Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:58:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Yet Another Frostgrave Blog.  (Read 2836 times)

Offline drfunk

• Student
Yet Another Frostgrave Blog.
« on: August 09, 2015, 01:23:57 AM »
I preordered Frostgrave after having seen it at Salute, and with the urging of friends we've had a few test games and will soon be starting a full campaign now that we've had a test game each to see how it plays, which i'll be posting things for here! (Aren't you all such lucky people to have more wizardy content  :D )

Our group consists of a Summoner, a Sigilist, a Necromancer and a Thaumaturge. Warbands are nearly done, and we've been building up some new terrain that'll be on show too just for this (thus that rather nature-ish city look, clearly some sort of wizard national park.

Offline drfunk

• Student
Re: Yet Another Frostgrave Blog.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 12:09:37 PM »
Some of the terrain we have in progress, with hopefully 2 more of the larger buildings left to go.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 12:18:01 PM »
Wizard's Yellowstone ... liked that one  lol

Wonderful terrain pieces, more of the outscirts of the city, but quite cool, as well. Like to see them painted, now. And soon, please. ;)
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline drfunk

• Student
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 12:22:03 AM »
A first groupshot of our 4 Warbands for Frostgrave! A Necromancer, Sigilist, Summoner and Thaumaturge. I’ll be uploading some photos from the two games we did today (Necro vs Sigilist and Summoner vs Thaumaturge). The Summoner and Cleric ended up with a bit of a glut on Gold, while the Necro and Sigilist pulled ahead on levels but mostly won pocket change. I even got my Summoner a nice new Staff of Power (2) ! (The cleric found some Summoning Candles to help call in Angelic help, and the Necro found a magic bow).

Necromancer

Sigilist

Summoner (I left my actual Man-at-arms at home! The one in the picture is a stand in kindly donated)

Thaumaturge
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 12:27:35 AM by drfunk »

Offline drfunk

• Student
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 12:35:38 AM »
Game 1, Summoner vs Thaumaturge.

The table was split into two main zones, though really the main street saw most of the action (the other area ended up with two tokens that my Man at Arms and a thug snuck over to grab)

The good Cleric and his crossbow wielding buddy take cover in that store front just to have Tim the Great and Powerful conjure up a rogue Imp right behind them (another was conjured while they tried to make their escape towards the end. Needles to say, rogue Imp's are a lot of fun to force on other people! )

The apprentice summoner and her men take cover! Or rather, she does. The crossbowman in the store got off a lucky shot and hit her for a full 9 damage! She was then knocked out soon after, she didn't really accomplish much.

Piggly picks a fight with the Clerics little helper!

A thug punches above his weight in fighting an enemy MaA, and promptly suffers for it.

Then the same MaA is very absent from this shot having eaten Tim's Elemental Bolt to the face.

The results ended up being 3 Tokens to 2 in Tim the Summoners favor, with both having an injured soldier next game!

Offline drfunk

• Student
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 12:51:16 AM »
And the second game of the day, Necromancer vs Sigilist.

The board was split between a magical corner shop, a crumbled manor with a camp pitched and a town gallows (which may or may not have been originally in the city. My moneys on not.)

This little corner of the baggage pile (the token) would see a...scary amount of action all game, going from soldiers fighting the Necro, to a giant eagle fighting a bear. Crazy, but it was a veritable fight club on its own.

Zombies get into a fight with a very heroic monkey, who became the only permanent casualty. Oh no!

Some poor soul getting swarmed by four rats. Or, "rats" rather. Ratmen ? Turns out they weren't too scary as he beat one to death a turn.

And the other side of the action, the house front facing the store. The Sigilist teleported to the store roof to rain down grenades on the graverobbers making their way across before fleeing with a treasure of his own (and later on the two apprentices began their own magical duel in the middle of the street). The soldiers you see we're a bit stuck behind a Wall conjured by the necromancer (the piece of paper as we didn't have one prepared, oops). The wall eventually came down, but not before the bear got bored and wondered off.

This game ended up being a bit deadlier for those involved, with men (and a monkey) actually having to be replaced. Both players pulled ahead on levels (the spells were really flying) but the gold count was a bit lower having gotten a mix of scrolls, items and potions instead.

Offline VisOne

• Assistant
  • The Haqqi-salami
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 05:03:16 AM »
Good read mate.

May I suggest one thing though in regards to your foam core terrain. It will in my experience be best to in the future use MDF or masonite 3mm or thicker as your base boards. The foam core will degrade within a short period of time especially if you have any ambient humidity or they are exposed to any moisture. Its fine as a building material but bases always seem to warp and end up looking terrible.

Hope that helps.
What I do: Chef by trade, ass by choice; but I play the following when I'm not being either.
Infinity: Haqqislam is my main and then I own ALL THE THINGS!
Frostgrave: Nec

Offline Awesomeshotdude

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 05:13:48 AM »
A great start on the buildings. The table looks very cool!

Offline drfunk

• Student
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 04:02:59 PM »
Another day in the Frozen City, and this time The Cleric and his men stumble upon a very tall librarian! I ended up umpiring this game rather than playing.

The table set up with a triple street in the shade of an old tower.

The Sigilist current warband, now up to 2 Crossbows, 4 Infantry I believe, a Thief, a Thug and a rogue monkey (replacing the brave little monkey that stood up to a bunch of undead last game).

And the Thaumaturge (with a guest appearance from the players arm, oops).  Also having brought along most Infrantrymen and Crossbowmen, but also throwing in two hounds, a Knight and a Templar.

Normally I try to avoid pictures of models just "Standing there", but I like to think Tim the Summoner had already been nosing around prior (that particular piece of terrain was painted before we had heard of Frostgrave, happy coincidences abound!)

The Thaumaturge and two of his bigger new friends make a break for a token hidden in the wreck of the chariot, while the brave little monkey lives up to his predecessor and tries to hold them off. He actually last a good while, and didn't leave the table till nearly the last few turns when he was sadly sniped!

The Sigilist's apprentice gets a little cocky and teleports up onto the roof of the building over his opposite numbers team ...

Before getting Pushed by the Thaumaturge on the front of the store, landing nearly at the table edge!

Two of the Sigilists infantrymen take cover from a Crossbow sniper, to be sniffed out by a hound

While the Templar gets up close and personal defending the chariot cross roads. The knight grabbed the token and tried making a break for it, however the templar didn't last long as luck didn't appear to be on his side. Oopsie.

The Sigilist snuck around and managed to throw a Grenade off, catching the poor knight. He retreaded behind a building badly wounded, but the nice Cleric dived for cover too and even healed him so he didn't have to spend 3 hours hobbling off the board.

With the Sigilist apprentice making a break for it (and not risking being Pushed around any more), the younger Thaumaturge gets in the door way to attempt some support at the cross roads. Meanwhile, the Templar dealt with, the same Infrantryman has blood on the mind and picks a fight with them, beating them soundly upside the head...

...before turning his sights to the soldier inside trying to get off with the token from the roof. Give this man a medal! Though he lost this combat finally, and his opponents managed to get away with the tokens from inside.

As things wound down, most of both players had gotten too wounded to fight or fled the board, the Cleric made a last ditch mind control to turn Brother against Brother.

The game ended at 3 tokens each, with the sigilist finding a good deal of gold and new spell books, as well as a set of mail armour. The Cleric ended up with a mix of scrolls and potions, as well as a magic bow of +1 shoot. A good haul for both parties!