Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:43:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690502
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Plancenoit buildings for our Waterloo game (Update 25.10. Finish!)  (Read 12961 times)

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
Re: Plancenoit buildings for our Waterloo game (Upd. 12.09.)
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2015, 09:24:32 PM »
In the meantime ... I started the roof construction from 0.8 mm plywood. This material is thin enough to be cut by knife but stiff enough to hold it's form and bear some handling. On the other hand it's nearly impossible to bend it. So although I tried to get the roof as precise as possible into the gable recesses, the roof always rebound some millimeters and wouldn't fit snugly. So for further steps the thing was fixed to the house with tape and the openings for three dormers were cut out, the dormer parts cut from the same material. On the opposite roof half some openings were cut for the destroyed areas.

From the back some fine strips were added showing some roof beams and pantile supports in the destroyed areas. As I glued a resin chimney in at this stage, I used it to fix the rebounding roof problem and glued a power magnet into it's bottom and into the attic floor. And it worked.

When the dormers were in place and the glue had dried, they were clad with thin woodstrips.

I also started the second building with it's large lean-to you can see prominently in Northern's painting where the Garde is fighting the prussians valiantly. I sandwitched pieces of foamboard with plastic brickwork sheets. They will get some plaster later. For the floor I used plastic cobblestone sheeting from Wills.

More about the second building tomorrow.
 :)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Plancenoit buildings for our Waterloo game (Update 12.09.)
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 11:08:36 PM »
0.8 ply - you're mad! Beautiful progress (including the magnet).
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2015, 01:20:16 AM »
Awesome work!  :o
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2015, 08:27:18 AM »
Coming along nicely.

Tony

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2015, 08:42:30 AM »
Looking great. Thanks for sharing

Offline Admiral Benbow

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Benbow Workshop
Re: Plancenoit buildings for our Waterloo game (Update 14.09.)
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 06:27:13 PM »
The second building would be a two-storey one with a large lean-to on one side. It will also be much more destroyed than the first one. Due to several attacks of the Prussians that day following heavy artillery bombardment most of the village buildings were nearly completely destroyed by cannon balls and fire. The Northern painting does only show the lean-to and not the building itself, but you can guess it must be a two-storey one as a gable wall is visible behind the lean-to. For the building itself I was guided again by the "First Legion" model.

As you can see basic construction is similar to the first building. The most time-consuming part for me is always the exact measuring and basic cutting of all the pieces and getting all the angles correct for later roofing. For the roof I had planned to use some laser-cut roof-beams from Stronghold Terrain, so I needed to follow their basic dimensions. This time not everything run smoothly as I had to cut the four pieces for the gables two times due to wrong measuring.  :?

After painting all interiour walls and giving the brickwork a basic dark red foundation the walls could be glued together around a prepared planked floor. The first floor was cut from balsa wood and strips again, much more destroyed as before.

As I had the wood strips out, roof construction for the lean-to could be done also. A very delicate affair as everything would have to fit into the small wall complex and would have the correct spacings to provide the support structure for the roofing tiles I want to add later.

The walls of the lean-to had been plastered already and everything went together quite nicely in the end.

On to roof construction - next time!

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Plancenoit buildings for our Waterloo game (Update 14.09. second building)
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2015, 10:59:01 AM »
Wow - this is looking spectacular.  Thanks for sharing so many photographs of each stage, which will help anyone to follow your building techniques easily.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 06:09:51 PM by Hu Rhu »

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2015, 10:12:44 PM »
Follow but not copy
great work the detail is amazing :-* :-* :-*

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2015, 07:45:24 AM »
You are a genious!!!!

:o :o :o :o :o

Offline Zaheer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2015, 04:43:33 PM »
Wonderful textures, and excellent step-by-step photos!

Offline DELTADOG

• Mad Scientist
  • The two-handed G.E.C.K
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2015, 05:18:59 PM »
Great stuff! But to bring some constructive criticsm in, the different Scale of the bricks that form the chimney and the house itself looks strange and brings some misfit in the overall good look imo.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2015, 06:03:07 PM »
Lovely details.  :-*

Offline Admiral Benbow

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Benbow Workshop
Re: Plancenoit buildings for our Waterloo game (Update 24.09. roofs)
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2015, 07:44:41 PM »
For the first building I did the roof myself using plywood and paper shingles, but the roof of the second and much more destroyed house should be more detailed, so I choose to use new materials from Stronghold Terrain. They are working on a series of first-class ruin sets for WW2 due to be released in the near future (have a look at their Facebook page). I managed to get the laser-cut roof beam set and some of the terracotta shingles.

The roof beam set is a very nice laser-cut kit to construct 9 girders and enough battens to connect them all. But - it's for sure not for the faint-heartet. You need to plan from the start for this set to fit on a building, and you need much endurance to get it properly finished. Most time-consuming is the fitting of the battens.

As you see the girders were exactly aligned on the grid of a cutting mat and then fixed with small strips of tape. I would not recommend to try this in situ on the building. To fix all girders into position a ridge pole was cut from balsa and notched to take all girders. This was then glued with wood glue and hold into position for some time to let the glue set but not harden completely.

A couple of battens were then also glued into position to give the construction even more strength. Another three roof beams from balsa were then glued under this construct which will in the end give enough strengh to let evrything harden completely. As I said, I would not recommend this for a beginner ...

And yes, you have to build a complete and intact roof construction first to destroy it afterwards brutally.  8) I don't think it would have been possible to do the destroyed version from the start. At this time a lot of materials and things had piled up on my working table:

The small lean-to had got its terracotta shingles.

A very nice and realistic looking product which doesn't need any painting in my eyes, but you must plan and work even more precise than with the roof materials. The battens have to be positioned extremely accurate to get the correct spacing for the single terracotta shingles and to allow for a firm positioning of all the rows. In the end I like the effect very much.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 07:49:39 PM by Admiral Benbow »

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2015, 08:21:33 PM »
You sir are a great modeller/painter.
Very inspirational thread. :-* :-*

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2015, 10:27:05 PM »
Beautiful work all around. Your attention to detial is breath taking and I learn lots looking at your pictures. These terracotta shingles would come in very handy for roman buldings, too. Where do you get them from?