Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:08:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Japanese Self Defence Forces in the late 1950s?  (Read 1967 times)

Offline Captain Gamma

• Mad Scientist
    • https://killerbgames.co.uk/
Japanese Self Defence Forces in the late 1950s?
« on: August 08, 2015, 07:39:21 PM »
Hello all,
can anyone help me with information on the Japanese military in the late 1950's ? I'm after photos and information on uniforms and equipment. I imagine after WW2 they were equipped with mainly U.S. stuff but I'm wondering if there is anything to make them stand out from basic miniature U.S. troops.

Thanks in advance guys.
"Morning!"

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Japanese Self Defence Forces in the late 1950s?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 06:39:16 AM »
I suppose that depends on what you mean by basic miniature US troops.  The JSDF was equipped by the US and their uniforms were very similar to contemporary US patterns in that they used copies of the M-1943 and OG-107 uniforms with black combat boots. Small arms were from the same source, so M-1 rifles M-2 carbines, M-3 SMGs etc.

Trouble is hardly anyone produces suitable troops in M-1943 kit and to the best of my knowledge nobody produces anything wearing the OG-107 pattern uniform.

Wargames Factory 's WW2 US Army are wearing the M-1943 field jacket. Unfortunately they are also wearing gaiters and shoes. If you have the patience to carve/file back the gaiters and build up the trouser bottoms they would work at least for cold weather scenarios. They are quite tall figures though so might look odd if you intend mixing them with US types. For facing Godzilla they'd do the trick. 

For warmer weather the closest thing I can think of would be Commando Miniatures Indonesians, the ones armed with US weapons obviously enough. They all have rolled sleeves which seems atypical for the JSDF but beggars can't be choosers in this scale.

Here's another good reason someone really should do an appropriately scaled range of 28mm early- mid war ARVN with Garands, carbines and BARs.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Captain Gamma

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 01:37:11 PM »
Cheers Carlos, my 50's/60's U.S. troops (As discussed in another thread) are wearing OG-107 uniform so I wanted the JSDF to have a different look to them, so do you reckon M-1943 jackets, boots without the gaiters and armed with M1 rifles/M-2 carbines and M-3 SMGs?

Would it be the WW2 webbing? and I've noticed a smart neck scarf being worn by JSDF troops in some photos do you know if this was part of the basic uniform?.   

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 09:46:28 PM »
Photos I've seen show US WW2 pattern webbing. I'd suggest scarves would be a parade affectation rather than standard kit. Of course the thing that would stand out would be they would be considerably shorter than the average US infantryman.

If you are commissioning a range then keeping them in basic OG 107, combat boots and WW2 small arms and on the small side would give you good crossover potential. ARVN, Indonesians, Koreans, any number of Latin American Armies, etc, etc.

Offline Captain Gamma

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 10:02:42 PM »
That IS a good point. I hadn't thought of the ARVN. Thanks Carlos. Once again you're a hive of info.