Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:37:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Back of Beyond Walled town ( how far I have got on this on and off project)  (Read 7304 times)

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
So here goes  o_o

the only modelling I have ever done is airfix and some gw tanks and walkers.

never any scratch built buildings or anything at all.

I have built up this quick work in progress for some encouragement and feedback.

The overview shot:

The left close up:

The centre close up:

The right close up:

The buildings are made out of blue foamcore , then polyfiller, the windows are a mixture of cardboard and styrene strips

the rooves are mostly corrugated cardboaed from hobby shops and one bog roll tube.

painted with off white b&q anywhere I had lying around.

Walls are polystyrene packing material which will be polyfillered and painted and roofed.

I based the idea on a photo in a thread on BOB buildings ages ago. The monolith buildings and walls when I priced it all came to more than I could afford so I did this for now.

Cost to me

one order to antenocities a while back £22, polyfiller £10 paint free as I used some spare corrugated cardboard £3

Oh an dthe trees were in my antenocities order based up on cd's and made from seafoam. I think they make good spindly trees.

I have a couple of adobes to do as well as finish the painting etc...

I'm quite chuffed so far what do you think?

This would never have happened if I hadn't joined this forum so thank you all  8)

dodge

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Clean, functional scenery made from scratch. I like it  :D
I look forward to the photos of the completed compound (and the battle report showing it in use)

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
thank you matakishi I was quite nervous posting this as so many are far more talented than me.

it means a lot.

dodge

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
It certainly does the job. A word of warning though, it's addictive, although you do improve with practice.

For future buildings you might want to put more relief into the door and window frames, they help to give depth to a building facade.

The seafoam trees, are they the ones you grow? Any chance of a close up with a fig or two to show size? I've always been curious about those.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
looking good so far.
A base for each building helps to protect you hard work and I think helps with the look. You can add detail to the base.
Not sure what you have done with the windows from the size of photos. Maybe needs at better contrast between the glass and the frame.
looking forward to future photos.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
It certainly does the job. A word of warning though, it's addictive, although you do improve with practice.

For future buildings you might want to put more relief into the door and window frames, they help to give depth to a building facade.

The seafoam trees, are they the ones you grow? Any chance of a close up with a fig or two to show size? I've always been curious about those.

Thanks for the positive comments and help

I think you are right about the doors and windows . they were a bit of a headache possibly because i stuck them on then polyfillered. lessons to learn for the future are to render first then apply door and window frames.

The seafoam trees were from Antinocities workshop ready made used striaght from the box. Will try to post comparison pics with figures later next week if thats ok.

Gamer mac I will base each one , just like figures buildings may look better based. The buildings are all solid and windows only painted black so far another lesson for me may be to cut out the windows aswell.

thanks all.

dodge

Offline Captain Eaglehorn

• Assistant
    • My Blog
Looks very nice. :D I actually thought those buildings were monolith designs at first galance

Well Done Well done Well done
Eaglehorn

Visit us in the future wars board! at leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=12091.0

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
Looks very nice. :D I actually thought those buildings were monolith designs at first galance

Eaglehorn

Nice. Very similar in style to the Monolith stuff in my collection (and also the scratch-builds I based on them).
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Hey, its been a long time coming - I remember discussing it when I made one for the LAF- but it was worth the wait eh!!!!!

I made a silicon mould of my pantiles for the tops of my walls and cast them in plaster if you want to borrow it.

Svennn
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
Nice work Dodge.

I'm about to leap into the scary world of putting my own buildings together too. Gulp!

Don't!

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Re: Back of Beyond Walled town ( how far I have got on this on and off project)
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 10:40:17 PM »
Nice work Dodge.  8)
Far better than the first few buildings I attempted.  Like everything else in life, the more you do it, the better you bet at it!  lol
Your obviously already thinking about what did & didnt work.  Just use that to improve your next ones.  >:D
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 07:07:17 AM »
Guys thank you all very much.

I did base all of the designs on the Monolith style because it captured what I wanted, and I would buy them, but to get the number of buildings I wanted first off it just was a bit of an outlay for me.

The only issues are the size because I didn't have one to start off with so they may be a bit tall.

The windows and door frames and then painting those wooden bits.
I found it really hard so maybe be rendering first them sticking them on would be best or painting them first and then sticking them on. Don't know really.

I have as you can see a bit more to do so will post here when bits are completed.

Svenn I'll send you a pm later thank you for your kind offer.

Thunderchicken from my experience you just need to plunge in  lol but I think I would have purchased a couple in the style of what I was trying to do first.

thank you all again you have helped me see I'm on the right track.

dodge

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 08:42:24 AM »

Eaglehorn

Exactly what I was thinking, great stuff, looking good so far. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 09:08:50 AM »
The windows and door frames and then painting those wooden bits.
I found it really hard so maybe be rendering first them sticking them on would be best or painting them first and then sticking them on. Don't know really.

Well, if you apply the filler first, the surface will be less even, so they might not sit flush if you stuck them on afterwards. I'm really having a hard time explaining what I want to say next in English, so I hope it's intelligable (intelligible?). Maybe you could glue them in place first, like you did now, but make them stick out a mm or so more, so that when you apply the filler, they don't get burried in it, but maintain the relief (is that a word in english?)? In other words, assuming your window and doorframes were 1mm thick on this version, you lost a lot of the relief when applying the layer of filler. Now if you made them 2mm thich, you'd still have a good mm sticking out after the rendering, thus preserving the relief.
Does that make any sense at all?

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 09:25:28 AM »
Makes sense to me.

Nice job on the town so far, I keep meaning to have a go at making some buildings so its always good to see how other people do it.