Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:46:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691091
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Janus project: Vanvlak's 4' x 4' board  (Read 2054 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Janus project: Vanvlak's 4' x 4' board
« on: June 20, 2015, 08:10:45 PM »
I'd been agonising over this for over a year, and now the LPL 9 is (almost) over and my career has taken a new turn, I went for it.

I'd been eying 3D aquarium backdrops as potential gaming surfaceever since I first saw one in use (in its proper use, that is).
I had hesitated because of
(i) the cost
(ii) the irregularity of the surface, which could make balancing models difficult.

I finally caved in, and instead of ruminating any further bought one, somewhat guiltily. The best I could find were reasonably flat and of size 600x550 mm - near enough to 2'x2'.

Here is the product I chose:

And here is the unmodified surface with some of my A.I.M.L.E.S.S. forces taking on a Red Crabstick, as a dilophosaurus watches open-mouthed (from too close, if I'm any judge....)

I have to paint it now - I am tempted by a sand colour with grass in the crevaces, but another project I am having fun with needs a black and lava surface.....

My guilt evaporated slightly when I turned the board over:

Apart from the logo area, the remainder of the surface has the tile pattern, and each tile is 1" x 1" - fitting in beautifully with Deadzone buildings, useful for measurements for Space Hulk type games, and presenting an interesting surface in any case. This meant I have a double-sided board! The logo can be carved away or covered of course.

I do have one problem, which may be obvious: the rocky size is uneven, so the tile-side up board is clumsily inclined and unstable. But i have a cunning plan  >:D

As for my guilt - it's back. I bought another 3 boards this morning, and now have an almost 4'x 4' surface.
It would be nice to havetwo sets:
set 1 - black/lave rock against black/grey tiling
set 2 - sand/green flock against Frostgrave snow
Or an 8' x 4'.../

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Janus project: Vanvlak's 4' x 4' board
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 05:22:28 PM »
An as yet to be painted example of use of the reverse side for Deadzone and sci fi games.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 09:57:39 AM »
Interesting stuff.

Can you tell us how much one of those tiles actually costs? And is there only one pattern, or are there more? And do the sides match up?

Also; can you please give us a larger shot of the rocky surface?
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 10:49:11 AM »
Ohh I have had those boards in my hands soo many times in my local petshop. But I have (until now) managed to control the urge to buy them.

I am looking forward to seeing this with some paint on. Although I fear it might break my resolve and make me rush out and get some for myself.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 01:11:59 PM »
Interesting idea, I'm curious to see how you'll work it out so the opposite side lays flat.  ???

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 05:09:31 PM »
Interesting stuff.

Can you tell us how much one of those tiles actually costs? And is there only one pattern, or are there more? And do the sides match up?

Also; can you please give us a larger shot of the rocky surface?

These particular ones are not cheap - but the cheapest I found here! 56Euros each (ouch....). The double-sided use makes them more worth-while.
There are other patterns, although those I saw from this brand were quite similar. They do match up quite well.
Larger shot - will try to take one later today.

Ohh I have had those boards in my hands soo many times in my local petshop. But I have (until now) managed to control the urge to buy them.

I am looking forward to seeing this with some paint on. Although I fear it might break my resolve and make me rush out and get some for myself.
They're erxpensive, but nice.

Interesting idea, I'm curious to see how you'll work it out so the opposite side lays flat.  ???
Actually I might not bother - after resolving to drill 4 c. 6mm holes for pins to be used as supports on the obverse, with plugs to hide the holes or scenery covering them, I realised that although irregular they are quite stable when inverted, and I might end up not bothering at all.