Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:31:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Apache! :: UD 23/10 - starting on the mounted alternates  (Read 33916 times)

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Re: Apache Rising: ud 16/8 Mike Owen question
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2015, 11:51:44 PM »
Late in this topic but here are some ideas/movies:

First Old Glory has some apaches both mounted and dismounted more compatible with foundry ones.

Movies to watch and i forgot many on the subject:

Geronimo - an american legend (1993)
Geronimo - another 1993 film with apaches fighting mexicans (1830īs, 40īs)
Taza Son of Cochise
Rio Conchos
Buffallo soldiers - both versions of 1970īs and i think 2000īs
Broken arrow - how can it be possible no one mentioned this before? :o
Arrowhead - Jack Palance and Charlton Heston

For inspirational painting about apaches search for David Nordalīs paintings and also Frank Mccarthy. Lots of ideas.

Hope its usefull.

Rui

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Apache! :: ud 16/8 Mike Owen question
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2015, 01:26:05 AM »
Thanks Rui - Really useful info that is much appreciated. 8) The list of movies is especially helpful.  :)

Another more general question: does anyone sell packs of 'Wild West' weapons? Cheers.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2015, 05:12:39 PM »
Been thinking some more, you need a covered wagon. :D

The Apache need to have something to shoot at and the settelers need some transport to get from their homestead to the fort. ;)

Which means you'll need a homestead and a fort  lol
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2015, 05:48:41 PM »
I want to keep to a 5x2 or 3x3 board so no room for a fort but a homestead and a covered wagon are definitely on the list.

:D

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2015, 07:15:12 PM »
I believe that Ral Partha or now Iron Wind Metals, has a weapons sprue with a lever rifle, shotgun, and some pistols, a cattle skull, and an anvil on a stump.  They also sell some buffalo too I think.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Apache! :: Nailing down the minis
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2015, 08:44:59 AM »
Thanks Darkoath, much appreciated, that's a nice sprue. Looking into it a bit more, there's some suggestion that it's 'heroic' scaled, which if correct is a real shame.  :'(

On the plus side, having been prompted I recalled that about 6 years ago I bought 5 of the Conquest Old West Sprues and a rummage through the spare parts bins revealed I still have 5 Winchesters and 4 other percussion carbines.

Rather handily, Nick (Malamute) has solved my wagon driver dilemma by pointing out the Northstar Africa Boer wagon driver, who is also used as the Dead Mans Hand Old West wagon driver. He comes with a walking assistant and with some judicious converting I reckon I can making sitting and standing versions of both figures, with the assistant gaining a few more clothes and swapping his whip for a shotgun.

http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=4592

Picture from Northstar:

For a wagon, I expect that I'll go for the laser-etched model by 4ground, converting a second into a crashed/overturned version.

http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=4220

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2015, 09:18:14 AM »

On the plus side, having been prompted I recalled that about 6 years ago I bought 5 of the Conquest Old West Sprues and a rummage through the spare parts bins revealed I still have 5 Winchesters and 4 other percussion carbines.

I think I have some of those kicking around somewhere left over from when I picked up the Comanche. You can have whatever you need from them, I am sure there are some revolvers as well as the rifles. :)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2015, 09:48:22 AM »
Ooooh yes please! PM incoming  :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2015, 10:51:34 AM »
I think I have some of those kicking around somewhere left over from when I picked up the Comanche. You can have whatever you need from them, I am sure there are some revolvers as well as the rifles. :)

I can sort you out with a couple of shotguns and a wagon driver if you need one....?

This one looks fairly similar to the one you posted...

Let me know, mate....
 ;)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2015, 11:06:44 AM »
Thanks Paul but he and his pard'ner are already ordered. Shotguns I'm ok for as I have the Miniature Mojo ones but thanks again for the offer.  :)

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2015, 12:21:16 PM »
Great stuff SI  8)

Another one to watch (didn't spot it in the lists) "The Missing" 2003 with Tommy Lee Jones.  :)

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2015, 01:15:44 PM »
Thanks Lance, and yes a great movie!  I shall collate them all together into a single list at some point.

Btw - your Apache pack is on the list to go with the Artizans. Very nice.  8)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2015, 03:27:30 PM »
WANTED!!

I'm after two copies of a single figure from the Dead Mans Hand pack of Citizens:

http://www.greatescapegames.co.uk/deadmanshand/dmhminiatures/dead-mans-hand-citizens.html

Specifically, two copies (yes, two!) of the lady with the pistol

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:05:05 AM by Silent Invader »

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2015, 10:26:29 AM »
Hmmm quick change of plan. The Deadwood Trixie from Dead Mans Hand is no longer wanted as it suddenly occurred to me that there was another mini that could make a great Jane Russell lookey-likey, similar to as she appeared in The Outlaw.

Obviously, all homesteader women wore off-the-shoulder blouses and had magnificent cleavages. Right?

From the Hasslefree Website: The Strumpet:

http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=strumpet~hfv003&category=miniatures~fantasy-humans~fantasy-%26%0D%0Asteampunk~fantasy-villagers

A great Kev White sculpt that I've used before. This time I think I'll touch in the clothes with green stuff and add a pistol to the right hand.

Much like the Artizan Apache, I'll do two copies, one on foot and the other mounted, using the Conquest (UK) plastic horses. A bit like this early WIP I started on last night:

By-the-by I also started on the Artizan Pony Express Rider (a possible suitor for Miss Jane), who came with a horse but whom I'm also switching to the Conquest plastics for a matching riderless mount. He'll actually play the role of a young and enthusiastic Texas Ranger and so I made a few other changes. The foot mini had his tiny revolver swapped out for one of the meatier Conquest (USA) versions plus a Winchester added across his knee. The mounted mini had the right hand modified and rotated with a Winchester inserted to replace the whip/strap/thong that he'd previously been wielding.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2015, 10:46:12 AM »
So the Winter project has started in July...S.I. unless you have moved to the south of the equator its most definitely the summertime now....

:D