Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 11:43:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694536
  • Total Topics: 118614
  • Online Today: 644
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Arthurian Saga. Anyone know if it's planned?  (Read 7146 times)

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
Arthurian Saga. Anyone know if it's planned?
« on: August 03, 2015, 07:47:34 PM »
Title says it all really, has anyone heard if a supplement is planned or possibly in the making as I type?

thanks Marc.

Online v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
Re: Arthurian Saga. Anyone know if it's planned?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 07:49:28 PM »
I know people keep mentioning it as something 'potentially in the works', but I have no idea if/as/when it will turn up... lol
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 08:57:11 PM »
It's planned. I heard so straight from Gripping Beast at one point but was told there were "a few other things planned first."

That was before Crescent and Cross came out, so cross (heh) one of those things off. Couldn't really say when it will be. Might be a few years; might be earlier.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 09:28:29 PM »
As a late entrant to Saga, I've been building early Saxon and Arthurian forces, on the basis that Studio Tomahawk / Gripping Beast had said that an Arthurian era supplement was definitely in the pipeline.
That was two years ago.
So I wouldn't hold your breath (luckily I paint slowly!)

I sense the Saga bubble has deflated a wee bit over the past year. Go back a couple of years and it was ubiquitous and getting the kind of massive attention that Frostgrave is getting right now. But you know the world of wargaming... The next big thing tends to kill off the previous big thing, and the bandwagon rolls onto something else...

But I hope they will produce some Arthurian era army boards in due course. I have seen a few homemade / buckshee attempts, mainly involving adapting the Welsh / Strathclyde for the Arthurians, and the Danes or Saxons for the Germanic immigrant waves. But 'proper' ones would be good. Here's hoping...  :)

By the time they do produce them, I might even have finished painting my two armies...  :D

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 10:36:54 PM »
Hell of a shame if they don't release it. It's been a year since Crescent and Cross came out, so I was hoping to hear something else was now in development for maybe a release at Christmas or the first half of next year. I had my fingers crossed Arthurian was next on the list.

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 10:59:13 PM »
I've messaged GB and put the question to them, if they respond I shall let you guys know.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 11:39:55 PM »
I know it's not Saga, but one can have a pretty darned fine Arthurian/Fall of the Western Roman Empire large scale skirmish type game using Osprey's Lion Rampant and the adaptations written by the author in a recent Wargames Illustrated article. I played it a couple of weeks ago and it was great fun!  :D

But yes, I agree...proper Saga Arthurians would be fun.

Offline jauntyharrison

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 11:49:34 PM »
Out of interest, does anyone remember how long an interval passed between the release of the old SAGA corebook, and the supplements like Raven Shadow or Northern Fury?  That might give us a bit of an impression of the timeline in which we can expect supplements after Crescent and Cross.

My impression is that SAGA has slowed down to a crawl because of the mammoth task of releasing miniatures for all of the options in  C&C. Gripping Beast has only recently managed to get the last of the 6 Crescent and Cross warbands, and they still have a lot of Heroes and Dogs of War yet to go. I also remember some mention that the job of writing SAGA sourcebooks is changing hands within the Studio Tomahawk crew. Personally I really hope there's another little sourcebook in the works soon. I think Crescent & Cross plays fantastic as written, but a shiny new book and a little bit of "we're still here" visibility would make it easier to generate enthusiasm at your FLGS. Heavens, I wish tabletop games werent such a publish-or-perish affair.

Offline Carpathian

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 12:44:33 AM »
Studio Tomahawk seems to be occupied with a new game this year, "Congo".   How that impacts SAGA, who can say...

http://blog.studio-tomahawk.com/2015/03/congo_31.html

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 01:32:01 AM »
SAGA was intended to be an Arthurian game, but I think they (correctly) got the idea that Vikings would get more interest.

I'm waiting too, fully painted! I'll also agree w Andy that the DA Lion Rampant game supplement is excellent and fun.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 07:26:29 AM »
I'm quite sure that it will be a a patience game with letting The Crescent and the Cross run it's course as it wouldn't make commercial sense to release too may eras at one time.

With their superb collection of Arthurian mini's I cannot see GB missing the boat, though I haven't heard this from the Lion's (nice word for Darren  ;) ) mouth! :)

Darrell.

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 09:28:27 AM »
It's a natural progression for SAGA to go Arthurian and probably Samurai as well so I'd expect see these at some point. Until then it's easy to use the current battle-boards and adapt them to whatever you want like Captain Blood mentioned.

Christopher

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 11:56:44 AM »
I've had a reply from GB: 'Work is well underway BUT we won't be releasing it until next year.......'

GREAT news! I'm happy enough to wait as it allows me time to paint up some warband's.

Maybe it'll be their big release for Salute next year! That's me just guessing/hoping though.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 08:17:27 PM »
I sense the Saga bubble has deflated a wee bit over the past year. Go back a couple of years and it was ubiquitous and getting the kind of massive attention that Frostgrave is getting right now. But you know the world of wargaming... The next big thing tends to kill off the previous big thing, and the bandwagon rolls onto something else...
Not so negative, my Captain. I think in our hobby is enough space for a lot of rules. I think the guys from tomahawk are working hard on "congo" in the moment and after this there will be time for new work. Our hobby is still a hobby and not a big company - sadly some times. So I think it will come
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 06:28:25 AM »
I'm not that into Saga, i prefer Dux Brittanium but it's fantastic that GB will be doing this.

There are bound to be some excellent 'Arthurian' new releases to go with the sets so it's got me all excited!!

Darrell.