Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:12:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: thoughts about my will-be-warband  (Read 17393 times)

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
Re: thoughts about my will-be-warband
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 06:33:36 AM »
Ended my first expedition into Felstad.
Could grab one treasure (nearly a second, we played six rounds), two of my Thugs and my Wizard survived, but an arrangement for a new Apprentice should be made. He died bravely though, defending the left flank vs two summoned Imps.
Somehow I am sure, his last thoughts were "why why why didn' I take the blue pill??"*

IceToads are killers. Slowly, oh so slowly, but if they get close and dice fairly ... one of my thugs was swallowed hole ... 47 damage, AFTER substracting armour. Maybe he is was still allive in there, dunno, if I acted quicker •_O
But my other Thug killed him, slit him open with two strokes, and found just a ... well, you do not want to know.

Fazit
quite an exiting game until end of round four, when I thought it was decided by means of a single-game. Mechanics are fairly easy as said already, combos of spells are crucial and worth puzzling over.
Troup combination seems to be important, but not as much as spells, which I think quite fitting.
So far, definitely worth playing on, lots of thoughs to mumble over.

Hint for everyone
Do not let your spellcasters get into close combat. It is not their job. Use Your Thugs, Idiot!  ;D

best wishes
DK

* means: Health ^^
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 06:48:15 PM »
Thanks to LAM my minis arrived today and jumped right on their bases.

I also just made some treasure markers. Since I did not know from what to make them I made them out of bitz I did not know what to make with them.  :D

So, hopefully I will do some painting this weekend, tgif, so at least some priming maybe even today.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2015, 01:07:57 PM »
muahaha ... pix or it didn't happen.  :D

So ... what do you need for a good story in tabletopland? Right - Bitz and stuff. A while ago I was thinking about what to use fpr Frostgrave, so I throw all the candidates on the table, to see what would spark me.

Well, over the years bitz tend to collect themselves, somehow - nothing new here, I guess - but as said above, "not knowing" twice might make some fine treasure-markers, so I came up with the these. And what do ya know? Some pillagers sneaking in from the left already.  :o

Well then, since that's settled, I turned to the minis and did a little more basing ...

... and priming

What I did, too, was doing these. Actually out of pure frustration, cause three days waiting for the LAM-minis seems quite too long, obviously. I think, they will do nicely as adversaries or more thugs or thiefs or ... well, I'll find some suitable task.

so far - best wishes
DK

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2015, 12:04:41 PM »
did some snowing ... like "Frau Holle" ^^

My first markers as testers for my snow-bases

hope You like it ... I do ... as a first shot anyway.

best wishes
DK

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 12:31:35 AM »
That snow has a very nice effect. What did you use, please?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 05:52:13 AM »
Thanks for Your interest in this and Your comment.

This snow I got for quite some years now. Think I bought it at GWs. But since I filled it into some other jar, I am not 100% certain of this.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2015, 01:30:52 PM »
finished my first ... ah, well ... members ... of my warband ... obviously some magical hounds, one is the assistant warhound, the other the boss warhound  ;D

hope You like it. Depending on temperature in Southern Germany I will paint or reconsider my spells or both or nothing.

Offline imurdentist

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2015, 04:50:38 PM »
Nice collection you got there! Love your snow, mind sharing your recipe?
Btw, where in southern germany are you? I'm from Friedrichshafen, Lake Constance...

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2015, 07:16:37 PM »
Thanks a lot for the kind words. Bin aus Stuttgart, quasi. Spreche aber fliessend hochdeutsch. :D

@ snow
actually nothing magical there. I used snowlitter from - I think - GW, have it for quite some time now, never used it. I put some very fine sand beneath it, coloured white.

The stones I brushed a bit with pure white as a finish to give them some frosty look. Like mini ice crystals. I want to have some bases like ice sheet but some like sandstone as well.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2015, 10:38:16 AM »
Meanwhile my long wished for "MainWizzard" came, meaning this one
http://cadwallon.com/misan-the-clairvoyant.html

No, I think I can start in earnest. Haven't done some painting for quite a while.

Offline Awesome Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2015, 04:16:18 PM »
Heh, damn, I was looking at that create scroll thing as a way to summon in Major Demons without any of the hassle. :)

Just so you know, Scrolls work at the casting difficutly.

So when you use a scroll to summon a demon you always get an Imp. What you get is determined by how much you beat the casting number.

A scroll of create construct allows you to get a construct of any size because the size of the construct changes the casting number itself.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2015, 11:39:47 PM »
juicing up a new gang. A quick one, according to some modells I put together.

2 rangers, move 7
3 thiefs, move 7
1 dog handler, move 6 (that model is just not a thief, but a perfect dog handler ^^)
2 staghounds, or something like it, move 8

While the ranger will move quickly, shooting on everything what cannot be stopped by the hounds, the thieves will grab whatever is not up the trees by the count of three.
Thinking now, what sort of wizard will acompany them. Either even more quick-ness or a little punch.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2015, 10:33:41 AM »
Just to let You know, that I realized something.

I am a genius. Really, mean it. Genius. Pure. And humble as I am modest.

Recently I read about using chess-pieces as Frostgrave statues. Thought it genius. Unexperienced and young as I was in those days.
Scanning through my recources - as well as being influenced by all this year's-end-cleaning-talk and getting rid of miniature piles - I got an enlightenment (as said, maybe because I deserved it, due to my modesty):

so ... why not using all these miniatures, which just lack this extra bit of coolness keeping me from actually painting them??  ;D

I needed five minutes to ease my breathing.

:D

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2016, 05:57:34 PM »
So, why does a young fellow like you likes to join a hunt for boars, and why the hell here of all places?
But, ok my young lad, I will tell you something about the boars of Frostgrave.

Boars are in general no easy prey to begin with. Aggressive, stubborn, evil minded creatures even when living in ordinary environments. But centuries of living near magical artefacts had changed their behaviour behond comprehension.

Since the rumour got out of Frostgrave that a roasted boar does make a good dinner, everyone stupid enough to believe it, wanted to have their share. And they often get, but on a somewhat wrong end of the hunt.

To roast a boar, you first need one. But that is not the problem, you do not need to search, they'll find You! And that is a problem. Even ordinary boars are not shy of eating meat, if they get an unlucky chicken, puppy or the like.
But the boars of Frostgrave? They do hunt. Well, don't look at me, no grass, not much of earth to dig for truffels, not much of any plant to eat at all. What did you expect?
And they are cunning, too.
It is not unheard of big-game hunters from the dark continent to test their wits against the boars of Frostgrave. Many fail and I am not sure which side scores more.

And if all this is still not scaring you off, then there is this one boar, white as snow and twice as sinister. Whatever I told you about the cunningness and evilness of these other boars, double, no tripple it, and they still don't reach it.

In some clear nights you may hear its breathing from a mile away. Trust me, better run then and there.
Some say, this white boar - did I tell its name? Moby Dick it is was named by I do not know who long time ago, but where was I? Yes, some say it is not a boar, but a demon in the wrong body. But if form and shape of a boar of Frostgrave do not befit a Demon, than I do not know what creature does.
So, still interested?

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2016, 11:02:01 PM »
Sweet looking treasures, sweet snow effect, and lovely paint jobs already! Keep up!