Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 02:38:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697703
  • Total Topics: 118854
  • Online Today: 620
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (undead warband for Mordheim)  (Read 417690 times)

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
They look great! The old gangly orcs are some of my favorites, especially for archers, who aren’t likely to be as beefy as the fellows who took to close combat.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, both! Yes, Kev Adams orcs are always a pleasure to paint.

Here's an ogre that's part of an undead warband I painted up for a friend recently. He proved most valuable last weekend, although my pit fighter did manage to take him out of action at one point.

These modern ogres are so big that I've decided to use my old Golgfag's ogres as black orcs in the Mordheim campaign - possibly supplemented by some Jez Goodwin Uruk-hai.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
That's some nice flesh work, that. Scale creep can be a hassle, but you've managed it well.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
He's very nicely painted. Must be massive.

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM

Fantastic work on that armor.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
I wonder how he'd look vs an old "against the ogre horde" heroquest mini, lol

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, all!

I wonder how he'd look vs an old "against the ogre horde" heroquest mini, lol

I think the Heroquest ogre is actually bigger, width-wise at least, than the first and second versions of Golgfag's ogres. The Jez Goodwin versions are  much smaller than the 'giant ogres' he did shortly afterwards.

It strikes me that the Warhammer rules of the first three editions were a bit disingenuous in claiming that ogres were 10' tall; the Regiments of Renown ones are probably more like 7' at best!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Here's an Mordheim undead warband that I quickly painted up for a friend a couple of weeks ago. Something odd happened with the varnishing: they had an initial coat of Vallejo gloss (brushed on) before being hit with four successive layers of matt (at intervals of at least a day). But most of them are still quite shiny. Oddly, though, one of the dire wolves isn't, despite being varnished in the production line with the rest of them.

I suspect it must be something to do with the gloss rather than a fault of the matt; the three drybrushed/contrast-painted ghouls that I threw in with the warband only got the matt, which matted down the contrast, etc., quite nicely. Odd.

If anyone has a remedy, I'd love to hear it!

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
That’s a cool selection of figures and I like the painting.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
A shame about the gloss, that is a cool warband in concept and execution. 🪦 💀 🧟
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
That lot looks amazing. Nicely done.

Thanks, all!

I think the Heroquest ogre is actually bigger, width-wise at least, than the first and second versions of Golgfag's ogres. The Jez Goodwin versions are  much smaller than the 'giant ogres' he did shortly afterwards.

It strikes me that the Warhammer rules of the first three editions were a bit disingenuous in claiming that ogres were 10' tall; the Regiments of Renown ones are probably more like 7' at best!
I wonder if you're thinking the old battlemaster ogre. That was massive. the heroquest ones were regular human size with big guts. Maybe a few mm's taller. Saying that, he doesn't like huge in that line up.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, all!

I got some photos back from the recipient last night, and it looks like at least some of the figures have become more matt in transit. So maybe time will do the trick.

I wonder if you're thinking the old battlemaster ogre. That was massive. the heroquest ones were regular human size with big guts. Maybe a few mm's taller. Saying that, he doesn't like huge in that line up.

Possibly - but I think old Golgfag's ogres are more like the Heroquest ogres in stature: both were originally designed to go on 25mm bases (the second Golgfag lot later had their foot attachments tweaked to become 40mm plugs, but they started with slots for 25mm). Golgfag's 1 and 2 are smaller than 21st-century GW orcs: smaller hands, bodies and arms and only taller because they're standing straighter.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mastermind
Regarding the glossiness, I've found that using a spray (in my case Humbrol) and lightly dusting from further than recommended worked.

Read it somewhere but can't recall where but the spray partially dries before hitting the model, thus leaving a matt finish.

I'd try one before doing them all though.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
Regarding the glossiness, I've found that using a spray (in my case Humbrol) and lightly dusting from further than recommended worked.

Read it somewhere but can't recall where but the spray partially dries before hitting the model, thus leaving a matt finish.

I'd try one before doing them all though.

That's probably the best option I could think of too.

Then again, right now it looks like they've walked through a river like some kind of...non...giving up...ghoul guys!

Loving that pointy flesh mask on the cultist fellow. It's nice and creepy.

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
I think I love the flayed skin hood on the cultist - creepy but oh so fitting

[/quote]
No dear, they are not toys, they are models