Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:27:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: This weeks progress 21st PD project  (Read 97259 times)

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
Re: German MC recon commission finished
« Reply #315 on: January 30, 2023, 06:18:56 PM »
They look so cool, could be mistaken for a bigger scale.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #316 on: January 30, 2023, 10:00:47 PM »
REALLY SURPRISED ITS A COMMISSION LOOKS MORE LIKE A LABOUR OF LOVE!

Bet they are going to be chuffed, I would be...

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #317 on: January 31, 2023, 02:39:34 AM »
REALLY SURPRISED ITS A COMMISSION LOOKS MORE LIKE A LABOUR OF LOVE!

Bet they are going to be chuffed, I would be...
Well I’ve made a business out of what I love doing, so I always put that love into the product, it helps if I really have an interest in the subject as well.

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #318 on: January 31, 2023, 08:31:07 AM »
Hi guys

I’m eternally grateful to those such as Bergmann (who created and suppled for free the Csaba files on thingyverse) and Aidan https://www.thingiverse.com/krankenpz/designs who supplied some of the Pak STLs also for free, many of the designers create these vehicles to be printed and handled on the wargaming table at 1/100-15mm, so they often have thick sturdy details, especially when resized to 1/72 or bigger, sometimes the display modeller in me urges me to update the model (the old fashioned way) to a more scale appropriate thickness, without letting my inner rivet counter raise its ugly head, with that in mind, I have changed the barrel and grab rail, and hollowed the turret and punched out the commanders hatch to allow for a commander on the Hungarian Csaba Armoured car, don’t intend on doing any other changes.

Have added some details to the Pak crews and their bases, using my precious, hard to obtain Preiser detail sprue (wish you could still buy the 1/72 Preiser military sets)

I also had some requests for closer pics of some vehicles from my last post, to show more details, so here they are.
https://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com/2023/01/detailing-hungarian-csaba-armoured-car.html

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
Re: Detailing the Hungarian Csaba armoured cars
« Reply #319 on: January 31, 2023, 12:13:15 PM »
The work you did on those armoured cars really pays off. I have the same print by Bergman in 1/56th scale, and I might copy your approach and make the aerial from gardening wire and change the barrel some.

Activated my inner rivet counter!  lol
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #320 on: January 31, 2023, 12:46:07 PM »
The work you did on those armoured cars really pays off. I have the same print by Bergman in 1/56th scale, and I might copy your approach and make the aerial from gardening wire and change the barrel some.

Activated my inner rivet counter!  lol
Well worth the effort, just be careful to score the mounts below the antenna well, resin can be brittle, you don’t want to shatter the mount, then I cut little troughs in the mounts running in the direction of the wire to give it something to sit in, use the cut away antenna as a guide to bend the wire into the right shape, good luck.

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #321 on: January 31, 2023, 05:15:51 PM »
Well worth the effort, just be careful to score the mounts below the antenna well, resin can be brittle, you don’t want to shatter the mount, then I cut little troughs in the mounts running in the direction of the wire to give it something to sit in, use the cut away antenna as a guide to bend the wire into the right shape, good luck.

Thank you for this advice! Will try to follow it.

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #322 on: January 31, 2023, 08:05:33 PM »
Good work on the Csabas! I have one in 1/35, some modelers here argue about even the correct tire pattern too (Hungarian Cordatic tires were kinda special), my advice is not to overthink it :)

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #323 on: January 31, 2023, 08:14:38 PM »
Good work on the Csabas! I have one in 1/35, some modelers here argue about even the correct tire pattern too (Hungarian Cordatic tires were kinda special), my advice is not to overthink it :)
Yeah, I think they are ready for paint apart from crews.

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #324 on: February 05, 2023, 02:10:26 AM »
Hi guys

Started the painting process for this batch of vehicles, the dark yellow vehicles are for German use, the green for Hungarian, I’ve used several different Humbrols for the dark yellow, no. 83, 94, and 225, the Hungarians got a coat of a mix of 149 and 101, it’s a bit darker than I want at the moment, but I’ll be lightening it a little later, it’s very hot here in Queensland Australia, and my airbrush kept clogging, so gave up on doing the camo, I’m not great with an airbrush, and find applying camo a chore, but I have several other options for adding camo, brush painting, pastel pencils or chalk, will go away and think on how I want to proceed. The Hungarians will be getting red brown and light ochre camo added, the Germans will have a mix of red brown and green camo in various patterns.
More pics here
https://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com/2023/02/spray-painting-base-coat.html

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
Re: Painting process started.
« Reply #325 on: February 05, 2023, 07:34:58 AM »
I used to have shocking problems with airbrushing. I switched to using Tamiya acrylics with their special thinner mixed roughly 50/50 in little plastic dropper bottles, and pretty much never had it clog again.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #326 on: February 05, 2023, 07:39:12 AM »
I used to have shocking problems with airbrushing. I switched to using Tamiya acrylics with their special thinner mixed roughly 50/50 in little plastic dropper bottles, and pretty much never had it clog again.

I’ve been thinking of going back to Tamiya, I’ve got a few in my collection, wouldn’t be hard to switch over, it was very hot today though.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #327 on: February 05, 2023, 07:45:03 AM »
I used to have no problems in a Canberra summer. Qld humidity? I don't know.

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #328 on: February 05, 2023, 07:47:05 AM »
I’ve got the moisture trap in the compressor and a second attached to the brush, so don’t really get any water spitting through. I did have issues before I got the second one.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #329 on: February 05, 2023, 08:39:42 AM »
I’ve got the moisture trap in the compressor and a second attached to the brush, so don’t really get any water spitting through. I did have issues before I got the second one.

Just had the single one at the brush, but Canberra is very dry compared to Qld. Seriously, give the Tamiya a go. I'd be surprised if they weren't significantly better.