dark trolls (as in this portrayal by Scravagghiupilusu959:

I also like the idea that the scouts are out in the sunlight a lot and so need the protection!

I think the dwarves perhaps don't need a bunch of kitbashing.  Orcs are ragged, undisciplined mobs so you don't want that regimented look.  For dwarves though I think the regimented monopose works well.  They are drilled and ordered with every dwarf doing the same thing implying that close order.

I know what you mean, but the kitbashing is quite addictive! And I need to empty the bits box of the various dwarf heads I've acquired over recent years. Also, I quite like the idea of painting them up as a bunch of squat huscarls with all the variety of shield designs and clothing that that would imply.

There's also the boredom factor to consider when painting! But I'll probably keep the spearheads the same, for example, whereas I'm varying those a lot for the orcs.

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #2444 on: June 16, 2023, 10:16:36 PM »
Yeah, those are amazing kitbashes. :D And a good use for those bloody tiny Warlord Games legionnaires!