Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 08:48:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Perry Arrsuf Conversions; Eureka Moment! UPDATED 14/10  (Read 2623 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Perry Arrsuf Conversions; Eureka Moment! UPDATED 14/10
« on: October 13, 2015, 09:06:45 AM »
This is the start of a project that I'm going to be working on in between bouts of painting. I figured that it's about time I learned to push the old putty and what better way to do it than start a project where I have to do a lot of conversion work as armours had changed from those depicted in the Perry First Crusade range by the time of the Third Crusade and the Battle of Arsuf.

I'm working on four models at a time which I'll be painting up when I have done the requisite number and will be posting pics here too.

I'm very open to constructive criticism but if you do so, please leave some handy hints at how I can make things better :)

More info and pics can be found on my Just Add Water blog:

http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/battle-of-arsuf-christian-conversions-i.html

Here are a couple of sample pics, there are more on my blog! ;)

Cheers,
Darrell.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 10:13:01 PM by Atheling »

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
Re: Battle of Arsuf Perry Conversions; The Beginning!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 09:25:40 AM »
Great start.

I was wondering if some of the Curtney's heads might save you some conversion dramas?

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=73391.0
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 09:29:49 AM »
Great start.

Thanks Keith, very kind :)

I was wondering if some of the Curtney's heads might save you some conversion dramas?

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=73391.0

I'm going to order some of their heads for the 'period' but use them as models for learning to push the putty as one of the main aims of the project is to improve my conversion and v=eventually learn how to sculpt.... it's going to be a very steep learning curve  o_o o_o :)

Darrell.

Offline The Mystic Spiral

• Librarian
    • Mystic Spirals Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 12:34:14 PM »
This is the start of a project that I'm going to be working on in between bouts of painting. I figured that it's about time I learned to push the old putty and what better way to do it than start a project where I have to do a lot of conversion work as armours had changed from those depicted in the Perry First Crusade range by the time of the Third Crusade and the Battle of Arsuf.

I'm working on four models at a time which I'll be painting up when I have done the requisite number and will be posting pics here too.

I'm very open to constructive criticism but if you do so, please leave some handy hints at how I can make things better :)

Ok, you asked for it....

It's looking ok, but you're going about it the hard way.

For the barding, flatten out your putty on a bit of cling film, or plastic baggy. I like to use a bit of Nivea to keep it non sticky(and it works wonders on the face). Some use talc. Either works. Cut it vaguely to the shape you need and leave it for an hour.

Then when it's a bit stiffer and easier to work with add some folds by bending it around and bung it on the horse.

A bit of fresh putty is useful to stick it down, though if you are brave you can use a spot of superglue.

Of course the really easy way is buy some gee gees from The Beast or get a box of Fireforge placcy cos they already have barding.

Hope that helps a bit, pm if I need to explain more,
J
It wasn't me. Honest. This big monkey did it and ran off.
MysticSpiralsMonkeyBusinessBlog

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 12:47:24 PM »
I like what you're doing Darrell.  :D

Strangely enough, I'm at a similar point at the moment and am at the point I'm going to throw a few sculpts together, probably at a much slower rate than yourself (two kids under five can do that..). But, ill be watching this thread with interest.
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 01:24:23 PM »
Ok, you asked for it....

It's looking ok, but you're going about it the hard way.

[grits teeth!]Seriously though, I don't mind at all :)

For the barding, flatten out your putty on a bit of cling film, or plastic baggy. I like to use a bit of Nivea to keep it non sticky(and it works wonders on the face). Some use talc. Either works. Cut it vaguely to the shape you need and leave it for an hour.

Ah, I did use a nice flat baggie but only used water and not Nivea to flatten put the putty so maybe that's why I've got marks in it?

Then when it's a bit stiffer and easier to work with add some folds by bending it around and bung it on the horse.

So, no building up the under areas that I'm planning to sculpt over?

A bit of fresh putty is useful to stick it down, though if you are brave you can use a spot of superglue.[/quote]

Also, I didn't leave the putty to harden for very long at all. So I'm leaving it to harden a little (more than i have done so thus far) and then adding it to the model with a bit of freshly mixed putty?

Of course the really easy way is buy some gee gees from The Beast or get a box of Fireforge placcy cos they already have barding.

Nah, one of the main reasons for doing the project, fascination with Medieval Warfare aside, is to learn how to do good conversion work and not just the odd little job. Ultimately I want to be able to sculpt proper and these are my first real tentative steps in that direction :)

Hope that helps a bit, pm if I need to explain more,

PM incoming J  lol

Thanks for your help mate- appreciated! :)

Darrell.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 01:26:45 PM »
I like what you're doing Darrell.  :D

Strangely enough, I'm at a similar point at the moment and am at the point I'm going to throw a few sculpts together, probably at a much slower rate than yourself (two kids under five can do that..). But, ill be watching this thread with interest.

Glad to know that I'm not alone :)

It's really interesting..... I copied of Soapy's pics of the Welsh Kingdoms sculpts (mainly faces) years ago and have kept a copy so I'll be having a go at faces soon!! Very scary and I cannot promise that the results will be published for a very long time!!  lol lol

Darrell.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Re: Perry Arrsuf Conversions; Eureka Moment! UPDATED 14/10
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 10:13:19 PM »
Thanks to the very kind advice offered by two sculptors (I'm not going to name drop ;) ) I've managed to come up with something half decent!

Pic from Yesterday:

Todays work:

There's more info on my Just Add Water Blog:

http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/battle-of-arsuf-christian-conversions.html

Cheers,
Darrell.

Offline The Mystic Spiral

• Librarian
    • Mystic Spirals Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »
Big improvement there.

J

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 11:21:31 AM »
Massive improvement comparing the two. The cloth looks like its hanging properly/realistically on the updated horse. Good work.  ;)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 01:28:40 PM »
Big improvement there.

J

Thanks J, you were more than helpful and it is greatly appreciated :)

Massive improvement comparing the two. The cloth looks like its hanging properly/realistically on the updated horse. Good work.  ;)

Thanks mon ami. I'm over the moon with the results; all in one day too!  :o :)

Darrell.