Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:44:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690924
  • Total Topics: 118358
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: FIW Winter Project  (Read 15486 times)

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Re: FIW Winter Project
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 03:38:57 PM »
the FIW is looking more and more attractive to me ever min.

FIW is a fascinating period to game. It has a little bit of everything that might intrigue a wargamer, and is as colorful as the European theater in its own woodsy way. There are great units on both sides that bring a fun mix of European and Native tactics and clothing.

Lowtardog, I know it might not be entirely accurate, but I know generals were permitted a great deal of leeway in their dress. I would find someone on horseback with lots of braiding and then gild the fleur-de-lys, as it were. But doesn't Redoubt have a FIW general vignette?

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 03:46:03 PM »
the FIW is looking more and more attractive to me ever min.

FIW is a fascinating period to game. It has a little bit of everything that might intrigue a wargamer, and is as colorful as the European theater in its own woodsy way. There are great units on both sides that bring a fun mix of European and Native tactics and clothing.

Lowtardog, I know it might not be entirely accurate, but I know generals were permitted a great deal of leeway in their dress. I would find someone on horseback with lots of braiding and then gild the fleur-de-lys, as it were. But doesn't Redoubt have a FIW general vignette?

I want to avoid Redoubt as I know they are big ;D I have my eye on the Prussian and Russian generals from Foundry as they look nice, I know a little bigger but should fit with the Crusader stuff.

Also saw that Crusader are doing infantry with the coats with turnbacks down and later in the new year Grenadiers etc
This could get out of hand lol

Next question any other suggestions for French milice?

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 04:03:58 PM »
Foundry Marlburian Dukes & Princes maybe? Lovely poncy stuff, utterly ahistorical but if you can't have a well-dressed French general than why get out of bed in the morning?

You've got me on the militia. I'd use generic French-painted (gray-white coats w/blue cuffs) Marlburians, but my answer to everything is Marlburians. But why not? The militia always gets second rate stuff.

Edit: I'm not going to apologize for going Marlburian! I just grabbed the Funcken and the uniform of 1736 is effectively Marlburian, and the continental updates didn't take effect until the war was begun in Europe, so the colonies would have had to make do with second-rate uniforms, if anything.

So Marlburians forever, damn your eyes! lol
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 04:08:27 PM by PeteMurray »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 04:31:03 PM »
not to hijake this thread but dose any one have any links to some good refrance imfo on the FIW? I think I might take it up as a new historical project myself.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 05:41:27 PM »
Citizen Sade, had exactly this picture on my mind, but sadly not on my PC. Thanks for posting.
Since Lowtardog asked for hooded jackets (capots) I replied to this. According to Osprey and some French resources these jackets were, as said, from old (grey-white) coats. The sleeved waistcoat shown here is part of a soldier's summer dress - simply take off the baggy uniform coat. Besides, the painting isn't accurate in showing silver buttons; they should be gilded as the lace colour is gold, too. Oh my... ;)

Some resources suggest fatigue caps with white 'bags'. It's unlikely to be, but I added them to my French just for fun. Here's a (not very advantageous) pic of some of them, mainly Conquest, one Redoubt Regular in the middle.

Ooh now I am at home they look great and the redoubt figure fits in very well

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 05:55:35 PM »
Regarding militiamen, as mentioned above, you could use American militia/minutemen from Foundry's & Perry's AWI ranges as they are wearing somewhat old-fashioned civilian clothes. Almost perfect fit for the FIW. Another one is to pick up all non-uniformed soldiers from Conquest's own range. No one cares if they came originally from a British blister. ;)

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 06:08:15 PM »
Sounds like a great project! I have one of everything from Conquest painted except the marine troops. Those are languishing in my pile of neglected lead. I need to get at them ASAP!

If you decide to do some of the other side, the Eureka F&I provincials and highlanders in campaign dress match Perry and Conquest very well!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 07:24:09 PM »
Those redoubt French Compagne Marine look very nice as do the regulars, do they all match so well with the Conquest ones? as I thought they would be much larger from previous figures I have bought from them?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2008, 07:28:23 PM »
Nice project Karl! I have 70 or so of the Redoubt Woodland Indians. Very nice. It's a great era both to paint and to game. Will enjoy watching your progress on this one. Good luck!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 01:01:54 AM »
So what rulse sets would people recomend for play the FIW?

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 08:55:32 AM »
So what rulse sets would people recomend for play the FIW?

What do you want? Historical skirmish, Hollywood-style heroic skirmish or, as far as it's possible in the F&IW, big battle rules?

And, if it's skirmish, do you want lots of figures or just a few? My recommendations, at least, would vary depending on what you're looking for.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
Grrrrrrrrrr >:(

I've just decided to try and finish my Zulu War armies, have promised myself to buy all of Malamute's Zorro range, several regiments of the Perry's ACW, I am still trying to get my "Future Wars" forces sorted, Darkest Africa is a sponge that will never be sated and now you have re-ignited my interest in the FIW  :(

I will not get tempted into buying loads more figures, you horrible man!

I do have plenty of forest and some ACW buildings that would do, along with plenty of uniform and history guides and I only recently watched "Last Of The Mohicans" again........ Oh dear  lol

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 10:08:43 AM »
...have promised myself to buy all of Malamute's Zorro range,

:D :D :D

You will live to regret that remark, at the last count the production list stood at 80 or so figures and is steadily rising with suggestions from my good friends here... ;)

I love the FIW period, I bought loads of the Redoubt figures when they were first released, then lost interest when The sculptor changed.
I think this is a very worthwhile project and look forward to seeing it develop. Those Conquest figures are delightful. Go for it Karl :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 10:21:43 AM »
...have promised myself to buy all of Malamute's Zorro range,

:D :D :D

You will live to regret that remark, at the last count the production list stood at 80 or so figures and is steadily rising with suggestions from my good friends here... ;)

Maybe, but I never said how long it would take me to buy them all  lol

It's a bit like my Darkest Africa, which is mostly skirmish/small unit scale, in that because I don't need to buy by the regiment or brigade, I tend to buy lots of small orders at regular intervals. Because of that, I don't seem to have collected all that much until I come to check the box of lead. At the last count [Sunday] I had 300 or so DA/Sudan figures left to paint for my "skirmish games". And that's without including the Zulu War stuff....  lol

Speaking of figure suggestions for Zorro, I'll just pop over to the Swashbuckling board.........