Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:00:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689767
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ice Toad painting guide: page 4 (Toad King Castings)  (Read 11097 times)

Offline Shaved Dwarf

• Scientist
Re: Giant Slugs page 3. (Toad King Castings)
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2015, 08:34:01 PM »
*shudder*

If a miniature model makes me shudder, I think this is the highest praise I can give to a sculptor and painter...

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2015, 02:41:36 PM »
I painted my first of the Kickstarters mini's today, thought you might like to see it, Blackstone:

Thank you again for making these wonderful miniatures! He was an absolute joy to paint up, felt like I barely had to do anything, he almost painted himself.

Offline nullBolt

• Bookworm
    • nullBolt
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2015, 04:27:44 PM »
I painted my first of the Kickstarters mini's today, thought you might like to see it, Blackstone:

Thank you again for making these wonderful miniatures! He was an absolute joy to paint up, felt like I barely had to do anything, he almost painted himself.

Nice try.

I know that's a frog you've just taken a picture of.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2015, 05:30:03 PM »
Nice try.

I know that's a frog you've just taken a picture of.

Heh, nope:

:D

Offline nullBolt

• Bookworm
    • nullBolt
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2015, 09:45:01 PM »
<snip>

You are very good at keeping that frog still.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2015, 09:54:39 PM »
The trick is to drown a fat fly in booze, feed it to the frog and wait 2 minutes. You have to be quick then, because after 3 minutes it either throws up or falls asleep with a goofy expression...  ;D

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2016, 09:40:41 PM »

He's great. Love the brown and tan skin colour and the eye is very realistic. Did you give it a gloss varnish?

Have a few pics of the stirges from the campaign painted up. These were based with 0.8mm brass rod for flight stands singularly and in 2's, 3's and 4's. Will make moving them around a bit easier in an encounter!

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2016, 10:03:49 PM »
Did you give it a gloss varnish?

Yup, painted the eyes in a mix of brown and (gold) metallic, adding more metallic towards the location of the pupil. The very edge of the pupil is actually a grey metallic colour. Tweaked it a bit with orange and red glazes and painted in the pupil. Finished it off with two layers of gloss varnish.

I really like the way you painted those stirges!

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
  • Stop the world.I want to get off!
    • My Miniature collections on Flickr
Re: Stirges page 4. (Toad King Castings)
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2016, 03:28:54 PM »
Terrific thread!
Great ideas and great painting.
laf medals by Robert  (steam flunky), auf Flickrhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/torq42/sets/

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2016, 06:57:54 PM »
The Stirges are cute little suckers...GREAT color choices, bases, & brushwork. VERY NICELY DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Shaved Dwarf

• Scientist
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2016, 10:39:27 PM »
The Stirges are cute little suckers...GREAT color choices, bases, & brushwork. VERY NICELY DONE!
Well, I cannot add anything to this praise...

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2016, 08:36:55 AM »
Thanks for the comments! The stirges were painted up in 1st ed ad&d colours. Rusty red body, yellow legs and eyes and a pink proboscis!

painted the eyes in a mix of brown and (gold) metallic, adding more metallic towards the location of the pupil. The very edge of the pupil is actually a grey metallic colour. Tweaked it a bit with orange and red glazes and painted in the pupil. Finished it off with two layers of gloss varnish.
I'm going to give this method a try. The eye is totally convincing! :)

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2016, 09:32:47 PM »
The new website was launched recently with a little guides section. Already added was the Fire Toad guide from this thread. I'd had a few requests for an Ice Toad painting guide and finally got round to making one! For those interested read on...

Step One: Paints used are Vallejo and the colours are Night Blue, Pale Yellow, Off White, and Blue Ink for the skin. For the eyes Scrofulous Brown, Pale Yellow, and Black. After priming the model mix Night Blue and Off White to a cold pale blue and paint a base coat on the toad.

Step Two: Once the base coat is even begin to paint the underside and the legs in a progressively lighter tone. It's difficult to see in the WIP photos but adding a little pale yellow to these lighter areas works very well.

Step 3: At this stage the inside of the mouth is messy so mix up a darker blue tone and paint this in the mouth. Then the teeth can be picked out in lighter tones.

Step 4: Next use little blue ink to wash the rear of the toads legs and back. Provides a little more contrast in the blue colours.

Step 5: Continue painting the pale underside and legs of the toad in lighter colours. You can see in the picture below that the models is starting to look like my original Ice Toad.

Step 6: So far the warts have been left alone. Now paint them in a lighter colour layering up to almost pure Off White on the extreme highlights. (This stage could be done when painting the other light areas).

Stage 7: The eyes were painted in a similar way to the Fire Toad although paler this time. I used Scrofulous Brown, 50/50 Scrofulous Brown/Pale Yellow and then Pale Yellow. Once the pupils have been painted on a bit of lighter contrast can be painted on the very edge of the pupil.

All that remains is to paint the base and tidy up the base edge, matt varnish, and the model is finished.

Thanks for looking!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2016, 09:46:08 PM »
<snip>

Had to inform my girlfriend people were in fact not posting pictures of actual frogs, but painted models.  lol
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)