Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:52:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Rangers Roughnecks & Wreakers - UD 30/6 Terrain & buildings finished  (Read 20272 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Yep, another project.

Much inspired by Dr De'ath and his excellent Sandport topic and facilitated by Brummies' 15mm resources thread.  Thanks guys  :D

This one is meant to be a quickie and is actually a realisation in 15mm now of a project that I'd originally planned to do in 28mm next year.  

The excellent works mentioned above convinced me that what I wanted could be done with 15mm but also quicker and cheaper, requiring less storage space, less play space and quicker to set up.  I have also set out to achieve the 'game in a box'  as initiated by Dr.The Viking quite some time ago.

Progress so far plus some thoughts and intentions have been written up on my project website, which can be found here:

EDIT: BROKEN LINK

This isn't Star Wars.  I know it'll mark me out as a weirdo but I'm not a Star Wars fan.  What I do like is Aliens, Alien 3, Ghosts of Mars, Outland and similar stuff, which all influence this project, which at it's most basic is conflict on an arid mining planet, involving super-cool Rangers, tough-nosed Roughnecks and raging-cultist Wreakers.  

I've made quick progress with building 6 of 30cm sq tiles, which can be laid out in a variety of configurations, comprising a habitation unit and various hills. At some later stage I will likely add another habitation unit and the mine/quarry.

There are a lot more images on the website but here are a few of the WIP, before I apply the filler etc to the foam and then slap on the various sand and crumbled cork textures:

NB1: The satellite dish and solar panels aren't yet fixed, merely loosely positioned for appearance.

NB2: The roofs lift off the buildings but I'm not planning to fit out the interiors.

With a couple of minis:

More soon.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 10:45:53 AM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: 15mm Rangers Roughnecks & Wreakers (conflict on an arid planet) WIP
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 05:17:50 PM »
Your off to a great start.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 05:23:20 PM »
That's a great start indeed! Where are the doors and the air conditioning units from?

I can send you a few of my doors and windows at shipping cost, if you like! They have not been purchased yet from any company so i'm not bound by any contract!

Cheers,
Jack

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 05:35:07 PM »
Now that is nice! The little settlement is supber, really like it being built up a hill!  :o

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 06:02:53 PM »
Lovely work :-* :-* :-*
Another one joining the 15 mm band wagon :D
Antenocities for the bits and bobs?

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 06:10:34 PM »
Nice start!

I wish I knew where to get all that stuff.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 07:13:23 PM »
That's a great start indeed! Where are the doors and the air conditioning units from?

I can send you a few of my doors and windows at shipping cost, if you like! They have not been purchased yet from any company so i'm not bound by any contract!

Cheers,
Jack

I like those! How big are the smaller doors/panels in the top left? Could they work for 6mm? (I can tell what the scale on the grid is) 15mm looks good too.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 07:19:20 PM »
Yep, another project.

Much inspired by Dr De'ath and his excellent Sandport topic and facilitated by Brummies' 15mm resources thread.  Thanks guys  :D

This one is meant to be a quickie and is actually a realisation in 15mm now of a project that I'd originally planned to do in 28mm next year.  

The excellent works mentioned above convinced me that what I wanted could be done with 15mm but also quicker and cheaper, requiring less storage space, less play space and quicker to set up.  I have also set out to achieve the 'game in a box'  as initiated by Dr.The Viking quite some time ago.

Progress so far plus some thoughts and intentions have been written up on my project website, which can be found here:

http://www.silentinvader.uk/index_w_rrw_index.html

This isn't Star Wars.  I know it'll mark me out as a weirdo but I'm not a Star Wars fan.  What I do like is Aliens, Alien 3, Ghosts of Mars, Outland and similar stuff, which all influence this project, which at it's most basic is conflict on an arid mining planet, involving super-cool Rangers, tough-nosed Roughnecks and raging-cultist Wreakers.  

I've made quick progress with building 6 of 30cm sq tiles, which can be laid out in a variety of configurations, comprising a habitation unit and various hills. At some later stage I will likely add another habitation unit and the mine/quarry.

There are a lot more images on the website but here are a few of the WIP, before I apply the filler etc to the foam and then slap on the various sand and crumbled cork textures:

NB1: The satellite dish and solar panels aren't yet fixed, merely loosely positioned for appearance.

NB2: The roofs lift off the buildings but I'm not planning to fit out the interiors.

With a couple of minis:

More soon.

Great project. Looking forward to seeing more.

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 07:22:10 PM »
Great introduction to the project SI. Will be following this with interest.  :D
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 07:32:13 PM »
Thanks chaps.  :)

It's a hot planet. this one, thus the buildings cut into the lee of the hill for shade.  The minis will also be wearing mask headgear to keep the dust out of their lungs, so no 15mm faces to paint!!  ;) :)

All the resin bits are from Antenociti and can be found in the Governance of Technology section of their website.  The doors (and solar panels) are in 2mm lasered MDF by Mad Mecha Guy.  The small storage tanks are connectors for DIY plastic overflow pipe, and they are a perfect size for the Antenociti fans (from which I'd scraped off the hinge unit).

Thanks Jack, that's a really kind offer and I really like all of what you make   :D  Unfortunately though, I've only got a couple of buildings left to do and I want to keep the parts consistent between them so it wouldn't be right for me to take up your offer.  I do hope you sell them soon as if I'd known about them before starting the build they'd have been perfect.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 07:47:32 PM »
Are you sure, Mr M, this isn't just a displacement activity to put off painting that huge pile of lovely 28mm WW1 miniatures you have waiting for you... ?  :D

;)

Great work as usual, of course  :) 

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 07:55:25 PM »
Are you sure, Mr M, this isn't just a displacement activity to put off painting that huge pile of lovely 28mm WW1 miniatures you have waiting for you... ?  :D

;)

Darn..... I am revealed!!!!    lol

I have resolved that my mini painting mojo will be in full swing by mid-July and that all 120 of the WW1 minis will be painted by end of August.   ;)

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 09:14:28 PM »
Darn..... I am revealed!!!!    lol

I have resolved that my mini painting mojo will be in full swing by mid-July and that all 120 of the WW1 minis will be painted by end of August.   ;)

And Santa and the Easter Bunny paid down their mortgage, had loads of offspring and lived happily forever after.  :-X lol

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 10:09:25 PM »
Impressive start to the project - really like the buildings set into the rocks - may steal/borrow that for bits of my SandPort stuff.

Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 10:15:57 PM »
That is a great 'look' that you have chosen, with the usual rapid start.
Gonna be another good 'un, I reckon.
 :-* :-*