Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:37:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686616
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: eMills' adventures in a galaxy far, far away.  (Read 3915 times)

Offline eMills

• Scientist
eMills' adventures in a galaxy far, far away.
« on: August 09, 2015, 08:05:11 PM »
I got the Imperial Assault game when it first released and played it a few times. Loved the game. A little fiddly but great fun.

Well, the miniatures in my set are a mess. Miscasts out the ass and tons of terrible mold lines. I started to work on the figures again recently and I will use this thread to chronicle all of my Star Wars miniatures projects.

Here we go:

Gideon's lower body and arms were a disaster...  I've used hands from the Dreamforge Eisenkern accessory set, and modified legs from a Wargames Factory WW2 Russian. I also have a set of modified binoculars from the DF set that are ready to glue into his hand.

Fenn's weapon was basically non existent past his hand, so I replaced it from there out with a DF Eisenkern weapon. His hands are so mangled that I am likely going to replace them as well.

Gaarkhan's weapon was also badly miscast. Brass rod and plastic for the replacement. I also had to touch up or replace mangled areas of fur.

Jyn was, ironically, very well cast with fairly minimal mold lines. Unfortunately, I absolutely hate her pose... Plus, I prefer her as a lefty as shown on her card art. So, I've set out to make something I like better. Heavily modified Wargames Factory female survivor.

Diala continues the trend with bad miscasts and questionable sculpting. Her hands and head are from the WF female survivor box. Lightsaber is brass rod. Lots of sculpting done and quite a bit more to go.

Vader's lightsaber has been replaced with brass rod. No other modifications planned though.

"Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?" The Imperial Guards are short. Really. Especially compared to some of the other figures on the Imperial side. But still a veritable giant compared to the Officers. Seriously those guys look like kids playing dress up. I'll tackle them another time. Guard has a weapon made from a brass rod and a hand from a Fireforge spear wielder (Foot Sergeants, I think).

Lastly for today is the Stormtrooper. On top of being full of miscasts and crappy mold lines, I really hate duplicate poses. I also wanted to make a set of figures to represent the Elite version. Eisenkern trooper arms and backpack. 1/35 MG34 slightly modified for his weapon. Completely cut apart for the repose. Lots of details still to do.

I have the WalMart Millennium Falcon, a few Tie Crawlers, and various other figures that are still to come, in addition to the rest of the Imperial Assault set.

As always updates may be a bit slow, but I would love to hear opinions from folks.

Thanks for looking.

~Eric

Offline cuchulain23

• Scientist
Re: eMills' adventures in a galaxy far, far away.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 11:31:17 PM »
The figs look really nice. Excellent skills with the green stuff.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 11:40:27 PM »
You talented so and so. They look amazing  :-*  :-*  :-*
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 03:49:34 PM »
Your sculpting is really amazing! I was quite fortunate as my box set had relatively clean sculpts throughout. On the other hand some of the miniatures are sculpted so badly that it's hard to tell what is miscast and what is intended. Jyn's card art is fantastic, so why didn't we get that for a figure. And the pose for Gideon looks utterly ridiculous. I hadn't noticed the issue with the Imperial Guard, but I'm sure I will next time I'm looking through the box. I have a second Imperial Assault box that I haven't opened yet. After hearing about the miscasts in your box I'm afraid to.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 04:31:12 PM »
Lovely work but i would have taken the miscasts back tbh.

Dreamforge Eisenkern troopers are great for blasters and equipment btw
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 04:35:14 PM »
Yours will be the best of them all. Great job with the repairs and mods.

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 12:02:32 AM »
The figs look really nice. Excellent skills with the green stuff.
You talented so and so. They look amazing  :-*  :-*  :-*
Thanks you two. I appreciate the kind words.   :)

Your sculpting is really amazing! I was quite fortunate as my box set had relatively clean sculpts throughout. On the other hand some of the miniatures are sculpted so badly that it's hard to tell what is miscast and what is intended. Jyn's card art is fantastic, so why didn't we get that for a figure. And the pose for Gideon looks utterly ridiculous. I hadn't noticed the issue with the Imperial Guard, but I'm sure I will next time I'm looking through the box. I have a second Imperial Assault box that I haven't opened yet. After hearing about the miscasts in your box I'm afraid to.
I didn't hate the pose for Gideon nearly as much as I did for Jyn, but I still wasn't an huge fan. Sorry, hope I didn't make you too apprehensive about your other set. I think I was just exceptionally unlucky with mine. And I am very picky, which doesn't help at all.  lol
Lovely work but i would have taken the miscasts back tbh.
Dreamforge Eisenkern troopers are great for blasters and equipment btw
I have no local store so I ordered through Amazon. I didn't much feel like going through the hassle of returning it. Plus, I am an obsessive converter anyway, so... lol

DF Eisenkern is an excellent set, for sure.
Yours will be the best of them all. Great job with the repairs and mods.
I don't know about that, but they will certainly be unique. Thanks.  :)

Thanks again for taking time to comment everyone.

~Eric

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 01:48:18 AM »
I had no idea that people were having such problems with their IA figures. I don't own any yet so I wonder how common your issues are.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 12:18:33 PM »
Nice additions to the IA figures!  8) Im looking forward to the paint now :D

Cheers
Matt

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 05:28:28 PM »
Some very good work there  8) 8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/