Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:25:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gamma World - Where do you stand?  (Read 11767 times)

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
Re: Gamma World - Where do you stand?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 05:23:56 AM »
yes it totally kicked some serious 'A' that cover. That being said I have a massive massive soft spot for Elmore's artwork. To me his artwork is all tied to my early RPG gaming memories so there is a big nostalgia thing going down.

I only like the cover of Star Frontiers from Elmore. Can't stand the rest. Erol Otus and Bill Willingham nail it for me.

Scurv have you done any Gamma World-esque PA skirmish gaming?
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 12:35:59 PM »
I'm not much on the Elmore cover. Though this could largely be due to memories alone, I far prefer the original illustration (not sure who did it) of the men approaching the ruined city.

Of course, anything by Erol Otus is also top notch!

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 01:30:30 PM »
For most of us Swedes, Gammaworld is the predecessor for the game known as Mutant. Which later evolved to Mutant Chronicles (that was shitty to be honest). The license have recently been reworked and released in english under the title Mutant: Year Zero. It still has it's amount of anthromorphs, post-apocalyptic feel, and evil rabbits...

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 01:43:50 PM »
Worth noting gamma world is a rehash of TSR's metamorphosis alpha. The background was taken off the lost generation ship and put on a PA earth as M.A. campaigns generally followed the same path of the players discovering it was a generation ship and acting accordingly etc etc.

One upside gamma world does have with PA gaming is it light hearted stuff. As mentioned its perfect for all those saturday morning cartoon style genres and far less depressing than gaming something more akin to the road like the aussie PA game of the same era, Aftermath.

Gosh that cover brings back memories - I still recall the intro piece in rules...

Just the other day I was flicking through my old White Dwarfs and read up the review for M. Alpha  - so long ago...

Still have Aftermath - one of the best RPG's ever - Matakishi's campaigns were something special ! I reckon that was 25- 30 years ago !!

Thanks for posting

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 10:09:02 PM »
Still run it. Of course I messed around with the rules (doubled damage on regular weapons- you shouldn't be able to take a dozen crossbow bolts and walk away) and the setting (Dropped strange radiation for strange nano-tech).

Offline Corporal Chaos

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 11:08:30 PM »
Gamma World is one of my all time favorite settings. It has been many years since I played and still want to do something with it. I have never considered it as a skirmish but reading through this thread it may just manifest into a place for me to exercise some creativity and lure some of my friends into the PA world of GAMMA WORLD. The gears are turning.....
I should be painting right now.

Offline Kamandi

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 02:58:15 AM »
Still love GW and Metamorphosis Alpha. I reminds me of home  ;)
"Something had happened in the dim past...! A natural disaster coupled with Radiation! The people in the bunkers lived out their lives and died dreaming of a day of return---The radiation would be gone---and the world would be left waiting---"

Offline BlackWidowPilot

• Scientist
  • "Mwahahahahaahaaaaaa!!!"
    • "It's Them! Blast 'Em!"
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 05:36:01 AM »

Excuse me, but how the Hell did you get that group shot of my former co-workers from back in the day when I worked private security at a shopping center...?! lol

I do miss Gamma World, and regret that I ever sold off my original 70s vintage rules set and figures.... :'(
Leland R. Erickson
Metal Express
www.silent-death.mx

\\\\\\\"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!\\\\\\\" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Offline kenohhkc

• Scientist
  • I Can't Help Myself
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 03:12:36 PM »
We play Mutant Future, retroclone version of GAmma World.

The 2nd Edition was my introduction to the idea of a PA. I loved it. Still have all of my stuff.

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 01:10:37 AM »
I recently garage-sale shopped a $15  used box set of the "4th Ed: version of Gamma World.

The box I bought had stuff (books counters an some cards and maps) from two expansions, Famine in Far-Go and Legion of Gold. Might be complete given how nicely all the pog-style counters were arranged.

Anyway this was a weird 'off the beaten path' version of the game where players got new disposable super powers each encounter in the form of mutation cards. Loot was also card based. I think the idea was that you could borrow superpowers of alternate universe versions of yourself in nearby universes. None of the powers you could get seemed to be traps, curses, or pranks. They work like finding potions or scrolls, so you gain new temporary enhanced mobility options, armor, a distance weapon, enhanced perception roles, or stuff like that. Some of them are over the top wacky though, like you get robotic-treads for feet, or become made of bees for one encounter. It's not about consistency or subtlety.

Apparently WoTC intended to sell booster packs of what should have been a loot/power table and there don't seem to be many booster packs around so it may well have worked! Amazon has booster packs with 8 cards (blind packed of course) for $6 which is an order of magnitude more than I'd want to pay.

Still the ideas were weird enough to be momentarily engaging on top of the old "I have a fox head, and a robot arm, and I can see radiation" foundation of previous versions of the game.

I would not mind a cleaned up -no cards- compendium of this edition.

Offline Kamandi

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2015, 02:46:26 AM »
That's actually Gamma World 7th edition from 2010 based on D&D 4th edition.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2015, 09:14:38 AM »
We play Mutant Future, retroclone version of GAmma World.

The 2nd Edition was my introduction to the idea of a PA. I loved it. Still have all of my stuff.

I've also got this. Never played it but I've had loads if fun messing with the character creation!

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2015, 04:52:56 PM »
I see a lot of Mad Max & Fallout threads, and was just curious where you guys stand on something more Sci-Fantasy PA like Gamma World?
I like to stand on Rogue Planet. 8)

'HAVOC... it's okay to wreak a little!'    <a href="http://www.bombshell-games.com/>bombshell games[/url]

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2015, 12:08:17 PM »
Partly inspired by this thread, I went and bought a copy of Mutant Futures by Goblinoid Games. It should come any day, and I'm excited to see it. Now if I can just find some of those old GW adventures for further inspiration; I have very fond memories of Legions of Gold, and Famine in Far-Go looks interesting (how could mutated chickens in a nuclear meat-packing plant not be?).

Offline Terence Gunn

• Schoolboy
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2016, 05:12:02 AM »
I have fond memories of Game Mastering Gamma World scenarios between 1979 and 1982. My imagination really ran wild – far more than with AD&D, which I also played at the time, in addition to numerous other RPGs I owned and tried out. I remember one of my favourite Gamma World scenarios included (for the players) an underground base with computers, generators, and other forms of ‘lost’ technology, inhabited, maintained, and controlled by Hoops, that was accessible only via cleverly disguised lift shafts within giant red wood (Sequoia) trees. The course of action was (for the players) to find these entry points and explore and learn about these underground, self-sustaining technological labyrinths.

I actually prefer the original Gamma World rules and system to the subsequent ones: keep the foundation simple and leave the rest to the imagination.