Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:55:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: More in hope than expectation...  (Read 5268 times)

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
More in hope than expectation...
« on: October 09, 2015, 11:02:34 PM »
There seem to be a dearth of real wargamers on the site now a days judging from the little feedback on some posts. Perhaps the hobby is changing with the rise of the Bijou game where 30 figures constitutes an army? Who knows?
Anyway, for any interested soul who wonders this way inadvertently, the second half of our ACW game is up on my Blog right now ~
http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/a-bloody-affair-at-whites-farmstead.html
A view of the Union centre late in the game ~

Pop over if you are inclined that way sometime and see what we managed.
David
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Shipka

• Mastermind
    • RussoTurkishWar1877
Re: More in hope than expectation...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 11:52:50 PM »
David, I am a confirmed 28mm wargamer but the price of metal these days make it impossible to afford large armies if  one has limited means, this is why I have gone over to Bloody Big Battles rule system where a stand of figs csn be either 500-1000 men

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 03:18:04 AM »
I am not one of those gamers. Love the look of the Battle .love the Dixon figures ,I have some incorporated in my army,I like mixing manufactors to keep it motley.I do this hobby for the Show and the game,yes Shipka I understand the cost,but you can find deals at shows,to keep costs down,E-Bay and so forth. I think in our Group in Omaha,we must have about 80,000 painted and 30,000 unpainted give or take ,most 28mm,also though 45 years of the hobby. Keep up the goodwork.

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 06:56:45 AM »
A splendid looking game, great to see such a spectacle other than at a show. I do agree such armies are becoming a rarity, it appears the "cheap" plastic revolution as not helped to revive the big army either. Lack of time, the "ooh shiney" must have some of these and some of these, every figure must be painted to scale modeller standard and the instant gratification culture all play a part no doubt.
I sadly are as guilty as the next man in some cases, but still aspire to getting large forces on the table, I'm sure I'm not alone.
Keep ploughing the furrow old chap, many more do lack of comments withstanding I'm sure.

Offline toggy

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 07:04:15 AM »
Great looking game Dave.

I suppose that's the appeal of the hobby, that you can field armies like this or just a couple of dozen figures, but still enjoy what you're getting out of it.

I'm definitely in your camp however, together with the League of Augsburg we will be having a bash at Waterloo next weekend,& I'm just finishing basing 60 Guard Chasseur a Cheval. Look fantastic, although they've cost a small fortune to put on the table.

Keep doing what you're doing & most of all enjoy it.

Bob

Offline kingsmt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 07:28:50 AM »
Well done. I also enjoy your site. Excellent stuff.

I also fail to understand why so many people view a post and then can't be bothered to write a simple comment.
Isn't that the purpose of the LAF?

I understand your frustration.

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 07:46:27 AM »
That is the game table I like the more. Sadly, good figures are too expensive and painting time is scarce so I´m more devoted to skirmish games. But that game table is wonderful!

Offline PAULSPENCE

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 07:59:40 AM »
Hi David,

Enjoyed your post.

Agree that wargaming should be about big battles using 28mm figures on a 1:20 scale!

On the other hand I think that there are skirmish games around as well as the entry-level, both money and space wise, which are good too and allow more folk to join in the hobby.

But there's nothing better than a BIG GAME as demonstrated by the Plancenoit GDB game I played in May:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=43BE0FBDEFBC66A6%21274&cid=43BE0FBDEFBC66A6&group=0&v=photos

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 08:06:44 AM »
As with all your posts eye candy of the highest order.  Having regular opponents dos shell.  As a 28mm man myself we do appreciate you posting pictures and reports but often I do not make time to log in and comment.

Please keep up the great work! 

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 08:51:16 AM »
Hello David  :)

To be fair I don't think this forum was ever aimed at, or has ever been a natural home for 'real wargamers' - if by that you mean, as I think you do, people who like massed formation battles in 'traditional' periods like ACW, Napoleonics, Ancients, or WW2.
It's always been aimed at, as the name suggests, adventure games, which tend to be more skirmish orientated and in more fringe periods and genres. So, nice-looking as your games always are, I'm not surprised they don't attract more comment. The audience for that kind of wargaming is very much a minority on this particular forum, and I don't really think that's anything new.

I also fail to understand why so many people view a post and then can't be bothered to write a simple comment.

I understand your frustration.

Once again, nobody is under any obligation to comment on anyone else's posts. That isn't the purpose of the LAF.
If I post something and I don't get many comments, then my assumption is that what I've posted is insufficiently interesting for people to bother commenting. Not that there's something wrong with people for not commenting. It tells me I am probably aiming at the wrong audience with that particular topic. Different internet forums cater for different wargaming interests. 

Personally I find a lack of comment less frustrating than those who contribute throwaway comments on thread after thread, just for the sake of saying something because they feel they have to.

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 09:28:25 AM »
I think a large game and table look superb, as said before it's cost. I also think you need to keep interest in one period over a long period of time. If I could do this, I'd stick with the Zulu war. The thing is every time new figures come out in other periods, I've got to snap them up.
Anyway your figures and game look great, and it would like to see the ACW take off again.
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 10:05:55 AM »
David, Phil and Co.'s games are always excellent adverts for the hobby and this is no exception.  :)

To be fair I don't think this forum was ever aimed at, or has ever been a natural home for 'real wargamers'

Indeed the clue is in the title 'Lead' (and of course plastic) 'Adventure'. Actual 'real wargaming' (and I'll agree with David on what this is - lots of figures in the 'Grand Manner') content is a relatively new phenomenon as far as this forum's content goes. When I joined it was largely RPG, 'adventure-skirmish-semi-RPG' and to a point 'skirmish gaming'. Within that context 'historicals' wasn't really a large part of that either. Things change and now 'historicals' as a whole does compete with the 'other stuff' - but 'big-battle wargaming' is still a niche interest here.

It's not that it isn't welcome, new boards were created to accommodate these interests after all, it's just that the bulk of members don't play these games, for whatever reason - which is of course an interesting topic that could be opened on 'Discussion'.

Personally I find a lack of comment less frustrating than those who contribute throwaway comments on thread after thread, just for the sake of saying something because they feel they have to.

If only there was time to view everything that was interesting and leave a worthwhile comment and read through and comment on everything on my blog list too. Added to which I have to read every post on the boards here I moderate, whether they interest me or not. In David's case (and quite a few others) I see his posts here and as I follow his blog, there too... should I post a comment in both places?

Personally I would take the number of views as being an appreciation of what you've done. As the good Captain says, lots of empty platitudes, throw away comments and the like, can be frustrating as you scroll through them looking for the pictures of what you really want to see. The forum averages 28 new topics per day... have you got time to comment on all of them?

A lot of us out here are 'time poor'. If I'm commenting on the forum, that means that something else has to give elsewhere and my hobby isn't 'forum commenting'.
 ;)

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 10:14:13 AM »
It's always been aimed at, as the name suggests, adventure games, which tend to be more skirmish orientated and in more fringe periods and genres. So, nice-looking as your games always are, I'm not surprised they don't attract more comment. The audience for that kind of wargaming is very much a minority on this particular forum, and I don't really think that's anything new.

Once again, nobody is under any obligation to comment on anyone else's posts. That isn't the purpose of the LAF.

I'm sure you are right on both counts Richard, but I will continue to evangelise those poor souls who fiddle with a few figures and think they are warpgaming, not to mention the aberration which is plastic, zombies, gnomes and fairies. ;)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 10:34:19 AM »

;)

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 10:44:48 AM »

;)

lol

I'm not all that interested in Horse and Musket period stuff right now, I'm afraid. Most of my war games revolve around periods that, although include large numbers of troops, often include them over impossibly vast areas, and thus only portions can be fought at anyone time.  ;)