Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:37:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691135
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Late Roman skirmish for the shores of the Humber(the first stand anyway)  (Read 5156 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
I decided to do a small force of Late Romans to go with the boats I've promised to do a tutorial on.As it occurred to me that I have no use for them.I also have a dark age farmstead and other bits floating around.So this is likely to turn into a long running project.
I wanted the auxiliary/ light unit to have a simple shield as I could only find one shield design for the region.Which Is for the Brough fort.so I intend on using that for the regular unit.Also I'm aiming for a grubby and tired feel for this unit.
Mark.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 06:30:55 AM by Mad Doc Morris »

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Nice start. Interesting choice of (a local) topic and (multi-period) miniatures. Looking forward to your progress. :)

You may have noticed that quirky things happen to photos directly attached to a post. I changed that for you by uploading the picture to LAF's very own gallery. Hope you don't mind. If you don't store your photos somewhere else online (at Photobucket, Imageshack etc), this is your best option for presenting pics here.

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
They look great  :)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
I like the subdued palette  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Nice figures. :-*
Keep it coming.

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Nice looking models! I'm just a little confused by the colour of the rider's face. Is that a metal mask?

Offline Denouement

• Librarian
Impressed! 8)

Stuart.
Barrowclough; "Have you got any valuables here, Fletch?
Fletcher; "Only what I always keep in my pyjamas"
Blanco; "He could have been after your lemon barley water; "
Fletcher; "What - in my pyjamas? Funny shaped bottle"

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Thank you for changing the image,( finally got my iPad back off my daughter and now have no idea how to use it.I was beginning to wonder if it was something I'd done as this doesn't happen on the android tablet and phone I've been posting on lol)
I've used multi period figures to build the local auxiliary ,because I don't hold with the uniform look,transitioning units have more appeal. From my own experience there is no instant kit change it takes years and often a full generation of soldiering to achieve ,and even more so in irregular and auxiliary units.and add in budget cuts its ,and it's recycle ,make do and mend.
The RAF still had 1908 pattern belts in stores in late '96.is just one example. So I can see no reason why units in a late roman back water,on a major trading route for Germanic nations is going to be poster boy material for the ideal legionary of the Med legions.
The choice of location is simple it's a blind spot in Roman Britian,come south of Scarbrough and the books go blank until well south of the river Humder and towards York.despite thousands of reported private finds being reported ( there is a paper on this which suggests a settlement history for the area based on private finds reported to the local archeology units.)
Which in short means rivet counters are stuck for a basis of an argument (or to put it simply no one can tell me I'm wrong and spoil my fun lol)
Yes the helmet has a face mask just to give a sort of local tribal leader feel to the finished unit.
Mark.

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
I really like those- especially the Draco.  What miniatures range are they, and what's the unit depicted?

Best, Simon

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Seconded for the Draco. I am always looking for inspiration and ideas for them.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Thank you,
This 'command' stand isn't from any one range,it breaks down as follows,
Standard Figure is an s very old Citadel/GW Alan,the Draco is all me.
The figure without trousers is a 1st Corps early roman with up dated clothing and the head is all me.
The trousered figure I don't recall the company as I bought them years ago at York (someone will know when I post pictures of the rest of the unit they have tiny feet though!)heads me.
The dead figure is all me.
The rider started life as a foundry dark age irish leader.head all me ,as is the cape shield ,detailing,etc.The horse had super skinny legs so they needed reworking.

If your after ideas for Draco/standard ,then take a look At 1st corps miniatures,I did a four figure set of a late roman officer defending a wounded draco standard ,from a saxon lord and a fallen saxon.It'll add a little drama to your front rank.
As for the unit it doesn' t have a name,there are two units mentioned for the area but only one is named so for this unit I chose the late roman style of quartering in the colours of the know shield design station at Brough just to give a 'uniformed' theme to the roman force where as the raiding force will have a more random selection of shield designs.just to contrast the two sides.

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
Wow- there's certainly a lot of work in that stand!  No wonder I didn't recognise the minis.  :-)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Just to keep me motivated,here's the inspiration for the table,and to prove that most of what I need is floating around my workshop in various states of repair.
The rear rank are painted to a simpler standard as they are the ones who'll take the most abuse in a game.(pictures to follow when the unit is finished).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 06:45:07 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Nice boats
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Lovely looking ships  8)