Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 09:37:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish - Multi-Player Barroom Brawl  (Read 3060 times)

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish - Multi-Player Barroom Brawl
« on: September 30, 2015, 09:25:22 AM »

Last Saturday we had our first game of Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish.
My son Lewis, had invited two of his mates over for the weekend, so we needed to develop a mechanism to easily determine initiative order and fate allocation for playing with more than two players. We did this with some chits that we drew from a bag that gave us both activation and fate. This worked really well for multi-players and is described in more detail in my hobby blog.

We played the introductory 'Barroom Brawl' scenario, which with four players was chaotic, but great fun.

Their was rather a lot of ungallant behavior from the younger generation, the rules for kicking a stunned opponent for example came into play on several occasions.

Lots more photos and description of how the Otherworld game mechanism works in blog article @ Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish - Multi Player Barroom Brawl
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline frogimus

• Librarian
  • Enthusiastically Apathetic
Re: Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish - Multi-Player Barroom Brawl
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 10:04:16 AM »
Quite a good idea to make the chits for multiplayer.  I wonder if there's still yet a good mechanism for preventing the 2v1 and 3v1 gang-ups that tend to happen. I think maybe the wandering  monster aspect of multiplayer could be easily addressed by making the encounter monsters unaligned to any party and from a random pool.

Multiplayer and XP/campaign system were the only two weaknesses I saw in OFS. Glad to see a good solution to this.
"Never rub another man's rhubarb!"- The Joker(Jack Nicholson)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 11:59:53 AM »
That is a WONDERFULLY photogenic game...INSPIRING STUFF!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline SgtHulka

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 02:13:15 PM »
Looks great!

I would love to see your cards.

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 02:40:34 PM »
OK, I will see what I can do with uploading the cards and if enough people are interested in tokens for multiplayer initiative & fate, I'll have a word with Richard & Karl and see if I can make some available to buy.

Offline SgtHulka

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 04:58:07 PM »
If the community comes up with monster cards I may have to put together an Otherworld Quest hack.

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 08:29:14 PM »
Not quiet sure what an 'Otherworld Quest hack' might be? but sounds good!

Offline SgtHulka

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 01:31:55 AM »
Not quiet sure what an 'Otherworld Quest hack' might be? but sounds good!

I was thinking of a Warhammer Quest conversion but considering Otherworld's inspiration maybe "Appendix A: Random Dungeon Generation" would be a more appropriate title.

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 09:24:39 AM »
That sounds like a great idea, I'd be up for that it would work realy well with our Terra-Block Old School Dungeon tiles!
I will try to make the cards we used for barroom brawl available today, so you can see the format.
We are planning to have a proper dungeon skirmish game at the weekend to try out the adventure deck, so I will have some heroes and monsters to add next week.

Offline psullie

• Scientist
    • Paul's Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 11:51:41 AM »
I was thinking of a Warhammer Quest conversion but considering Otherworld's inspiration maybe "Appendix A: Random Dungeon Generation" would be a more appropriate title.

hi Sgt, I remember way back using those tables to DM a game, lots of fun especially that their seemed to be more 'down' options than up - pure random fun

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 12:41:39 PM »

These are the tokens that I made to handle multiplayer initiative / fate allocation.

Basically each turn every one draws one of the round tokens that has a number from 1-36 and an amount of fate.
Then each player is given one of the Octagonal counters that say 1st, 2nd etc. This is their initiative order (I use these for D&D & Frostgrave to to help remember the order people activate). They are also given the fate points on the token. I worked these out so the probabilities of gettin 0,1,2,3 fate are the same as the opposed dice roll for the two player game.

Full details of game in action @ http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/epages/950003459.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950003459/Categories/Hobby_Pages/Old_School_Dungeon/Otherworld_Fantasy_Skirmish_-_Multi_Player_Barroom_Brawl

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 11:24:54 AM »
I had a lot of email asking about the terrain that we used for this Barroom brawl so we have put together a Terra-Block set that has all of the pieces needed.

It will retail at £125, but we have it on pre-order to ship on 11th December at 15% discount (£106.25). This is our largest set to date, covering a 60cm (two foot) square with stairs up to first floor areas, opening doors, glazed windows and furniture included.

Full details at :http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/Terra-Blocks-Set-A-Bar-for-All-Seasons